• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanning your disc

ric039

My boys and I were watching JomezPro and are wondering why the players fan their discs, particularly on their tee shot? Personal routine, or does is change the disc somehow?

It's a way to dry your hand. Some players use chalk, resin, clay/dirt mixes, dirt from the ground, their pants...and some just fan their hand with the disc.

Why? It's just a preference, but it also doesn't leave residue on your hand, nor does it leave dirt/sweat marks on the pants.

kinda like in bowling

no clue what it really does but i fan it to look like i know what im doing

IMO, It's tough to get discs perfectly dry on humid days with towels. I find a quick fan helps.

It's how they excercise their off hand.

I'm going to start doing it because I see the pros doing it and that's as close as I'm going to get to being a pro.

So, I think most players just do it because they have seen the rest of us doing it. Sometimes I really do set up my line. Other times I am just fanning terd gas and I want to see how long it takes my card to start commenting on my gas attack.......Order the Taco Bell 12 party pack with loads of medium sauce on your way to the course and then get your buddies out for a round and reck'em.

I hadn't watched the pros play DG for a few years, then earlier this year I got into watching again. The first person I saw doing this was KJUSA, and I was asking myself, "what is this guy doing?" I quickly realized he was fanning his hand. I thought, and still do think, its kinda dumb. Just use a rosin bag, weirdo. Then it wasn't long after I saw several players doing it.

I hadn't watched the pros play DG for a few years, then earlier this year I got into watching again. The first person I saw doing this was KJUSA, and I was asking myself, "what is this guy doing?" I quickly realized he was fanning his hand. I thought, and still do think, its kinda dumb. Just use a rosin bag, weirdo. Then it wasn't long after I saw several players doing it.

Rosin can leave your hand sticky. Wiping your hands on your clothes can leave stains (I saw a tourney where a pro wore white pants and by the end of the round, the right back side was filthy from them wiping their hand dry/clean). A towel works, but then you have to do something with it after you've dried your hand....drop it on the ground? Now it's dirtier and you might forget it. Some blow on their hands/fingers, but that might not be as effective.

I think a pro (maybe KJUSA) started fanning their hand and others realized it would work just as well and wouldn't leave residue on their hands.

My climate is pretty dry, and I don't really sweat much.

A rosin bag would probably be overkill for me, but a few seconds fanning my disc while I contemplate where I want to shank my drive seems to work well.