• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ever play a course, that just kicks your rear.

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Ever play a course that makes you question how good of a player you are?

For me its Cedar Hills in Jack Brooks Park in Hitchcock , TX. I have played that course 4 times, and all 4 times, it has destroyed me. Some of those holes I get a 7 or worse! Its the hardest course I have ever played. What course does it to you?

I have only played Milo Mciver State Park in Estacada, OR only once but it definitely got the better half of me.

^I don't think Sunrise is that hard. It's the finding of errant discs that is difficult.

Gateway Park West in Fort Worth Texas. Essentially still new in age, just hard shots, insane rough and tight pin locations. Many people will agree with this course as being very difficult, but a good challenge none the less.

Hornet's nest , Charlotte NC "WEB" layout really bites me. The regular layout is tough, but fun, and I usually score "ok" there.....but the Web....it's insane! Still....I go back every year at Points Bonanza and try,try again to score better!

the darkside at the grange kills me. i don't think i've ever shot better than a 960 or so round on it in competition- usually waaaayyy worse than that.

Idlewild of course. We play there a few times a year at least. Nice thing about this area there are many other good courses just as close.

Ugh. Played one yesterday. Rogers Lakewood in Valparaiso, In. Third time there, and I've been chewed up and spit out each time. I absolutely love the course, don't get me wrong, but it is very discouraging for a noobish player whose home course is a tight-fairwayed, technical, pitch and putt style course. Rogers requires more arm than I have, better back-hand shots than I have, and over-all better shot selection than I possess. It's kinda nice to have nearby as a sort of "what you need to improve on" indicator. But it does beat me down fairly badly and leaves me feeling not so good about my game.

Nevin +12 on 18 Holes... and loathed every minute of it.
Milo +22 on 27 Holes... and loved every minute of it.
DSCJNKY

Hornet's nest , Charlotte NC "WEB" layout really bites me. The regular layout is tough, but fun, and I usually score "ok" there.....but the Web....it's insane! Still....I go back every year at Points Bonanza and try,try again to score better!

I was thinking that one too.....but it is supposed to since it is a Gold level course and I am not a Gold level player.

I have to vote for Reedy Creek Stout layout. It seems like I should be well under par (59 long baskets, 55 for shorts) every time out, but that rarely happens. If you are off your line at all, it is hard not to take a lot of 4's.

Gateway Park West in Fort Worth Texas. Essentially still new in age, just hard shots, insane rough and tight pin locations. Many people will agree with this course as being very difficult, but a good challenge none the less.

PLayed there yesterday and was happy just to make it back to my car with all of my discs. Hardest I have ever played....I did birdie hole 12! that was the highlight of my round.

Hit The Player's DCG @ Alum Creek earlier this week.
It is a VERY, VERY tight, wooded course.
Great course, but you could actually be throwing well, and still score poorly here.
The difference between an even round and a 6 over is literally inches.
This week I lost. It happens.
On the other hand, when you are truly hitting the tight lines, you are most likely the only one.

renny/ renny gold, played both layouts at least 20+ times, and have never broken par, also nevin park. love the course and the challenge, ive probably birdied every hole once, but its tough to get a run of birdies in a row, best out there is 2 over

I have to say Nevin. Hogleggbob will tell you how much that course makes me rethink why I even play this sport. I want to walk away from that course crying. I mean, I dont think I have ever even birdied one hole out there.

I have only played Renny Gold 1nce and wont be playing it any time in the near future. Every time I go to Renny, I puss out and play the original layout.

I have played the Web layout at the Nest and I seem to enjoy it more than Nevin. At least I have *somewhat* of a chance to make par at the Web..... not LIKELY!....but somewhat...

Last edited:
Cedar Hills the course I am talking about was designed by the local disc golfers, and its a bear. You start out with a blind hole thats only 160ft and seems easy, and you walk away with a 4, shaking your head. It only goes down hill from there. Major tech shots through the woods, then once you leave the woods, you have several baskets at the edge of a pond, then back through the woods, and then you have a 833ft shot across a field, then another 450ft shot to the edge of another pond, and then you have to shoot 280ft across that pond. Its a bear, and it wears you down mentally and physically.