• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Flight Chart Update part 1

Sorry for the ignorance but what is the point of all of this? The rating are already on the innova discs I thought?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Innova's ratings are on their discs, but there are other manufacturers out there you know :) it's nice to be able to compare discs from different manufacturers, as well as get ratings that are not made to sell discs but to describe them neutrally. Joe's Flight Chart is just the best around.

Yep, the main point of the list is to put all the discs from different manufacturers on the same list using the same rating system for all discs. And not converting the results from the manufacturer's ratings either, but testing them independently.

this is the best disc rating system out there. The flight chart at Marshall street is also very helpful

Blake_T said:
Also, the next chart update will have the blizzard discs rated separately.

I don't have my sheet here so this is off memory:

Wraith 5.5/-1.5/3/4
Katana 5.5/-2/3/4
Destroyer 5.5/-1/3.5/5
Boss 5.5/-2/3/5 (it shocked me that this got so much flippier while the destroyer stayed the same but with a lower pwr)
Roadrunner 5/-2/+1/2
Ape 5/0/4/5

I don't remember what i wrote down for the teedevil. the krait, dd2, etc. got cut short due to rain.

hey man at first I didn't realize what this was, but man is it cool! But you said you tested the blizzard teedevil but weren't sure what you wrote down... could you hook a brotha up and let us know what you got for it? I have been really thinking about getting one... thanks!

I've thrown a couple of blizzard teedevils, and they've all been super flippy with quite a harsh fade if given the chance to show it.

pask - do you have a bag thread? Start one on there (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16) and tell us what you throw, how far you throw them (golf D and max D), what their flight is like, etc.

We could help you a lot with that information. Taking strokes off of your game isn't about distance, it's about control. Many times (if not all the time), that means slowing down, not speeding up. Blake's chart is a good tool for relative flight characteristics, but not a dead giveaway for what YOU should throw.

Fightingthetide said:
pask - do you have a bag thread? Start one on there (http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16) and tell us what you throw, how far you throw them (golf D and max D), what their flight is like, etc.

We could help you a lot with that information. Taking strokes off of your game isn't about distance, it's about control. Many times (if not all the time), that means slowing down, not speeding up. Blake's chart is a good tool for relative flight characteristics, but not a dead giveaway for what YOU should throw.

I'm on it!!!! Check it out!

Part 2. is here. we are still not done with all of the demo discs. rain has thwarted our previous efforts.

RNG / HSS / LSS / PWR

Cannon: 5.5 / -2 / +3 / 6
FD: 5 / -1 / +2.5 / 4
Giant: 5 / +0.5 / +4 / 6
Krait: 5.5 / -1 / +2.5 / 5
Mamba: 5.5 / -3 / +2.5 / 4
Saint: 5 / -1 / +2.5 / 4
TL+: 4.5 / -1 / +2 / 4 (no change from original)
Undertow: 4 / -2.5 / +2 / 4
Villain: 5 / 0 / +3.5 / 6 (we almost went +0.5 for HSS, but the difference between opto and gold was too great on the HSS to be conclusive)
Ruby: 2 / -3 / +1 / 1
Pearl: 3 / -3 / +2 / 1
Obex: 3 / 0 / +2.5 / 2

None of these (nor the previous set of ratings) are concrete yet. If you have any beef with them or think we got a freak run let us know now as once we finish the last batch they will be going to print.

Where's the DGR flight chart? I found several threads on it with a Google search, but didn't find the flight chart itself.

Apologies in advance if this is a brain fart and its location is obvious. It's early. :)

(Or are y'all just talking about Joe's Flight Chart)? I'm confused. :D

Blake_T (the owner of this site) created and maintains Joe's Flight Chart. He usually brings his updates here for discussion.

keltik said:
Blake_T (the owner of this site) created and maintains Joe's Flight Chart. He usually brings his updates here for discussion.

Thanks. Thought so, didn't want to assume though.

How long after he adds things until the PDF is updated? I'm still waiting for the Saint to be listed (though I'm sure I could find the listing here.) :D

The ones we had were, except the saints had a lot more variance across runs and across plastics.

The height needed to fly the lines were a bit diff and the saint was about 5% longer. Dan was absolutely killing the saints though... Im talking 580'+ on line drive golf lines. Inchalked that up to weirdness, sort of like when he was throwing tridents farther than bosses.

Blake_T said:
The height needed to fly the lines were a bit diff and the saint was about 5% longer. Dan was absolutely killing the saints though... Im talking 580'+ on line drive golf lines. Inchalked that up to weirdness, sort of like when he was throwing tridents farther than bosses.

I think Dan needs to get sponsored by Lat64°, or at least fill his bag with their discs. just sayin

jubuttib said:
The Saint and FD are almost identical? =/

They aren't that different actually. At least the S FD that i didn't like for more HSS and longer Leo type i expected from the hype machine. I knew that the Saint was harder fading than that so i wasn't as displeased with it but it ain't exactly a more HSS longer River because it fades a role more OS.

Blake_T said:
The ones we had were, except the saints had a lot more variance across runs and across plastics.

I haven't thrown either the Saint or FD, so would you consider them flippy? More of neutral drivers? Are there other discs that they are like?

Sunspot: hss they are both in the realm of a -1. The saint had more hss variance across the 4 than the fd, erring on the more stable side.

There are certain tendencies that can't be measured in 4 numbers. The fd is definitely a domey flying disc. The saint flies more like a flat disc (which is why i wouldn't compare it to a river either since they are domey).

The saint's nuances are closer to discs like a flash, starfire-x, z xpress etc. it cuts through the air and manages to stay up.

The fd has a lot more loft to it in the same vein as a tl, xl, jls, river, etc.

Keep in mind those are tendencies. The raw flight numbers that we measure were very similar. Dan was basically throwing the TL+ 460-480', fd 500-550', and saint 540-580'. I think the plus mold rim held the TL back due to micro slippage but both the fd and saint were longer, with the saint beiing consistently longer than the fd.

Btw, anyone is free to disagree with any of these ratings but if you want me to believe you have testicles, you have to state what you would rate them at too :p

There's tons of run variance out there and i specifically choose a variance in shapes and weight for testing. Sometimes this forces us to average things and/or guess what it was supposed to be like, but overall it often gives a fairly accurate rating for say... The average of 10 production runs.