• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Executing The Dream

ahh the real deal. was hoping you had something magical that was a little easier on other stuff around.
I was pretty selective in most areas, the hardest part was that there is a lot of stuff that looks like poison, but aint' and the poison likes to hide in that stuff. But then in some places I felt like...
predator_foto_documentary_jesse_ventura_gatling_minigun_AA_01_01a.jpg

Bested the mark at my course today with a more legit 50. I decided I'm offering up a new semi collectible disc for the first to beat that 50, if any of you DGCR ringers are ever in the area and wanna try to win something for nothing. Been thinking about it today and I'll likely keep increasing the prize for a new record each time it's beaten as an incentive to get my friends or others up to play.

In the early years at Stoney Hill, we offered a bounty for a course record. It worked like this:

Player would pay $1 per try, and if he set a record, he'd win all the money in the pot, or $50, whichever was more. For obvious reasons, it couldn't be a solo round.

The player could reset as often as he wanted so that, for example, if he blew up on Hole 6, he could pay another dollar, start fresh on Hole 7, and try to set the record from 7, back around to 6.

I don't remember, but not many. We were guaranteeing $50---if there was $5 in the pool, we'd chip in $45, etc.---and I don't remember paying out a lot.

We kept altering the course and starting over with records, so I don't recall when or why we quit with the bounty. It was probably with one of the major changes. That, or as the record gets pushed lower and lower, fewer players are willing to pay to shoot for it.

We should start it again, I think.

Just like your disc idea, it's a nice promotion to encourage people to come out and tackle the course, especially a new course.

I've kept an excel sheet of all the scores at my course. From that I have a list of each players personal best witch I plan on framing and hanging where I keep all my discs. I've also got the short list of the two aces on the course and would like to do something with that once a few more people ace.

We have a standing offer of some free plastic for anyone who can go negative their first trip here. Like rest of you we keep adjusting our layout and adding new holes, so the course record us a little fuzzy.

So far we haven't had any takers on the plastic, we had a "pro" (he plays tourneys a lot more than your regular folks, but isn't a major name) go negative, but he didn't want to take anything.

I've kept an excel sheet of all the scores at my course. From that I have a list of each players personal best witch I plan on framing and hanging where I keep all my discs. I've also got the short list of the two aces on the course and would like to do something with that once a few more people ace.

I wish we'd kept a list of aces from the beginning. There haven't been that many. As it is, all we have is rumors on faulty memories.

For those of you embarking on the dream and for whom the thought has not occurred.....take plenty of pictures. Not post-to-Facebook-and-forget pictures, but some "befores" to keep and match with "afters" later on. We took far too few before we started work, and wish we had them now. But we have taken course pictures periodically, and it's interesting to look at a fairway when we first thought it was "finished", compared to now.

For those of you embarking on the dream and for whom the thought has not occurred.....take plenty of pictures. Not post-to-Facebook-and-forget pictures, but some "befores" to keep and match with "afters" later on. We took far too few before we started work, and wish we had them now. But we have taken course pictures periodically, and it's interesting to look at a fairway when we first thought it was "finished", compared to now.

I've taken a bunch of "before" pics and I look back at them from time to time. Many were just solid walls of trees and/or brush. I could barely recognize where I took some of them, but our course is finally starting to take shape. Course designing and building is a very time-consuming process.

I'll add that taking pics in each of MI's 4 seasons has helped in the design of the course. I'd take even more pics if I had the time (and memory space) but I have a good hundred or so to get me by.

july 2013
picture.php

Nov 2013
picture.php

Dec 2013
picture.php

April 2014
picture.php

Picture of my property taken from the ridge across the street.
attachment.php

Rough idea of the property lines. 10 acres
attachment.php

sorry if the pics are huge.

Attachments

• Elk Hill 1.jpg
    Elk Hill 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Elk Hill 2.jpg
    Elk Hill 2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 192
I'd love to do something like that. Need to get my bro in law to bring his drone back out to the property.

Semi-related: we actually had someone drive past the "private property" and "no trespassing" signs at our entrance, back the 2200' drive which goes down and up some big hills, and through some areas that are tightly tree lined. For what? To try to sell us aerial photos of our property which is apparently a "thing" in rural areas.

Ballsy move, lucky for the old dude my wife didn't come out of the house holding the 12 gauge. (I wasn't home at the time.)

I'd have thought there wasn't much market left for the aerial photo business, between quadcopters and satellites.

I'd have thought there wasn't much market left for the aerial photo business, between quadcopters and satellites.

I never realized it was actually a thing people even did. My wife did say the guy had to be in his 70's at a minimum so he might not even know about quadcopters and satellites. Lol.

I just want to say that I love this thread. I live on a little wooded acre and a half and have a nice little putter course set up. Currently just nine holes but will probably move to 12 here soon.

I love to see these personal courses and hear about the devotion and work that goes into them. Personally I think these labor of loves are the most fun to play!

My family has an 80 acre farm (just a weekend place for the most part) in Ohio that is perfect for disc golf but I am not out there often enought to put in the time and effort that it would need. I had a 24 hole layout in place at one point in time that would have been pretty awesome. Creeks, ponds, elevation, old growth deciduous forest, huge pine groves and some rolling open fields.

Keep up the good work guys. Hopefully some day I will be able to come play some of these amazing courses.

It's been a really fun summer on the course. After the winter from hell we are getting it back fully. Mostly dry and paradise temperatures, no bugs this year for whatever reason. Over the weekend I hosted a bachelor party at the course and even made my first ever proceeds on it. I didn't ask for any but they tipped me a good amount so that was really cool. It was fun to see em play the course, and they seemed like they had a great time. They played skins for a decent amount a head so it made for some exciting shots.

188a00d933ca9d8755c74da8d038df59.jpg

Also yesterday had the first ace of the year on my course. My good buddy floyd got it last night. He's got about as many rounds up here as anyone but me and is itchin to break that 50 record. Last night when we suspended for darkness we had the tough last two holes left and if we both threed out I was in line for a 53 and him a 51.