• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Evil Tree: 2 TX: 0

txmxer

* Ace Member *
Played on Sunday at ZBo. #3 basket is under a big oak tree with low hanging branches. Had a great drive. Left me about 30' out, but right below the perimeter branches. I'm ducking down to set up for my putt and catch a pointy limb to top of my head. Nasty gash starts gushing blood. Fortunately, I had a clean rag on hand was able to immediately apply pressure to stop the bleeding. Bleeding stopped after a couple of minutes, we finished the round. I managed to get a win in our casual round, so that's a plus.

attachment.php

As luck would have it, I had my tree limb loppers in the truck.

attachment.php

So, after the round I set off to remove the offending limb lest someone else get a poke in the eye or head.

Evil Tree

attachment.php

That tree wasn't done with me. I got hold of the limb fairly close to the main limb, it was about 1.25". I got about half way through the limb and it decided that's all I was gonna get. Well, that wasn't good enough for me. I reset my grip and RIPPPP.

Ripped my right bicep tendon. Pretty sure it's a complete tear of the main upper tendon.

So, I see the doctor in a couple of hours. Strangely enough, this is not particularly painful. I still have movement and it just tweaks a little.

Attachments

• evil tree.jpg
    evil tree.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 190
  • Gash.jpg
    Gash.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 184
  • lopper.png
    lopper.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 179
Nature is funny. It protects itself, it is unpredictable and needs to be shown a healthy dose of care and respect. Hope the arm is not as bad as you think and wishes for a speedy recover.

Nature is funny. It protects itself, it is unpredictable and needs to be shown a healthy dose of care and respect. Hope the arm is not as bad as you think and wishes for a speedy recover.

thanks. Will know more in a few hours.

Double ouch!

It appears someone had previously cut the branch off about head height. :wall:

I think it had been broken—maybe during our hard freeze.

Let my bald headed gash be a lesson for others.

I figure I'm lucky it was just a gash. I could have taken it in the eye.

Do I need permission?

Firstly, speedy recovery.

+1 man points for finishing round.

*Typically speaking* one should seek permission, when not on their own property, to alter anything, especially a living creature such as a tree.

Well-meaning but over-zealous tree trimmers can leads to all sorts of issues (some of which you may not even be aware): your loppers could introduce disease if not properly cleaned, lines can be opened to the detriment of the course, you could have the course pulled if in a public park if caught damaging park properties, et al.

Ouch. Hope the self diagnosis was wrong and it's something with a shorter recovery time.

You gonna throw offhanded while you heal up?

Firstly, speedy recovery.

+1 man points for finishing round.

*Typically speaking* one should seek permission, when not on their own property, to alter anything, especially a living creature such as a tree.

Well-meaning but over-zealous tree trimmers can leads to all sorts of issues (some of which you may not even be aware): your loppers could introduce disease if not properly cleaned, lines can be opened to the detriment of the course, you could have the course pulled if in a public park if caught damaging park properties, et al.

Certainly I understand your concerns. I wouldn't/don't take this action lightly at all. I would not do anything that materially altered a hole of my own decision making since I'm not tied in with the volunteer group that maintains the course.

The park itself is maintained by the city--they generally empty the trash cans and mow the open areas. The course is take care of by local volunteers. They clean out brush, move baskets, put down a ton of shredded wood this year in various areas. They trim trees as needed. They've been pretty active this year.

Anyway, as is evidenced by my injury, that little branch was a nuisance and hazard. It was about 5' above the ground and somewhat concealed by the associated the leaves on the main branch. I would also note that it was dead at the pokey end and needed to be removed for the benefit of the tree.

I will keep in mind that I should clean the loppers between uses.

Ouch. Hope the self diagnosis was wrong and it's something with a shorter recovery time.

You gonna throw offhanded while you heal up?

I am going to try to throw left some. See how it goes.

I saw my doctor told him the story, stood up, pulled up my sleeve and he said--oh yeah, you tore your bicep. It sags a bit so kind forms a bit more of knot when the arm is hanging straight down than usual.

He said there are two tendons that hold the bicep to the shoulder. He thinks I tore the "good one". Meaning when this happens, you kind of have a choice to live with it or get it fixed. Apparently if you tear the other one or both, you are pretty much left with surgery as the only option.

Well, I have no intention of living with this. I plan to get it fixed ASAP and go through rehab so I can return to normal play. I have no idea with the rehabilitation will look like. I'm guessing it will be something on the order of months (6 months?) after surgery before I'm okay to start throwing. I base on that on recovery from ligament re-attachment surgery.

thanks for the well wishes. Sucks cause I was making some improvements and I've been dieting and feeling better on the course. Hopefully I can use play some with the left. Time will tell.

I am going to try to throw left some. See how it goes.

I saw my doctor told him the story, stood up, pulled up my sleeve and he said--oh yeah, you tore your bicep. It sags a bit so kind forms a bit more of knot when the arm is hanging straight down than usual.

He said there are two tendons that hold the bicep to the shoulder. He thinks I tore the "good one". Meaning when this happens, you kind of have a choice to live with it or get it fixed. Apparently if you tear the other one or both, you are pretty much left with surgery as the only option.

Well, I have no intention of living with this. I plan to get it fixed ASAP and go through rehab so I can return to normal play. I have no idea with the rehabilitation will look like. I'm guessing it will be something on the order of months (6 months?) after surgery before I'm okay to start throwing. I base on that on recovery from ligament re-attachment surgery.

thanks for the well wishes. Sucks cause I was making some improvements and I've been dieting and feeling better on the course. Hopefully I can use play some with the left. Time will tell.

That sucks. As an aging player, injuries are a very real fear. Hope you mend well and quickly. Keep us posted.

I shouldn't be giving medical advice over the internet but you could start the rehab process by doing some 12 oz curls. I'll throw some back out of sympathy for ya! All joking aside hopefully you can get it repaired soon and be ready to go by next spring.

Latest posts