• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fluke's bag

I'm sure the dog and I will be there. C-tier on Sunday so there will be others around. It's gonna be breezy. I'll have to see how my tee pad shoveling handled the rain today.

Well I had something I need to do sneak up on me this afternoon also it's stupid windy so I'm not gonna make it today

So between say 2004 and 2015 I bagged only Omegas, Rocs, Teebirds and Firebirds. I added the Wraith in 2007ish. I was introduced to the Thunderbird around 2015 and fell in love. I rediscovered Leopards in 2016 and a serious relationship has blossomed.

While I used to carry 2 Teebirds (a beat and a newish) and 3 firebirds (a beat, a seasoned and a newish) I have only 1 Teebird and 1 Firebird ITB now. I really don't throw them. I carry 2 champ Leo/Leo3 now ( a seasoned and new) and 2 champ Thunderbirds (a seasoned and new).

I love Teebirds and Firebirds but I'm thinking of dropping them from the bag. Talk some sense into me, if you can.
I feel you here. When I first started playing I carried mids and a Pred and really no other fairways. I didn't find any use for them. As my game developed and I played different courses I bought a PD. Then a 2nd run FD (teebirdish) then an S line FD.

The course I learned to play on had tons of BH Predator shots and 2nd run FD shots. The courses I play now I never throw a Pred type disc BH or the 2nd run FD. It is all PDs and flippier FDs (Leo type). I have often thought of getting rid of the 2nd run FD, but there are courses out there where it gets tons of use. I would never drop the Pred type disc (Doombird is the current flavor of the month) as it sees tons of FH use no matter what.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The Teebird and Firebird are still in the bag.

I threw a TL3 the other day and it flew so nicely that I ordered a Star and Gstar version. Marshall Street was kind enough to suggest some X out novas. I bought two. Thanks guys:/

So the problem is: why do I do this to myself? My seasoned Omegas are my "nova" and I'm well stocked. The TL3 can slip right into the seasoned Teebird slot but then where do seasoned Teebirds go?

Any ideas?

I threw a TL3 the other day and it flew so nicely that I ordered a Star and Gstar version. Marshall Street was kind enough to suggest some X out novas. I bought two. Thanks guys:/

So the problem is: why do I do this to myself? My seasoned Omegas are my "nova" and I'm well stocked. The TL3 can slip right into the seasoned Teebird slot but then where do seasoned Teebirds go?

Any ideas?

Buying and trying new discs is part of the fun. Don't sweat it unless it cuts into your beer money or you lay awake at night wondering what to do with your seasoned Omegas and Teebirds.

Buying and trying new discs is part of the fun. Don't sweat it unless it cuts into your beer money or you lay awake at night wondering what to do with your seasoned Omegas and Teebirds.

Lmao! Not quite! I have several more Star TL3's currently in transit to my house. They're amazing. I may be doing a revamp of my fairway/control drivers if the TL3 continues to treat me well. I'll be putting it through the wringer over the next couple days.

The Nova is just fun to throw and the gaudy colors are amusing.

The TL3 did not disappoint today. It went where I threw it (which was pretty much wherever I wanted it) today. It is probably going in the bag. I haven't been more impressed with a disc this immediately since I tried the Thunderbird.

Considering I now own 7 TL3's (I dunno how that happened), I will have to do some reconfiguring and post an official bag update.

I'll also pick the Superfan random drawing prize. Sorry, it won't be any nice Teebirds.

Any ideas?

Glad to see the Teebird is still in the bag.

Glad to see the Teebird is still in the bag.

Time will tell. Tomorrow it's supposed to be ridiculously windy and cold. We shall see if the TL3's hold up in it. They were perfectly predictable in the moderate winds today.

The TL3 has blown me away with how controllable it is. It's only the second disc I've thrown once and immediately said, "I NEED one of these!" The Thunderbird was the first.

Time will tell. Tomorrow it's supposed to be ridiculously windy and cold. We shall see if the TL3's hold up in it. They were perfectly predictable in the moderate winds today.

The TL3 has blown me away with how controllable it is. It's only the second disc I've thrown once and immediately said, "I NEED one of these!" The Thunderbird was the first.

