• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] For the love of the Bird! ..Teebird that is!

Ken Climo's name was never on the Star Teebird to my knowledge. When most people say "11x Teebird" they are talking about either champ or KC Pro Teebirds that have the KC 11x stamp. I guess that era of KC Pro plastic was the predecessor to modern Star, but when they started calling it star, I don't think they ever stamped it with an 11x stamp (please correct me if I'm wrong of course). I think august is talking about PFN Star Teebirds from the end of the 11x era (generally marked S-TB with patent numbers).

I should have clarified that I was talking about 11x ERA Star Teebirds. They were not stamped with a Ken Climo stamp just a plain Teebird stamp. They have patent numbers, CA tooling and are marked S-TB as others have noted.

My first "real good driver" was one of these S-TB birds in orange at 165g that I bought from Mandos in Auburn, WA back in 2006. 12x Teebirds were out by then (I think?) but the gal in the store told me to buy this one and that I would probably "like it". That was an understatement. I have "liked it" for many years now and it's still plently stable but will drift ever so slightly for that beautiful shot shape. I will always be fond of these 11x era star teebirds. There is nothing particularly special about them I suppose, but for me and my noodle they are in the absolute perfect sweet spot and they stay there for years and years and years. I do not describe them as over stable. I describe them as perfectly stable.

Imagine my delight when I walked into Hastings in Mt. Pleasant, TX last year and found matching twin, blue, patent #, S-TB Teebirds (162g) with a three color modern flight # stamp.... :hfive: There is some old stock out there like in the link that OlyWA Kenobi posted that shows up in random places sometimes. I bought both of those babies for $17 ea. with no hesitation. Keeping one in a plastic bag for someday when I am truly an old man or my son starts throwing hard enough to need one, whichever comes first.

As for markings on the bottom, *TB vs S/TB may not matter with the new, non-patent # www era stock plastic. It seems that most people seem to say it doesn't so I'm cool with that. If nothing else, if I see an S/TB marked Teebird I'll probably just buy it on principal alone just so I can post about it on DGCR and get some talk about the teebird going.

These new run AJ signature Star Teebirds seem pretty legit anyways. :thmbup:

So years ago I emailed Mark asking if he had any old star teebird stock and he mentioned that he had some blanks that he'd stamp up and sell me. At the time the cfr stamp they were selling on the site was for the Asia open, so he put that stamp on them and I bought like 10 or so. Not too long after he stamped them with the current stock stamp and sold them as they are now listed. I tried getting him to stamp up thee blanks with something crazy with no luck.

They're listed as first run star teebirds, but I'd bet a dollar they were actually "special blend", star before it was formally named star plastic.

So years ago I emailed Mark asking if he had any old star teebird stock and he mentioned that he had some blanks that he'd stamp up and sell me. At the time the cfr stamp they were selling on the site was for the Asia open, so he put that stamp on them and I bought like 10 or so. Not too long after he stamped them with the current stock stamp and sold them as they are now listed. I tried getting him to stamp up thee blanks with something crazy with no luck.

They're listed as first run star teebirds, but I'd bet a dollar they were actually "special blend", star before it was formally named star plastic.

Quoted for truth. :hfive:

And because I love my Teebirds!!!

Old 11x era S-TB on the left; Pat #, S-TB w/ new flight number stamp in the middle; New AJ sig. (S/TB) on the right.

TBIRDS.jpg

S-TB that looks like S-TP

20150327_064955.jpg

Last edited:
Are these ones made out of that super stiff rock hard star plastic or are they flimsy and malleable like modern star?

I wouldn't exactly call them flimsy. They are malleable and tacky. For me what sets them apart from the modern Star is the tack of the plastic. Some of the modern star plastic kind of has that waxy gloss on it. The older stuff is more matte than gloss.

Matching pair of PFN, Pat. # *T at 150g also found at Hastings in Mt. Pleasant last year.

20150219_210330.jpg

I've got the cousin of this pair at home: white, 150-class that looks just like those 2. It honestly flies a lot like a TL for me. In calm weather I can throw it in place of my TL's (also old PFN Star) and get mostly the same lines. I've also got an older 164 yellow S-TB with patent numbers that flies very nicely. Has some turn and fade back for a nice, straight finish. Older Teebirds are nice, although I pretty much like most Star Teebirds I've thrown. I bag a 2013 AJ Star, the yellow 164 patent numbers, and a patent numbers Star TL (and on and off a 2013 Brinster although a Sexton Firebird has been taking its duties lately).

Not quite. I have a special blend Teebird. It is a CFR stamp and penned SBT.

Was this '10-'11? Was it the '11 (I think) Asia Open stamp, the Chain Dragon a circular stamp with a Dragon made of chains chasing its tale? I ask because I have a stack of 11x era Cal-tooled Glow Champ TeeBirds, with the Asia Open stamp, that I got from Mark last year. I had badgered him for years about Glow Cal-tooled TeeBirds. I've only ever seen my TBs, a Cal-tooled TL I have, and some FAF Glow Firebirds with that stamp.

My 11x era stars are flatter, but I handled six new avery star tb's today and with three of them the plastic stiffness and surface feel was almost identical. Stiff, some surface grip, and not overly glossy.

My 11x era stars are flatter, but I handled six new avery star tb's today and with three of them the plastic stiffness and surface feel was almost identical. Stiff, some surface grip, and not overly glossy.

Check the back for patent numbers. A few of the new AJ Stars are old stock, stamped with the AJ stamping format. I have one at home. It isn't OLD Star, though...it's the PFN stuff with some dome to it.

My favorite Star TeeBirds are the chalky grippy Star w/ patent numbers, marked *T. The plastic reminds me of those 1st Run TeeRexs.
86949dc04bb9e0e907dbe11cf68a7928.jpg

Tooling/Marking
43dac2c78df76098684faddca6525c24.jpg

The White *T is in the bag for ultra long hyzer flip lasers, or long turnover shots. Still some fade left.
95ca1b847711e1f6ef50e1857dd44816.jpg

My Glow-Tos. 11x Era Cal-tooled Glow Champ TeeBirds. Stamped with the Big D in the Desert stamp
4c4a93d7d70bdbadd74efe1af0fdf013.jpg

Cal-tooled
50e2a34043daa95f74f2162657770e69.jpg

Backups, Glow Cal-tooled TeeBirds. At this rate, I may never have to throw them. The two I have are still plenty beefy.
9f3d37c88767b24ef63a4edbd26f82af.jpg

Was this '10-'11? Was it the '11 (I think) Asia Open stamp, the Chain Dragon a circular stamp with a Dragon made of chains chasing its tale? I ask because I have a stack of 11x era Cal-tooled Glow Champ TeeBirds, with the Asia Open stamp, that I got from Mark last year. I had badgered him for years about Glow Cal-tooled TeeBirds. I've only ever seen my TBs, a Cal-tooled TL I have, and some FAF Glow Firebirds with that stamp.

They didn't have that stamp, they had the snake coiled up around a flower.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81743

Last edited:

I have a silver Wraith with that stamp. It's not mint though. Trying to find a new one for the collection but silver Wraiths are HARD to find!

Check the back for patent numbers. A few of the new AJ Stars are old stock, stamped with the AJ stamping format. I have one at home. It isn't OLD Star, though...it's the PFN stuff with some dome to it.

These had no patent numbers.

Latest posts