• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finders keepers, losers weepers?

Randy Sharp

Your cell phone rings and the person on the other end tells you he found a disc with your name and number on it. It's your favorite "go to" driver that hit the heavy brush two days ago. You couldn't be happier. "You can have it back for $5.00," he says.

Somewhere else, a local player regularly drags the lakes at your local courses. He makes it very clear to everyone. If you want your lost disc returned to you, he expects a $2.00 reward for his trouble. His motto is, "If you don't want to pay me, fine. I can return it back into the lake…waaay back into the lake."

These people usually don't mince their words and will let you know right away the disc now belongs to them. In other words, their motto is "Finders keepers, losers weepers."

So…whose disc is it?

Ethically, it is still your disc. You bought it. It's got your name and number on it. Your buddies can verify that you've been throwing that very disc for months. You knew the general area it is lost in. You searched till dark without success, and you were planning to look for it again next weekend.

Morally, it is still your disc. It should be returned with no strings attached. After all, who can blame you for not wading waste deep into water in the middle of a tournament or deciding to wait until the weather is more accommodating?

When possession is nine-tenths of the law

Legally, it is no longer your disc. Once you leave the general vicinity of the lost disc, or are no longer making a legitimate attempt to locate it, the law considers it abandoned by the owner.

Any legal scholar will assert the person who lost the disc had the opportunity to continue to "beat the bushes" after nightfall, or to "go fishing" for it in the lake. Walking away constituted your decision that the disc was no longer worth the effort. Therefore, you gave up any legal claim to it.

Although of unsavory ethical merit, a person who finds an abandoned disc has standing to claim ownership, and the loser has no right to it. In the eyes of the law, the new owner can require payment (a reward) in exchange for "your" disc or he may sell it to someone else.

A sporting chance

My daughter and I rake the local lakes regularly. We have pulled well over 100 wet plastics from a watery grave in the past year alone. It is our belief that returning discs to their rightful owners is the right thing to do. It is yours, and we want you to have it back.

If we cannot locate the owner, we sell them at local tournaments for half their retail price. However, if someone finds a long lost disc in our "For Sale" box with their name on it, we are more than happy for them to take it.

After all, in our eyes, it is their disc.

Randy Sharp, PDGA # 38266
Tupelo, MS

Randy. You are awesome. You are doing what's right and, better yet, teaching you daughter well. I congratulate you.

I don't mind spending $2 on a returned disc ( although I've never had that happen )..... I have had a park mower give me a disc with no contact info so that was cool.......

I would be more apt to offer someone money for my discs return if they did not demand it up front.

If they were a tool I would probably just buy a new one rather than give a tool money. If they were cool and said, hey man, I have spent 100 this year in crap to fish discs out of lakes then I would gladly donate to that effort.

If he called and said dude I found your disc and you owe me money for it I would probably just hang up.

And yeah...very cool of you for teaching your girl right...too many f'n wannabe lawyers out there.

I will usually give the guys who find my stuff a couple of bucks just because its nice to get plastic back. Now if its in the bag and its there for the reason of going in the water, thats different, I mean thats its pupose. But ya your doing a good job and I hope you keep it up

First off it is legally your disc.
Two things must occur for property to be abandoned: (1) an act by the owner that clearly shows that he or she has given up rights to the property; and (2) an intention that demonstrates that the owner has knowingly relinquished control over it.

The wraith I lost and looked for in the woods until the park was closing was not abandoned, I did not give up my right of ownership.

A friend had to pay someone that was salvaging disc in the lake at Barnett on Saturday. They charged him a dollar to get his disc for him.

Last edited:
There's no disc I own that I would resort to giving into extortion. I would send in Chuck Norris. Time to merge in the Chuck Norris thread!

I try to keep a couple of singles on me on water courses, so that on holes that may have folks searching for discs, I can kick a couple of bucks over to thank the person who pulls it out. It's worth a couple of bucks for me to not have to get wet in some nasty pit of water and spend 20 minutes searching for a disc I may or may not find. It may not be the best system, but it is common sense to know by now that a lot of kids are pulling out discs as a way to make a few bucks. And for any disc that I like, I'd be happy to pay a few dollars to recover it. I see it like paying for any other service I don't want to do or don't have time to do. We are willing to pay people to watch our pets, mow our yards, fix our plumbing... whatever. They provide a service that we could do, but don't have the time for...

