• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

I just said "F it" and put our actual address in the course info. We have a goofy address that has caused me a lot of headaches every damn time I have an open day because people's phones give them crappy directions.

Previously I had the coordinates for the closest exit ramp on I-71 and would give folks directions when they contacted me.

I really, really don't want unannounced/unplanned for visitors so here's to hoping people understand how reservations work.

The address at Hawk Hollow is wonky with nav as well so i tend to direct people to use the church next door.

My (non-local) unannounced player count is probably 10 or fewer per year. Instructions on this site say to contact me more than one day in advance. HH spends so much time closed that people are wary I believe.

I just said "F it" and put our actual address in the course info. We have a goofy address that has caused me a lot of headaches every damn time I have an open day because people's phones give them crappy directions.

Previously I had the coordinates for the closest exit ramp on I-71 and would give folks directions when they contacted me.

I really, really don't want unannounced/unplanned for visitors so here's to hoping people understand how reservations work.

We pretty much solved it with a tactful "no trespassing" sign at the start of our driveway. It says something like:

SAULS
We welcome you, but ask that you please respect our homes and land. Entry, including to the disc golf course, is by advance reservation only.

We deliberately didn't put our phone number on it, so people don't just immediately call and defeat the purpose. Cell service is bad but a few people have backtracked up the road, looked us up, and called for permission.

It's pretty well cut out the unannounced visitors.

My ongoing task is to do something about Google, who put us on their maps, and whom I've been trying to get to amend our listing, before I result to telling them to remove it.

One thing you're fighting is all the strange places that courses get listed. You can put warnings on DGCR and the PDGA and UDisc. But some people use some very off-the-wall websites and apps, some of which scraped their info from who-knows-where, and are difficult or impossible to get to modify them. The longer you're around, the bigger the problem.

One thing you're fighting is all the strange places that courses get listed. You can put warnings on DGCR and the PDGA and UDisc. But some people use some very off-the-wall websites and apps, some of which scraped their info from who-knows-where, and are difficult or impossible to get to modify them. The longer you're around, the bigger the problem.

yep- I personally have never listed my course anywhere. I gave someone permission to list it on this site. It found its way to all the other spots on its own. I update this site when it is closed but do not bother with the rest.

My ongoing task is to do something about Google, who put us on their maps, and whom I've been trying to get to amend our listing, before I result to telling them to remove it.

I have been trying to get stuff about HH changed on Google for years with never a peep heard back.

We pretty much solved it with a tactful "no trespassing" sign at the start of our driveway. It says something like:

SAULS
We welcome you, but ask that you please respect our homes and land. Entry, including to the disc golf course, is by advance reservation only.

I might just have to do something similar to your sign. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to be a jerk about it and send someone packing. Or worse, come home to some random person(s) out on the course somewhere.

The address at Hawk Hollow is wonky with nav as well so i tend to direct people to use the church next door.

My (non-local) unannounced player count is probably 10 or fewer per year. Instructions on this site say to contact me more than one day in advance. HH spends so much time closed that people are wary I believe.

Honestly, 1 would be too many for my taste.

We did add a second address to our property since there's 2 homes on it. I don't think it's registered yet with Google and the like but I'm hoping that using that address in the future clears up the nav challenges.

I might just have to do something similar to your sign. I really don't want to be in a situation where I have to be a jerk about it and send someone packing. Or worse, come home to some random person(s) out on the course somewhere.

Sooner or later, you realize someone's been on your property without your knowing it. Or someone drives up at an inconvenient time. Or you think you're alone and you walk up on someone. Or your wife's home with the kids, and you don't want her to have to worry about the strangers on the property.

The tricky thing was wording the sign as tactfully as possible. If people drive this far and get turned around, I feel bad, but I really wish they'd check their online guides more carefully.

Most course owners I've met have been quite accommodating and simply want their guests to enjoy the experience.

But courtesy works both ways. Showing up to someone's residence without making prior arrangements is just plain rude. They obviously didn't consider your feelings. You shouldn't be all that concerned about theirs.

Anyone who shows up at a residential private course unannounced and gets turned away, basically earned it.

Most of the problem comes from people who don't realize they're showing up at a private course. They google "disc golf" or open their favorite map app, see a course, and head to it.

Most of the problem comes from people who don't realize they're showing up at a private course. They google "disc golf" or open their favorite map app, see a course, and head to it.

I still feel no sympathy for people who do that. With all the resources and information on the internet there's just no reason to not know that's a private course. Especially after driving up and seeing your sign.

I still feel no sympathy for people who do that. With all the resources and information on the internet there's just no reason to not know that's a private course. Especially after driving up and seeing your sign.

When they see the sign....they realize it.

But if you pull up Googlemaps for an area and search "disc golf", it'll show you Stoney Hill---with no mention of it being private. And they're not researching any further than that.

There are a lot of casual disc golfers out there....and many of them have never heard of this site, or the PDGA, or any better resource. They just play.

No such drama here, had one person ask and play here in the last 6 months. Fought hard to stay in the ground but no ones coming anymore.

Wish I could get that 3k back

If you'd just pack up that mountain, haul it halfway around the world, and plant it around here, you'd be famous.

No such drama here, had one person ask and play here in the last 6 months. Fought hard to stay in the ground but no ones coming anymore.

Wish I could get that 3k back
Sorry the course didn't work out. I just hope you're not too badly affected by the wildfires. Sounds like a freakin' nightmare.

Teepads are the name of the game now that most other stuff is somewhat tidy.

Hole 11 was by far the worst teepad out here, so it went first. It was lumpy, sloped a bit, and had a couple rocks embedded in the way. Now it's freshly leveled and mulched.

Attachments

• IMG_20200126_164037379_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200126_164037379_HDR.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 27
I am finally starting on my dream: a course in my backyard! My wife and I bought a house last fall on 10 acres. It's mostly wooded but there are actually some nice fairways already throughout. Now I've been having fun with designing! I attached pics of hole one. It's 200 feet and plays slightly uphill. There's a right and a left fairway. Basket sits up on big boulder.

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_124910998.jpg
    IMG_20200129_124910998.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20200129_125454980.jpg
    IMG_20200129_125454980.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20200129_125502117.jpg
    IMG_20200129_125502117.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 34
I am finally starting on my dream: a course in my backyard! My wife and I bought a house last fall on 10 acres. It's mostly wooded but there are actually some nice fairways already throughout. Now I've been having fun with designing! I attached pics of hole one. It's 200 feet and plays slightly uphill. There's a right and a left fairway. Basket sits up on big boulder.

Mind me asking what basket and brand that is?

Last edited:

Latest posts