• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fast, Easy, Cheap Tee Pads - Any Ideas?

One course I saw used 6" round cement pavers, set flush into the ground for the front 2 corners, and painted them with numbers and distances (there were no signs). The decking board will better define footfaults, but will also eventually rot away.

If you use a composite deck board and put it flush in the ground, I'd bet it would last for many years.

One struggle was coloring boards. I guess with only red being kick boards, players should know they are the red tees, but I wanted to be bright red for added visibility as well.

I suppose a "red" deck stain thought not truly red would have been more durable.

One struggle was coloring boards. I guess with only red being kick boards, players should know they are the red tees, but I wanted to be bright red for added visibility as well.

I suppose a "red" deck stain thought not truly red would have been more durable.

Do players actually throw off the board? Or is it just foot traffic/incidental walking on the board that is wearing out the paint?

My local course started with 4" x 4" by 8 foot treated posts (cut in half) for the front of the natural tees. Buried flush to the ground they worked great and never got hit by the mower or pulled out.
I eventually switched over to pavers once I had the finances. I still have a few of the posts lying around, they are in perfect condition after being in the ground for several years.
I never painted them, but I'm sure the paint would have worn off from players planting their foot on the posts.

Do players actually throw off the board? Or is it just foot traffic/incidental walking on the board that is wearing out the paint?

Probably weather, foot traffic, maintenance equipment, ground contact, orientation, properties of treated wood/paint. These all come into play.

This stuff is interesting- have you seen it in person?

Planning on checking it out next time I'm at HD.

I've got about 7 acres and several baskets set up for practice. I've thought about setting up actual tee box.

Was looking at the "pirate planks" to see what costs might be with the recent inflation. A sheet of treated plywood is about $50 these days. The hardy board isn't too bad. Of course these sheets might be suitable stand-alone.

Do think they would need some type of sealant on the edges at a minimum.

Thinking about building a box slightly more than 4x8, putting in sand to level it then laying one of these sheets over it.

Check out this You tube clip and linked thread.

https://youtu.be/IrKvs-4E85U

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3231311

I've played on these, and had no complaint. They won't last for years with exposure to the elements, but they're quite simple, seem affordable, and do a decent job a players perspective.

Comments on that video are talking about sealing that wood and flipping it and resealing every few years to prevent rot. Sounds like a lot of ongoing work over the years.

I wonder how that cement board would fare but with a horse stall rubber mat (at least 3/4") that Tractor Supply sells instead of wood? Use an almost flush bolt on top so no tripping hazard and just a heavy wide washer on bottom. Probably about six bolts, on the corners and midway.

Last edited:
I wonder how that cement board would fare but with a horse stall rubber mat (at least 3/4") that Tractor Supply sells instead of wood? Use an almost flush bolt on top so no tripping hazard and just a heavy wide washer on bottom. Probably about six bolts, on the corners and midway.

Might need the plywood for rigidity- possible that the cement board would crack without it. Just spitballing because I have no experience with it.

This stuff is interesting- have you seen it in person?

Stopped at HD today. It is a very lightweight material, but much heavier than an equivalent foam insulation board. I don't expect it would be durable.

I'm still liking the harder board —pirate plank for this issue.

Latest posts