• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Etymology of the word "Shule"

Where did the word "Shule" originate?

• Total voters
Skoobie (which doesn't even mean the same thing everywhere.)

ya still not sure what this one is...especiallly since its usd in other activities as well. I always figured its suppossed to mean running away on the ground...like Scooby does...

Schule has been around as long as I have been playing so since 2001ish at least. I read it in an article and some of the older (well playing longer) pros around said they had heard it awhile back. Definitely nothing to do with DGCR. But just like with chiefing you can call it a million different things and the people who do it will know what you are talking about.

Frank's latest detective work helped unearth this:

b. To schule in, ? to remove from sight, to take out of the way.

3. To shoole (muck)...

from the Scottish.

Gentlemen, I believe we have tracked down the origin of the word "shule" or probably more properly "schule!"

Jukeshoe: <---Finally gotz some satisfaction, yo!

Thanks again Frank!!!! :)
re-post for those of us who give up early

I've heard Appalachian relatives use the word outside the context of disc golf, so the above post rings true.

First heard it watching a video with Billy Crump's commentary.

Never heard it anywhere before then.

I can't believe I read this whole frickin' thread.

But (English degree with etymology fascination) I'm not surprised I like it. :clap:

*makes mental note to promote further use of term "shule"*

A bunch of our terminology is made up. Hyzer. Flippy. Skoobie (which doesn't even mean the same thing everywhere.) Shule is just another term we use.

"Dude tried a skoobie with a flippy XD and ended up in the shule. He should have just hyzered an Aviar up there."

99.9% of the American population has no idea what that means. Then there are us. Aren't we special?

Yes, but "underbrush" is already a word that has that concept covered. No new one needed.

Never heard before DGCR. A cleaner word that the others I used to use when my disc goes into it

The Answer

Dear Jukeshoe...I have the answer you seek albeit 2 years after posing the question. I accidently found this thread when doing a forum search for my missing DG buddies (mentioned below).

I scanned many of the answers which ranged from ridiculous to near accurate. The origin of this word (and others) had their beginning at Georgia Southern University circa 1982. This was the year that a few of us began playing object golf on the campus. The "we" had names and they were Chris Sikorski, Bryant Hendricks, and Rob Wright (yours truly).

"We" were a pretty tight group and like other groups developed our own lingo for words that may not be appropriate in normal conversations yet we found a need to use on a regular basis.

Which brings us to Shule. Definition coming shortly.

I mentioned that one of the replies actually came close to the real answer. He referenced Chris Sikorski as being the inventor of said word. I cant give him 100% credit because he said he was from North Carolina. If Chris were to read that today, I'm sure his response would be "I ain't no damn Tarheel".

Definition coming shortly.

Fast forward to 1985. We were out of college; playing golf at Chastain Park and Wills Park in Atlanta. The word Shule (and others) became commonplace among the regular golfers. Even John David and Patti Kunkle caught on with the terms and that was the beginning. 10 years of regular touring around the Southeast and many World Championships later...next thing we know it started showing up in magazines.

Shule:

Original Meaning: Verb, to defecate. As in...Call me back in 5; I have to shule.

Subsequent and Eventual Meaning: Pronoun. Underbrush from where your next shot is not fun. As in...Damn lousy drive; I landed in the shule.

Latest posts