• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fewest Number of Discs to Win Tournament

There an ABQ local playing (and winning) Worlds right now, and typically he uses 2-3 discs, including an Aerobie Arrow that he is $$ with. Ron Byrd, Grand Legends

One of the guys in our disc golf club carries at the most 8 discs when he plays tournaments.

3 Champion Bosses
5 Rocs

So 2 molds. He puts with Rocs and he is darn good at it.

I could win an advanced tournament with a putter, Firebird, buzzz SS and TL. no probs. My personal records at local courses are better with that configuration than full bag, lol.

My highest score until recently was a 1014 rated round with a DX Firebird, Ti Drone, Star Cro and Evo Warlock.

I own none of those discs now, and the only mold of them I throw is the Firebird.

Sometimes when the archer is shooting well the arrows aren't as critical.

I've lost track of the number of one-disc tournaments (non-sanctioned, obviously) I've played in over the years that SOMEONE won. Even won a few myself. :hfive:

Kurt Bayne in the PacNW won several events, including a supertour with two rocs and a rattler. He carried them in a beer cooler from what I hear :)

Career earnings: $15,000
http://www.pdga.com/player/6106

There we go, roc #1 marking, roc #2 in the air - cooler in tow! Super cool dude, wish I got to see more of his game :)

Attachments

• BayneUpshot1210.jpg
    BayneUpshot1210.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 74
There an ABQ local playing (and winning) Worlds right now, and typically he uses 2-3 discs, including an Aerobie Arrow that he is $$ with. Ron Byrd, Grand Legends

That's my Dad....won this year by 31 strokes. Shot 850 and above all four rounds. Not bad for an 83 year old.

He is dead on with the Arrow from 200 feet in....hit an ace with it at the NM States in 2009.

Also throws a Surge for normal drives and a Teerex for windy days.

Started throwing an MVP driver that he got at a tournament lately and used it a lot this week.

Stopped putting with the Arrow recently....putts with something else now.

Proud of the old man....

This is awesome! Congrats to your dad for his new title :)

I guarantee that Paul could beat just about everyone on this site with just a putter he feels comfortable throwing off the tee....

Not just about everyone - EVERYONE.

because while we're posting on here about "world's scandal this, and foot fault that" Paul is out sticking ****ing putts and nailing drives we only dream about.

I don't win, with any number of discs.

But long ago, I lost in Advanced to a guy who only carried 3 discs in his hands. He won a bag, which was marvellously ironic.

Haha that's awesome!

Fewest discs I've had in the bag for a tourney win: 4. Three putters and a mid. It was on an old Steady Ed original course, so drivers were unnecessary. The mid was almost unnecessary, but there was one hole over 300 that I wanted to use it on.

I've also won a Trilogy Challenge with a score that would have been rated over 1000 in a PDGA event.

Bottom line is it's not how many discs you carry, it's how well you throw them. Pretty much any good player should be able to put up competitive scores with only one or two discs.

I played a round with a friend and we each used one putter and one mid. I had the Envy and Alias while he had two early prodigy models. We tied with like +1. It showed me how drivers are the least important disc in your bag. We could launch the mids 300' and even the putters could get some nice distance.

Latest posts