Right on. I throw TBs but many people I play alongside throw TB3/TL3 IME TL/TL3 don't do super well into a big headwind but are okay in a tail. That's not to say you couldn't control angles better than me(ahem....), So let me know as the TB is one of my favorites and an absolutely necessary mold, core mold in fact in my bag. I always like to hear from TB throwers who seem to find there way into "greener pastures" with TB like molds. I have only thrown a TL3 once and found it was a touch faster and a bit less glidey (just a very slight smidge than the TL I was bagging at the time) I found it was easier to shape lines with (maybe because of the flatness of the mold?) than the TL I was bagging at the time. The TL wasn't the compliment to the TB I was looking for, more of a replacement to the TB. Anyway keep us informed, mini rant over.

There is a history of discs that gets forgotten as time passes. Teebirds have transitioned a LOT!

Aviars/Omegas too have changed considerably in the last 20 years (yes, I understand that most posters think 20 years is a long time). I was discussing Aviar anomalies over the years with a (quite) younger cardmate on hole 16 today and I was perplexed by his history of the Aviar. It did not match my perception of the events as I lived through it.

I think it's Noill who has the largest repository of Aviar knowledge on this board so I'll defer.

Everyone tells me I'm old school. I don't believe them.

Last edited:
TL3's are officially in the bag.

I played my home course today (yesterday) to put the TL3's through their paces. They didn't disappoint.

I also pulled a brand new, max weight, champ Glow Teebird from the 2008 SC doubles state championship to throw for research purposes. I am now convinced that newer runs of Teebirds, 12x and later, much more overstable and lack the glide of earlier versions. I'm beginning to understand why I've fallen out of favor with Teebirds.

The Star TL3 is what the older Teebirds were in flight. Compared head to head today, the Star TL3 and champ Glow TB were equal in flight but not feel though neither felt uncomfortable.

The Gstar TL3 continues to make me want to throw it for everything. It's phenomenal.

I successfully defended the #4 tag at Rockland red course today. I shot 53. They shot 56, 57 and 62. I won't identify them for the sake of their pride.

The dog and I then went to Sherando for a cool down. I shot a 55 for 20 holes out there. I was a little disappointed.

Rather than what I bagged, here's the discs I threw today:

Putters:
171 Sirius Omega, nice and overstable
175 Sirius Omega, nicely beaten straight
175 Omega AP 1.15 (x2), putting putters

Mortar:
175 Recon 1.4

Midrange:
175 Champ Roc3, new

Fairways:
171 Champ Leo3, well used
175 G* TL3, new
175 Star TL3, new
171 Champ Thunderbird, well used
168 Champ Thunderbird, nearly new
171 Star Roadrunner, well used

This is obviously the "core" bag.
Distance:
175 PFN Star Wraith, well used.

****Superfan Random Drawing Prize Announcement****

^curse my poor formatting. The Wraith isn't outside the "core" bag.

Also the Superfan random drawing prize will be a slightly used 12x KC Aviar that has been hiding in a hollow stump at the Land of Rock for the last 2 years. I checked on it yesterday. Get your entries in by midnight est.

Good luck Superfans!

!!!Superfan drawing winner announcement!!!

Maybelle, my secretary, deliberated for a while before she made her decision in the "random name from the disc" game.

Congratulations:
jmdaire27!

Reply or contact me within 24 hours to claim your prize.

Here is a photo of the selection process:

Attachments

• A8EEDF57-F674-4E7F-85B2-77D52FBC484C.jpg
    A8EEDF57-F674-4E7F-85B2-77D52FBC484C.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 18
The Superfan random drawing prize was left unclaimed. I'm sorry jmdaire27. The slightly used 12x KC Aviar will continue to reside in it's stump. Perhaps one day I'll lose all my putters and need a backup. I'll know where to find one.

I played the blue course at Rockland today. Here's what I threw:

Putters:

Mortar:
175 Recon 1.4

Midrange:
175 Champ Roc3, new
180 DX Roc, new

Fairways:
175 Champ Leo, nearly new
175 G* TL3, new
171 G* Sidewinder, slightly used

Maybe Wraiths aren't in the core bag. It was, however, windier than usual and the "open" holes definitely favor a righty backhand.

I did, again, throw only 13 of the 22 I carry. 3 sat out of the action today and 3 others came in.

Can you spot the differences? The next Superfan Random Drawing is open for entries.

PS: konzakid, you're entered.

Last edited:
I had a post all typed up yesterday and forgot to submit it. Oh well. That meant I had to play today too.

Here's what I threw for 18 from the reds at Rockland:

Putters:

Mortar:
175 Recon 1.4

Midrange:
175 Champ Roc3, new

Fairways:
171 Champ Leo3, well used
175 Champ Leo, nearly new
175 G* TL3, new
175 Star TL3, new

I played a somewhat disappointing 54. Hey Superfans, tell me to practice putting.