• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Farewell Trak/Ascent?

Why do you think the Ascent/Trak are out-of-production?

• Total voters
There's a lot of confusion around the naming. Steve Dodge keeps referring to them at "granite," but there's already a well established naming convention for what people are calling "granite." He was also referring to his own personal Summit as the "Magic Summit." Hence more confusion.

I think the general term most people are using is "Microchunk" or just "Micro"

Here's a reference for you:
11233518_10206100851497623_1827827668438469310_n.jpg

There's a lot of confusion around the naming. Steve Dodge keeps referring to them at "granite," but there's already a well established naming convention for what people are calling "granite." He was also referring to his own personal Summit as the "Magic Summit." Hence more confusion.

Thank you for the clarification.

Does anyone know if they are going to be making them in medium and soft or only firm?

is there a full sized version of that photo? Cool! :thmbup:

I'm glad they qualified the Stripes.
The big one in the picture is on my wall, and I consider it the finest example of Vibram art ever made. You should see it up close.

6873035763_5d760d9e63_n.jpg

The biggest disc pictured in the Chunks is a Summit. I owned it for a short time, then traded it. Super nice colors. I still own the two VPs that match it.

6317060482_d4aac61f58_n.jpg

No mention of the 2009 woodgrain run though.

Grey Swirls are the two most expensive treasures in my stash, an Ibex and an Ascent. I find them incredibly beautiful. Field threw the Ibex once and it was amazing in the air as well.

Do you think that Vibram is going to gain more reputability with experienced players now that they are tailoring their discs more to the experienced player crowd with the Notch/Arch?

Many people still laugh at Vibram, because they don't take them seriously. Whether they're right or wrong for doing this, it happens a lot. Kind of sad... but I think what VDG is trying to do with these molds is gain more rep points with better players, even professional players. A top-level professional throwing Vibram would really help their repetition, because I have seen what McBeth has given Innova, Feldberg with trilogy, etc.

I like how this thread has been derailed in 2 separate directions.

I will not be missing the Ascent or Trak. There, back on the rails ;)

Yeah but he's with Prodigy now.

My whole theory is that experienced players are very set in their ways, i.e. their discs complement how they throw and vice versa. The slow releases of Vibram has frustrated these more experienced players to no end, such that many likely Vibram converts have been lost in the shuffle. These two new molds the Arch/Notch are intended to bring these experienced players back into the fold, with their quality and consistency...

I think a big reason why Vicich switched was because of how good he's getting, so much so that in order to take it to the new next level he needed more molds to throw... just a theory. He can speak for himself, if he chooses to. :)

Back to the thread, newer players such as myself have grown up with the Trak/Ascent, and so we've learned to tailor our games to those molds, but experienced players, by contrast, haven't jibed well with Vibram's fairways, which may/may not change, but my guess is that Mr. Dodge is aiming to change that with the release of the Arch/Notch. He also can speak for himself. :)

I'm sure Prodigy just made more sense financially. Money makes the world go round. Dana deserves some more money/help touring, especially with a baby on the way... If this is making him substantially (or even just a little) more money, no one deserves it more, fantastic guy.

Back on topic, I'll miss the Ascent due to nostalgia reasons, but if I want to go back to throwing a stable/slightly OS Vibram fairway, the Arch will be fine.

I'm sure Prodigy just made more sense financially. Money makes the world go round. Dana deserves some more money/help touring, especially with a baby on the way... If this is making him substantially (or even just a little) more money, no one deserves it more, fantastic guy.

Back on topic, I'll miss the Ascent due to nostalgia reasons, but if I want to go back to throwing a stable/slightly OS Vibram fairway, the Arch will be fine.

The Trak is the one that I'm going to miss! I can't imagine that the TL holds a candle to the Trak, but I've always heard the two being compared in casual conversation.

A newer player can't go wrong with the Trak for maximum distance/go-to driver. I've already mentioned this numerous times, but if I need to make a tough shot I'm going for the Trak on wooded courses especially. :clap:

I don't get the distance out of my Trak that I do my other fairway drivers, so I've been treating it more like a frisky mid. I'm open to a new model to replace it, certainly. I much prefer to throw Vibram rubber on tight, tree-lined holes because the rubber takes the tree hits with much more grace and resiliency than plastic.

Knowing that they could be going out of production, I picked up a new 157 gram Trak at PIAS and two Ascents for $14 each. The light weight Trak is point and shoot in the woods. I didn't think that a driver existed that could be so controllable at long distances.

The Arch is very Teebird like but I prefer Eagles. I don't throw super overstable discs that often, so the addition of the Arch and Notch at the expense of the Trak/Ascent doesn't get me too excited. I would be a lot more interested if they decided to come out with a couple of complementary Speed 10-11 discs.

Knowing that they could be going out of production, I picked up a new 157 gram Trak at PIAS and two Ascents for $14 each. The light weight Trak is point and shoot in the woods. I didn't think that a driver existed that could be so controllable at long distances.

The Arch is very Teebird like but I prefer Eagles. I don't throw super overstable discs that often, so the addition of the Arch and Notch at the expense of the Trak/Ascent doesn't get me too excited. I would be a lot more interested if they decided to come out with a couple of complementary Speed 10-11 discs.

Trak hasn't failed me yet...

I think they're working on those speed 10-11 discs. Arch/Notch are like a down-payment on those, I think...

I take some solace (no pun-intended) in the fact that there are always going to be some Ascents/Traks floating around, especially with the Recycling/Collector's groups nowadays...

I don't get the distance out of my Trak that I do my other fairway drivers, so I've been treating it more like a frisky mid. I'm open to a new model to replace it, certainly. I much prefer to throw Vibram rubber on tight, tree-lined holes because the rubber takes the tree hits with much more grace and resiliency than plastic.

I haven't broken in my trak yet but at the moment I agree with you on just using it as a mid. I can throw it on a a big anny to get a turn and fade to end pretty much straight ahead of me but I can't get as much distance with it as my ibex.

I'm pretty much just using it when I need to fade out of an anny faster than a powered down anny throw with the ibex will.