If I can kick some kid $2 to get a disc for me, and it means I get to spend an extra 20 minutes playing the course, and don't have to get wet and risk stepping on broken glass or a fishhook or whatever, then that is $2 well spent. In a perfect world, we'd have kids on every water hole in the summer, ready to make $2 a disc and I'd never have to worry about losing my favorite disc on a water shot.

I say all that, but fundamentally, in a truly perfect world, everyone would be like Randy, and ready to return any disc they find with a number. That is ideal. When I find discs, I don't ask for money. But to me, I'd rather help someone out than make $2. The intangible reward of doing the right thing is much greater than the tangible $2 would be.

If someone finds a disc on some other course or some other state and calls me, I do think I should be obligated to at least offer to pay $5 or so to cover their trouble and the cost of shipping. Someone would go broke returning discs for free to distant destinations. That's just common courtesy on my part.

Let me first agree with the kudos to randy.

Now let me post this situation- I bought a lot of 14 discs for $50 from a guy on craigslist, and about 5 had numbers. When I called these people I asked them to give me $4 for the disc, cuz that was about what I paid for it. One guy actually gave me $10 cuz it was an almost brand new star SL, and another didnt' have the 4 bucks but he blows glass so he gave me a sweet little pipe.

Was I wrong for asking to get back the money I paid?

This issue has been addressed frequently around here, and some people have asked local law enforcement about the legality question. The response has always been that if it has someone's name and number on it, it is NOT "finders keepers." If you don't make a "reasonable attempt" to return the disc, you are simply a thief. But maybe Oregon law is different.

A lot of people will offer a reward for a returned disc, but demanding one makes you a creep -- and possibly, in the eyes of the law, an extortionist.

Let me first agree with the kudos to randy.

Now let me post this situation- I bought a lot of 14 discs for $50 from a guy on craigslist, and about 5 had numbers. When I called these people I asked them to give me $4 for the disc, cuz that was about what I paid for it. One guy actually gave me $10 cuz it was an almost brand new star SL, and another didnt' have the 4 bucks but he blows glass so he gave me a sweet little pipe.

Was I wrong for asking to get back the money I paid?
Turn the craigslist guy into the authorities. He's no better than all the people that offer lewd acts for sale.

=)

I don't think you were wrong for trying to get your money back. In one way you were swindled by buying stolen merchandise. At least you were honest enough to call...I would say you would still get a healthy dose of karma for that.

First off, Randy you are awesome and all disc golfers and parents should take a page out of your book. More people should teach there kids common courtesy and respect, for that matter a lot of parents don't even seem to take their kids outside and spend time with them anymore so as many other have said Kudos for that.

As for returning lost discs, I pretty much agree with what others have said. If you find a disc of mine and call me, I will give you a reward, but if you call me asking for money I would probably just pray that you weren't a disc golfer and hang up. That being said, if I am playing a course with water hazards and there is someone there retrieving discs and stated that they retrieve them and charge for it, you are paying for that service, if you don't want to pay, move on or dive in.

Now for kerplunk, thats a unique situation. You didn't just find them and are charging for them, you spent your money on those discs, and could have very well just kept them. I think that if you were polite and explained the situation then most people would not have been offended at all. As long as you only asked for the money you paid for them, then I don't see anything wrong with that, as I'm sure there are a lot of people who would have just kept the disc. I know that I would have gladly paid you for the return of one of my discs.

I like the set-up we have at my home course, Morley Field...I found two discs this morning on an early round...I just give them to the pro shop...one had a number (they'll call him) and the other had a drawn design on the bottom so it'll be easy for the person to tell the pro shop what disc he lost and verify it's theirs...

If I find a disc that has a number on it, I call it. When offered a reward, I turn it down.
We have a guy at the course who routinely fishes discs out of the stream, and he chages nothing and accepts nothing.
This is all good and right and I applaud Randy for doing the right thing.
Thanks more making DG a great game to play!!!

If someone is unethical enough to throw a 12 packs-worth (or one for that matter) empty beer cans into a perfectly good wooded area of a disc golf course, what makes one think that they will do the right thing and call/return a disc that they found on the course?

I am afraid that the % of dgers that would call a number on the back of the disc and ship it back to the rightful owner is very small. Maybe 10 to 20 percent if lucky.

My goal is to get to a place where 1) no disc in my bag is worth more than 10 bucks and 2) every disc is my bag is easily replaced by one off the shelf.

I had an old disc golf buddy who never wrote his info on his favorite discs, he simply wrote "this used to be my favorite driver, now it is yours" I thought he was nuts. Now I know how sane he really is.

Latest posts