• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

First run.... or is it?

ChuckerD

maybe this is a stupid question and i should probably know this but can anyone tell me how you can tell if something is actually a first run instead of just a proto star stamp? I am questioning in reference to some Katanas. Thanks

Typically Innova discs are released with the proto star as their first runs. However the Katata was released for the Japan Open last year with a Samurai stamp. On the blade it says First Run. The 2nd run had a Lady Samurai on them.

The only Katana ever produced with the Star stamp was the first run PRO Katana.
First run Champions have the samurai stamp as stated above
First run Stars have the Worlds Lemon Lake stamp
And there were first run R-Pros that were only released during the Japan Open, which also have the samurai stamp

A lot also just say "First Run" on them. One of my Voodoo's and Dismania P1's have it on them.

1st run

good stuff... some of the star stamps say first run and some dont, maybe it is just the older runs that actually say first run around the star.

I got this protostar TL in a CTP challenge. Surely it isn't a First Run Champ TL.... makes little sence to me. It looks new(ish).

Every year, Innova does a short run of discs with proto star as a thank you to tournament directors. I've seen CH TL, CH SL and * WR with this stamp thus far.

FR

there has got to be a way to decifer between the two... something physically visible, or at the there should be.

The Star stamp indicates that it is the first production run of a new mold. The star stamp is typically only applied to discs made in the first plastic that becomes regular production. The only time I have seen this not hold true was recently with wedges, where lots of star stamped dx wedges were sent out and then star stamp star wedges came out in limited numbers a week or two later. The discs with the star stamp are what most people refer to when they say "first run," though they are not usually the first time the mold has been run. CFR discs are normally the first actual run of a disc, but they are not the first production run and do not get the proto star stamp.

And there were first run R-Pros that were only released during the Japan Open, which also have the samurai stamp

^^^this

Every year, Innova does a short run of discs with proto star as a thank you to tournament directors. I've seen CH TL, CH SL and * WR with this stamp thus far.

After a long thought, I think you may be incorrect. It has to be a real FR Ch TL. Came out a stockpile they have, for the TD... as you mentioned.

The Star stamp indicates that it is the first production run of a new mold. The star stamp is typically only applied to discs made in the first plastic that becomes regular production. The only time I have seen this not hold true was recently with wedges, where lots of star stamped dx wedges were sent out and then star stamp star wedges came out in limited numbers a week or two later.

There were Protostar DX Wedges ?

Actually first run Pro Katanas were the Japan Open stamp. I have a 170 Pro Japan Open Katana. There were also Champ and R-Pro although the R-Pros don't have the circular border that the other plastics do.

pro

yeah the ones i am questioning are pro plastic and they do have the 1st run star stamp on them. a lot of good stuff guys thanks.

The Star Wraiths are true first runs.

Here is one of those I picked up a while back. Dave D says they only ran 100 all black.

174ProtoWraith.jpg

After a long thought, I think you may be incorrect. It has to be a real FR Ch TL. Came out a stockpile they have, for the TD... as you mentioned.

Nope. Hes correct. There were no proto star champ tl's...which is why they run them for tds every year as well as sl's. Most people dnt know this so they assume theyre fr's just because of the star. the late run ce tl's that have the small innova stamp are older than those proto star tls

The protostar does not necessarily denote a "first run". The protostar DX Banshee was in production for years before the "picture stamp" design came out.