• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Finding discs during tournaments

whatcha gonna do?

• Turn it in to TD ASAP

Votes: 13 7.8%
  • Turn it in to TD after current round

Votes: 113 68.1%
  • Turn it in after all rounds are complete

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • Keep it

Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Hide it under some leaves

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • other (see post)

Votes: 13 7.8%

• Total voters
One more vote for turning it in to the td after making sure it's not in play. Not sure why this is even really a question.

I found a KC Pro Aviar under a bush, near the basket, during a Tourney round, just after everyone had holed out.
First I asked if it belonged to anyone in the group. Then I put it in my bag and after the round waved it around near the scorecard table. Someone claimed it and end of story.

I found a KC Pro Aviar under a bush, near the basket, during a Tourney round, just after everyone had holed out.
First I asked if it belonged to anyone in the group. Then I put it in my bag and after the round waved it around near the scorecard table. Someone claimed it and end of story.

You should have stroked them for littering!!

Sorry about the Rec card comment.;)

I love the "hide it under some leaves" option !

Had to vote it :D

But seriously, I woult turn it in to the TD.

once i found a disc during a tournament and kept it because it was apparent it had been buried in the muck for a long period of time. everything i've ever found laying out in the open i always just went and turned into the TD

Depends on the situation and timing. If its between rounds and there is time, I turn it in to tourney HQ ASAP.

If its during the round, and I can make a clear determination that the disc wasn't an errant throw from another hole, I'll turn it in after the round, or sooner if I pass tourney HQ along the way. If I can't make a determination, I leave it where I found it.

Occasionally I find a disc with the name of somebody I know. If I happen to bump into them during the round, I'll just give it to them there so they can use it. Otherwise, wait until afterwards.

I know this may sound harsh, but if it is during a live PDGA round, you should leave it where you found it, if it is IB or stuck above the playing surface. If you find a disc in OB while you are looking for a disc there, especially in water, it would be less of a risk to take it. But, if the disc you found was just across the OB line, and was in an area that was easily accessible and the disc was easy to spot, I would be hesitant in picking it up, for it could be a live errant throw.

I was on both ends of this in my first tourney last month. I lost a disc during warmups and it had to be among leaves on the fairway but the signal to head back to start was sounded so I didnt get to search. It was never found or was found and was kept. (I miss my beat in MOLF.)

I also found a disc on the same hole duringbround one and turned it in to td between rounds.

If you've ever found one of your discs while digging through the lost&found at a tournament, you'll appreciate the value of turning in lost discs to the TD. I've even come across a disc that was lost at the same event the year before.

Turn it in! Just make sure it's not someone's shot that they're still looking for...

If you've ever found one of your discs while digging through the lost&found at a tournament, you'll appreciate the value of turning in lost discs to the TD. I've even come across a disc that was lost at the same event the year before.

Turn it in! Just make sure it's not someone's shot that they're still looking for...

Ditto that. Lost my FR Z Buzzz during warm-ups. Looked as long as I could until my tee time. After my round, checked the lost and found and there it was. Sure glad you can trust 99% of the discgolfers.

Ditto that. Lost my FR Z Buzzz during warm-ups. Looked as long as I could until my tee time. After my round, checked the lost and found and there it was. Sure glad you can trust 99% of the discgolfers.

Judging it by the poll I would say you can trust 90% give or take.

Tourney golfers are different than regular golfers. Tourney golfers don't need or want your disc. In fact, they'd rather not lug it around. For those of you who play tourneys, when was the last time you actually found something you wanted to throw. I barely find stuff I want to throw in the box of discs for tourney winners. I get more and more picky every year. It used to be I'd throw whatever. Then I got picky about the mold. Then the plastic. Then the weight. Now I'm even picky about the color. Pretty soon, it'll be about the color and the state of wear. The last thing I want is your damn disc.

So I might as well give it back, if I pick it up at all.

Tourney golfers are different than regular golfers. Tourney golfers don't need or want your disc. In fact, they'd rather not lug it around. For those of you who play tourneys, when was the last time you actually found something you wanted to throw. I barely find stuff I want to throw in the box of discs for tourney winners. I get more and more picky every year. It used to be I'd throw whatever. Then I got picky about the mold. Then the plastic. Then the weight. Now I'm even picky about the color. Pretty soon, it'll be about the color and the state of wear. The last thing I want is your damn disc.

So I might as well give it back, if I pick it up at all.

This. I will pick it up IF I think it's outta play, then turn it in after the round (if I've got room in my bag), or even better, give it up to a spotter.