• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Floppy, Soft, Med, or Firm Putter

Chacteristics of your True Putter: Flex and Grip

• Very Soft and Floppy

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Soft and Grippy but not Floppy

Votes: 57 50.9%
  • Moderate, like a normal DX or Pro D disc

Votes: 15 13.4%
  • Firm but Grippy

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • Normal Plastic that isn't grippy

Votes: 4 3.6%

• Total voters

toothyfish

* Ace Member *
There was a 70 some post thread on this in the Technique Forum which would have made a nice poll.

What type of putter do you like for TRUE putting? Not what model, but in terms of firm, grippy, floppy, etc. Also, if you would, explain why.
  • Very Soft and Grippy - ex: R-Pro, Gummies, floppy
  • Soft and Grippy - ex: Wizard, etc. SSS, JK Pro Aviar
  • Moderate with good Grip - normal feeling disc, DX or so
  • Firm, but still Grippy - KC Pro, Med Wizard/Voodoo
  • Normal but not Grippy - Star, Champion, ESP, that has a shiny finish.
I've only used Innova and Gateway putters, so for other types, please describe where it would fit post.

Last edited:
Stiff base line plastic!!!!!!!

I use STIFF Magnets right now and am playing around with a Focus as well.

Soft and grippy but not floppy. At least thats where I think Soft X banger-GTs fall.

Floppy, gummy, soft, sticky. I have relatively recently switched from 3x hypersoft JK Aviar-x to "rubber vomit" Vibram VP. My nighttime putter is a proto R-Pro softest-of-the-soft XD. Fooled around with R-Pro Polecat, but it is too stiff for my liking.

I guess I should answer my own question. I have been messing with firm putters that are still grippy, more specifically a Med. Voodoo. I was using SSS but am getting cleaner releases from the firm stuff, which I hope will improve my odds of hitting the middle of the chains vs. a soft putter that will save me on the edges. Also, using a more lofted push putt now, so it's staying close for me on misses.

Gateway SS or SSS. I really like my new SSS Wizards, but they aren't real worn yet. I will have to see how they are after a little more beating. My SS Wizards are sweet.

Soft and grippy, not floppy. I put with the X Putt'r and really love how it feels in the hand. The plastic feels like SS from Gateway. I do wish sometimes that it was more like SSS, then I think it would be even better. a Putt'r in SSS would rule.

I love my SSS wizards, they are firm enough that they don't flop around, but nice and grippy in any weather or temperature.

I second the sss wizards. I have one that is pretty normal sss and one that is more between sss and ss. These two make a sweet combo for me.

floppy like grandma tits

dang man, thats wrong. :gross:

I really like Pro-D Bangers and Soft Bangers. I voted moderate because i lean towards the pro-d. Its grippy and consistent. some situations or just moods i'm in i want extra comfort in the hand so i grab the soft banger.

I like my SS and SSS as well, my little fingers need to dig into the flight plate a little bit. I've never understood putting with champ/z, star/esp plastic.

I prefer Gateways Soft ... firm in shape but the plastic itself has some give to it and is grippy.

grippy isnt something i tend to consider, ive always been fine with any feel to a putter

Firm but grippy for me. Really liking the SS Voodoos for me. Though my history is with DX Aviars for putting.

Latest posts