• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First Diamond Trusted Reviewer!

I don't actually care about ratings too much, if at all for reviews. If you actually write something of substance explaining why you came to that rating, it's a thumbs up from me. I've been Swatso'd down before lol. Deservedly so too.

Ouch, who upset Swatso?

Is there anyway of seeing who downvoted which posts? It would be interesting to see what people value in a review or whether some of them are just homer "you not nice to my local, you get down vote" type thumbs downs.
Is Swstso even real? The odds of both up and down votes being even multiples of 1000 seems extremely low...

Is Swstso even real? The odds of both up and down votes being even multiples of 1000 seems extremely low...

I hope so, his reviews from early on on the site as an early US traveller to the UK were very helpful for me to see what a travelling player was looking for in a course.

Ouch, who upset Swatso?

Is there anyway of seeing who downvoted which posts? It would be interesting to see what people value in a review or whether some of them are just homer "you not nice to my local, you get down vote" type thumbs downs.

I believe this is a feature of being a premium member.

Yes, Premium membership gives you the ability to see who upvotes and downvotes your reviews.

I use it to thank people I haven't noticed before - or to engage in a more detailed conversation about the course if they, too, have reviewed it.

I've used it a few times to ask a downvoter why they didn't find it helpful (in fact, that happened this morning).

I have written (pmd) Swatso. I think twice. once before 1000/10000 and second time when he hit that number. He responded cordially, and noted he might just end voting on those milestone numbers. He probaly shares several traits among the group with a hundred plus reviews.

I thought that I was harsh on thumbs downs but I'm tame compared to swatso. I also don't have very demanding criteria for giving thumbs up. If you put some time/thought into the review, i'll give you a thumbs up even if I don't agree at all. Lately, I'm trying to just not give bad reviews any thumbs at all. Get that ratio closer to 1 :)

I have no "agenda" in thumbing reviews.

Does the review say something meaningful and useful, and provide info that supports the reviewers rating? Y/N?

It's that simple for me. If you can't say anything other than obvious, meaningless tripe, or I know 1st hand a review is misleading BS = :thmbdown:

It's not that they have to agree with me, or the consensus of others . Reasonably supported contrasting perspectives are among the most useful. It's about quality of the content.

Obviously, I can't read them all, but reviews for certain courses, courses I've played, and 4.5+ ratings tend to get my attention...so I can't claim my votes are doled out in a truly random manner. But they are awarded solely on content.

Last edited:
While we're all sharing our philosophy of thumbs...

I usually like giving thumbs if you say something about a course that can't be applied to 4,000 other courses, i.e. something that distinguishes the course. "Has concrete tees" and "Variety of shot shapes" isn't enough alone for me to give a thumb (I won't give a down for that tho), but a lot of pieces of information like that begin to give a picture of a unique track of land.

For that reason, I don't withhold thumbs just because I disagree with a rating, if the review is thorough. There's one exception for thorough reviews: if the review is for a course that I have played and I know something objective is simply untrue, I'll give it a thumbs down. (That actually happened this week, and I'll shortly be writing a review for it to correct some wrong and overstated facts.)

Maybe this will be better.

attachment.php

Sysiphus and Wellsbranch: give good thumb
Swatso: doesn't like to give good thumb

Last edited:
you caught ... "me"/us/it

Approximately thirteen years ago at a prestigious-but-unidentified U.S. university, three English graduate students (Silburn, Wamaya, Anderson) teamed up with three Computer Science graduate students (Turing, Sassenrath, Osher) to create the SWATSO project, an Artificial Intelligence System (AIS) designed to perform two tasks: 1) to write top quality disc golf course reviews, and 2) to determine accurately the quality of reviews written by humans.

Wildly successful, the AIS achieved diamond-level reviewer status within three years of its initial launch, and has ferreted-out many more Unhelpful reviews than any human, while also casting 1K helpful votes for the quality reviews/reviewers its complex algorithms have discovered.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of continuing funding, and the graduation of most of the original SWATSO team, who have all been hired by Cyberdyne to work upon its SKYNET project, SWATSO, for the foreseeable future, will be limited to writing the occasional review.

*swatso himself is a discer of modest skill, minimal writing ability, absolutely no fun at all, and who would never cast an unhelpful vote, upon even the most useless of reviews. This poor dude has no idea that his DGCR account was hacked over a decade ago, nor why he is aperiodically disparaged in forum threads or private messages
** for the humour-impaired: :)
*** for the conspiracy-impaired: ignore "**"

Approximately thirteen years ago at a prestigious-but-unidentified U.S. university, three English graduate students (Silburn, Wamaya, Anderson) teamed up with three Computer Science graduate students (Turing, Sassenrath, Osher) to create the SWATSO project, an Artificial Intelligence System (AIS) designed to perform two tasks: 1) to write top quality disc golf course reviews, and 2) to determine accurately the quality of reviews written by humans.

Wildly successful, the AIS achieved diamond-level reviewer status within three years of its initial launch, and has ferreted-out many more Unhelpful reviews than any human, while also casting 1K helpful votes for the quality reviews/reviewers its complex algorithms have discovered.

Unfortunately, due to the lack of continuing funding, and the graduation of most of the original SWATSO team, who have all been hired by Cyberdyne to work upon its SKYNET project, SWATSO, for the foreseeable future, will be limited to writing the occasional review.

*swatso himself is a discer of modest skill, minimal writing ability, absolutely no fun at all, and who would never cast an unhelpful vote, upon even the most useless of reviews. This poor dude has no idea that his DGCR account was hacked over a decade ago, nor why he is aperiodically disparaged in forum threads or private messages
** for the humour-impaired: :)
*** for the conspiracy-impaired: ignore "**"

Nah...I ran into someone else in the Lemon Lake parking lot. :| :|

android failure

Nah...I ran into someone else in the Lemon Lake parking lot. :| :|

That was June 10th, 2011, while we were attempting to transfer the AIS into an android. However, it could never learn a forehand, and couldn't even identify a simple object like a moon grape, so we abandoned that aspect of the project.

I recall that Swatso fella had an unusually OS pink Star Sidewinder (or something of that ilk). I remember it flying more like an Orc than an understable mold. Wonder if he's till got that disc...

Crazy that I'm next in line... it's been an incredible journey & experience.

It is with tremendous excitement that I announce today that, after 12 years, I reached Diamond. It's awesome that it coincides with my 200th course played.

Like many of you, disc golf has been my biggest hobby and passion for a while. Bagging and reviewing courses has been such a blast. I'm so incredibly grateful for this site and the memories that traveling and disc golf have brought me. So thrilled to finally be part of this club!