• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Flippiest disc ever?

This man gets it.

Yea that's what I mean too.
I'm looking for flip at the most finesse of throws. But at the same time, that might not equal being a good roller.
Still, it's interesting to hear what people pick.

I would argue that no disc, being brand new, is "flippy". The caveaut being that the manufacturer should have some sort of guidelines stating what to expect when throwing the particular disc.

If a disc is rated at 5 speed, with a -3 turn, it will flip much faster than a 9 speed with the same -3 rating, for your average player. Purely based on speed.

Now, if the disc is rated a 0 HSS, and it turns at more of a -2, all things else being equal and the thrower has good form, then yes...that is a flippy disc. Likewise, the older and more beat up a disc gets, it becomes flippy.

But, to pile on here, the flippiest PUTTER (as that's the question is begging) I've ever thrown is an old San Marino beadless grid aviar, and had to be about a 3/10 condition.

Flippiest disc I've had was a blizzard beast. No matter how much hyzer you gave it or how slow you tried to power it down it just flipped up and turned over into a roller. Sometimes I could throw it hard and it would completely flip upside down almost like you had thrown it overhand. There was no use for it and I think I threw it into a pond because no one wanted it.

I found a blizzard boss yesterday 156g that may have been the flippiest disc I have every touched. Given a throw like a putter upshot it still turned and if I threw it hard at all it literally insta rolled with absolutely no control. Thing was ridiculous. I speak of it in past tense because I hucked it as high and hard as I could then turned my back and let it be free.

I found a Franklin RT Albatross at the local park one time in a creek, scooped it out and wanted to throw it cuz I have never heard of any Franklin disc golf discs. Instead I let my buddy use it as it was his second time ever playing. Keep in mind that he was noob hyzering everything at that point and couldn't flip any of his discs (his stingray included) and wasn't throwing farther than about 100-120ft. First throw he noob hyzer'd it and the damn thing actually completely flipped into a roller about 50 ft forward and about 100 ft to the right and went straight back into the creek. We turned our back to it and without any hesitation continued on to our game as if it never happened.

my beautiful blue dx polecat was out of the box fliptastic. you can throw it as soft as possible; it will turn easily on putts or flip to flat. i actually discovered that i love it.

probably not a good roller though, and most dx polecats are not flippy.

after reading this thread though, i may have to try getting an optimizer.

One more for the optimizer. Canadian disc sport legend Glen Whitlock has been known to throw chicken wing rollers with his optimizer. It is a sight to behold.

One more for the optimizer. Canadian disc sport legend Glen Whitlock has been known to throw chicken wing rollers with his optimizer. It is a sight to behold.

I'd toss a vote on for the optimizer, Glen is such a cheap bugger he was probably rockin an optimizer cuz he got it off Dan W for $5, and he just don't care what he throws, he's pretty awesome and totally low key.

I'd toss a vote on for the optimizer, Glen is such a cheap bugger he was probably rockin an optimizer cuz he got it off Dan W for $5, and he just don't care what he throws, he's pretty awesome and totally low key.

If you mention the optimizer around Dan, his eyes will twinkle and he will tell you the story of Glen and his chicken wing roller.

Have you even seen Glen's bag of lids, complete with supper puppies that are duct taped together and old freestyle discs? Cheap indeed; he is still playing with same discs (and shoes!) that he used in the 80's.

Watching him freestyle is a treat, especially if John Anthony is involved.

I've seen some in Z that were not understable at all.

I have one. Pretty straight, even under decent power. It has almost no dome with a higher PLH than other Z Avenger SS I've seen. Had an ESP awhile back that was extremely flippy though. Ah, the variance within molds...

I'm newer to the game, but I have access to TONS of discs. I've thrown over 70 molds. By far the flippiest disc I have had was a Dynamic Fuxion witness. Even with a big hyzer realease it still flips over and continues to turn.
I also have a Lucid witness, which flies like a 12x Leopard. Not flippy at all.
My Lucid witness, and Fuzion witness are two completely different discs.

Fuzion witness is flippier than a Mamba, Road Runner, Sidewinder, UnLace, Avenger SS and M5 just to name some others I have tried.

Last edited:

Latest posts