• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Focus!

jongoff09

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I came up to my drive during my round today and saw this...

picture.php

Every time I thought I was ready to putt, the movement from the cars and trucks going down I-40 made me lose my focus. I tried focusing on a single chain link, but still saw the movement through my peripheral vision. I totally lost focus, and missed the putt low and hit the basket :wall:. I don't know why this started happening, but I have noticed this the last few times I have been on this side of the basket.

Any other technique or strategy for focusing when putting? Anyone else have someplace where it is just naturally tough to focus?

I don't know what to tell you as focusing on the putt comes easily and naturally for me. Just don't think about anything else. If you have trouble controlling your mind to that degree practice breathing exercises and meditation until you can choose at will which of your surroundings you will acknowledge and which you will not.

I went through a period playing darts where just before I started my throw I would let something distract me and I'd stop my motion. Generally there are endless distractions in a busy pub. In the end, my stopping was the worst distraction. Don't rule out the possibility you're just a little bored with the same old routine and less focused to begin with. Barring a break to recharge, get quicker on your release. Trust your muscle memory a little more to make shots your mind is fouling you up on. In turn, your focus speed should snap back.

Something also that helps me when I get lost in layers of self-coaching is remembering what I found fun about the activity to start with - the challenge of figuring out how to get a disc in a basket in the least amount of shots. Focusing on that rather than technique and other minutia can make it fun all over again.

K.

When I'm putting I've done a couple of things as far as focused is concerned.

The Watermelon Trick - I've heard this roundaboutly in several kind of marksmanship (archery, guns, and axe/knife throwing) and since putting the disc in the basket is just another kind of marksmanship I figured I'd try it and it does well. The idea is that if your going to aim for a single link let that grow larger and larger until it is as big as a watermelon. Its harder to miss and makes it harder to pay attention to distractions because you have to focus on it growing. If you aim for the pole just let the pole get huge.

Factoring - I tend to do this because its how my brain works. I mentally lay a grid over the ground with a vertical, horizontal, and traversal plane and tick marks along it as a unit of measure. I then factor wind, guess temp, time, and estimate speed of moving objects like cars in the background, animals, or water. I try to make everything seem as scientific as possible (imagine those sport science shows that explain how a sport works) all the while I'm letting a little target mentally glide through the basket to find the spot I want to hit with a line and angle (think online pool or golf games that give you the little dot path to show how the balls with bounce/move). This process has been pretty nice for me so far and has reduced me hitting the bottom of the basket. It has also made me putt faster for some reason... but basically I'm taking into account the things that will bug me so they can't distract me.

There's a hole at Turkey Lake that is kinda like that for distractions. The interstate is a hundred or so feet away and the noise you just have to tune out as background noise. You send your approach to the wrong side of the basket and you are in this situation.

I just focused on the pole and did a one... two... three! type of throw. Sunk it from twenty-five feet no problem.

From there, I would just close my eyes (metaphorically) and then throw it in without thinking. The more you out think yourself and the less automatic it feels = the less confidence you have and you're more likely to miss.
That looks like a 8 - 10 ft shot. How many of those do you miss without the highway in the background?

its kinda weird but singing seems to help me...if i just step up and start singing whatever pops in my head it seems like muscle memory just takes over from there..

I learned to play at Morley Field where there are always huge crowds, and lots of holes are pretty near one another. There was always someone in your field of view, often moving around, I just got used to that and now very few things distract me when I'm putting. Play casual rounds with people, and encourage them to walk around and talk while you putt, once you get used to tuning that out it'll help you in the long run.

Throw your drive or upshot futher so your back is to the highway for your putt. I never thought of it for this instance but an old dg'er told be he purposely will shoot long to have the wind and his back with his putting, should work for this to.

Don't let it get in your mind that you'll be distracted and miss, becuase your all ready on your way to a missed putt before you step up to your lie. Be confident.

I have a buddy fire off a Saturday Night Special over my head when I putt. People in my peripheral become the least of my worries.

I hope this helps.

Ill try to keep this short, Iv had a lot of students who couldn't focus on the task at hand. Just as the body must be trained so as the mind. On a piece of paper draw either a square,triange or a circle. Control your breathing,slow in and out to relax the body and steady the mind. Look at the shape,and close your eyes and picture the shape.
Now heres the trick, as you focuse on the shape do not let it change size, and keep all sides equal. Your mind will get boared and try change these. Dont over do this either, short peroids of time at first. Just like working out the the body, you dont try to Hulk it out the first day. Relax and breath.

Use the with the force!

(Star Wars, not Discraft)

I have 5 kids, so I have learned to just not pay attention to what is going on around me.

Maybe go out to practice with some friends, and while each of you are putting, have them jumping around making a lot of noise and moving a lot so that you get used to that...then the other peripherals won't bother you as much.

Also, don't take it so seriously - unless you are in a tournament, or playing for skins or money or something, consider everything as practice and fun. I keep accurate score, but I consider everything just out there having fun and practicing for when I am playing for real.

JUST HAVE FUN!

From that distance you can almost drop it in. Line it up, relax, close your eyes and make the damn putt!

I was frustrated when I posted the first time (plus I wanted an excuse to post the cool pic ;)). I could have been under par for the round, but ended up right at par. I have been trying to go under on that course for a long time, and always screw up somewhere along the way and end up at par or worse. This was just one point in the round where I screwed up and I shouldn't have. I don't normally have problems focusing, but something about the last two times I have been in this spot I have missed the easy putt.

From that distance you can almost drop it in. Line it up, relax, close your eyes and make the damn putt!

I took the picture from my lie, the disc on the ground was mine after I took the putt and came up short and hit the basket. I know it is hard to judge distances on a picture, but it was around a 15-18 foot putt. It was the only unobstructed putt within 25' I missed that day. Again I was frustrated, I have only myself to blame for it.