• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Farewell Trak/Ascent?

Why do you think the Ascent/Trak are out-of-production?

• Total voters
Try one in the 150 class. It will fly like a long range Ibex.

I'm the one that recommended the heavier Trak, because of how they beat-in with usage. A lot of my friends and myself have found the Trak to be very consistent, but I think the fact that it's a newer disc will mean that it's more stable than I might have guessed... I still think that it'll be a great disc! Works well for forehands, backhands, and overhands... you might try some forehands to see if it'll fly better until it beats-in a little. (I always think that it's worth the wait to get a consistent disc, instead of instant gratification and then trying to back-track later to fill that particular slot.)

I actually like the fact that my heavy trak is overstable because my home course has many holes that it is perfect for. But I would also really like to get a light one as an stable to understable ibex type disc.

I really like the way the trak feels in the hand. I LOVE the way the ibex flys so If a lighter one flys like an ibex then it may be my perfect driver.

I'm the one that recommended the heavier Trak, because of how they beat-in with usage. A lot of my friends and myself have found the Trak to be very consistent, but I think the fact that it's a newer disc will mean that it's more stable than I might have guessed... I still think that it'll be a great disc! Works well for forehands, backhands, and overhands... you might try some forehands to see if it'll fly better until it beats-in a little. (I always think that it's worth the wait to get a consistent disc, instead of instant gratification and then trying to back-track later to fill that particular slot.)

I am not saying there is anything wrong with heavier Traks. I was just saying that if he wants something closer to an Ibex, he may find that a lighter weight version is a closer match. The fact that he is getting more distance out of the Ibex tells me that he likely isn't getting it up to speed.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with heavier Traks. I was just saying that if he wants something closer to an Ibex, he may find that a lighter weight version is a closer match. The fact that he is getting more distance out of the Ibex tells me that he likely isn't getting it up to speed.

Yeah, I'm a bag-builder at heart, and if he isn't getting the Trak up-to-speed he could piddle with the unLace, which will fly more stable at lower speeds... worth a shot! :)

I dont have very much strength but I'm not sure if it's the speed that's the issue here. I would give my 173 trak a 3 fade so that's why I get more distance with the ibex.

Umm... if he's not getting a Trak up to speed, there's no way he's getting an unLace up to speed.

the huge stability difference is the key. The unlace might act stable due to the speed but actually fly better given its more beginner friendly design over the trak. The unlace is probably one of the most understable discs ive ever thrown and it started to turn over when I would just look at the thing.

Unlaces are available at lighter weights, correct? It just seems like a disc MADE for players who want that "easy D" which appears to fit the need.

Umm... if he's not getting a Trak up to speed, there's no way he's getting an unLace up to speed.
Don't know if I agree with that. I play with several fairly new players for whom the Trak acts like a new Teebird and the unLace like a new Leopard. Up to speed for it's intended flight?...yeah, no way. Fly well for them?...debateable.

I like this website. You can adjust to see how the disc would perform at different power levels. (this is a lefty chart)

attachment.php

Attachments

• Ibex-Trak-unLace.png
    Ibex-Trak-unLace.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 87
I haven't broken in my trak yet but at the moment I agree with you on just using it as a mid. I can throw it on a a big anny to get a turn and fade to end pretty much straight ahead of me but I can't get as much distance with it as my ibex.

I'm pretty much just using it when I need to fade out of an anny faster than a powered down anny throw with the ibex will.

I view my Trak as a longer Ibex with a bit more fade. I can see using it on an anny to get a stronger fade at the end, as I'll use it powered down in a string wind where I'd worry about the Ibex.

Mine are in the 160s.

According to Vibram, the unLace needs to be thrown at 44 mph for its intended flight. The Trak, by contrast, requires 50 mph.

The difference in stability is the key factor here. I throw all Vibram (all-the-time), and the unLace was the longest disc I threw for about a year, including the Trak, Lace, and Ibex.

I use the inBounds flight guide to compare speeds, but it doesn't work so well for stability comparisons. For that, I've found it's best to field-test.

Joe's Universal flight chart claims that the Trak requires 5 for power. The unLace requires 4 for power. (Which is sort of where I'm basing my claim about the unLace being a pretty straight-flier for newer players, instead of the Trak.)

But I would say also that the Trak is going to be a more consistent and reliable disc in the long-run. If you had an unLace, then you might start learning bad form, such as too much anhyzer- or hyzer-angle.

A disc golfer of any age needs to be balance distance with control. Those who are successful do this more gracefully than those who are less successful.

Inbounds Universal Flight Chart: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431
Joe's Universal Flight Chart: http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431