• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Forehand approaches and discs.

i would pay to see sidewinding or anybody throw a blowfly 600'. smoking crack, Avery Jenkins only threw a dx archangel 696' a personal best in the distance championship. i throw a 161 Star Orc 410' air distance and only 390' consistently. i know that good form will show that smooth is far but not with a steady Ed blowfly. but i do agree if something works BH it will work FH with more time.

no offense to sidewinding

And I was confused by your statement about the Wasp-did you mean that it was much more overstable than the Buzzz or just a tiny bit more?

sorry about the confusion - i thought the Wasp is only a tiny bit more stable than the Buzzz. The other discs i mentioned are considerably more overstable than both the Wasp and Buzzz

i would pay to see sidewinding or anybody throw a blowfly 600'. smoking crack, Avery Jenkins only threw a dx archangel 696' a personal best in the distance championship. i throw a 161 Star Orc 410' air distance and only 390' consistently. i know that good form will show that smooth is far but not with a steady Ed blowfly. but i do agree if something works BH it will work FH with more time.

no offense to sidewinding

I was being facetious

facetious
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

...and are you sure Avery Jenkins smokes crack? No wonder he's so skinny.

Once again...being facetious.

hahahahhahaha didnt realize the seriousness of the anti blowfly comment hahahahaha
i use a dx birdie on anything under 500 - i gotta check out the blowfly and get me some xtra D.

smoking crack, Avery Jenkins only threw a dx archangel 696' a personal best in the distance championship. i throw a 161 Star Orc 410' air distance and only 390' consistently. we better hurry up and start smoking before he gets on meth then there is know way will ever catch up :D:D:eek:

I'd like to have suggestions for mids that are good for forehands. I don't like DX discs for forehands. They don't come out of my hand smoothly. I haven't tried Pro, but that's because it's the same grippy plastic, and it wouldn't work that well either. I like star plastic, but love discraft's ESP and would probably love FLX also. and anything similar. I need something more stable than a slightly beat in roc and a brand spanking new buzzz. i was thinking a wasp would be good (in ESP), but i've never thrown one. so for someone who has thrown a buzzz as a forehand mid and a wasp as the same, do they work well for that? or for someone who has thrown a buzzz and any other mid forehand, how do those other discs compare to the buzzz?

Ryan,
I would try a Star or Champion Shark or a Star or Champion Roc (if you can find one that is affordable). They will add a little stability and are very durable. They are both forgiving of mediocre forehand form. Another disc to consider would be a DGA Shockwave. However, if you want to improve your form long term (not just your short term scores), it will be beneficial to learn to throw neutral discs with a clean forehand (DX Roc, Buzz, etc...).
-Tim

I was being facetious

facetious
1. not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
2. amusing; humorous.
3. lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

...and are you sure Avery Jenkins smokes crack? No wonder he's so skinny.

Once again...being facetious.

Awesome response, i guess what i meant was if the blowfly smoked crack it would go 600'.

flx drone is a highly recommended forehand approach disc. have you considered a banger GT? I find this does the trick mostly. ESP by the way.

though, if you smoke crack, maybe you should try the 'wheel' ive heard that these are great for long approaches on water holes.

Ryan P.,

I throw primarily FH and have thrown both the Buzzz and Wasp. The Wasp really doesn't feel all that much more stable than the Buzzz. For a round, I had a CFR Gremlin that I was really liking, but it found a deep lake in freezing weather. I was NOT going swimming. If you can find one, the Gremlin was very nice, though it required a bit more force that other mids I have tried.

As t i m suggested, it really helps to learn how to throw the Buzzz, etc. Shortly after I lost the Gremlin, I managed to find the touch on the Buzzz and it's now my go-to mid. Maybe it was fate to lose the Gremlin....

Hey t i m and mmmatt, thanks for the ideas.

t i m,
concerning the shark, i don't know why i hadn't thought of trying that disc. thanks for the suggestion. As for the roc, i don't really like throwing a forehand with a disc that has a bead. it's probably not even the bead though. i can feel the gap between where the bead is and the outside of the disc is. (as compared to an ultimate disc). It's really annoying to me. I'm not exactly sure why, it just doesn't feel the same and it's always distracted me. I probably should have mentioned that in my original post.

mmmatt,
was that Gremlin originally a lot more overstable than the buzzz? Also, did you have a nice touch with it? I guess i'm looking for a disc that i can have good touch with forehand, but is predictably overstable.

And i don't think form is the problem. I can throw the buzz fine. the difference between the plastics for me is touch. with the esp plastic my buzz has and star plastics that i've thrown, i feel a lot smoother and more comfortable throwing forehand, and i have a much better touch with them. The dx discs don't come out of my hand flipping or anything weird flight wise, but with that plastic my fingers just stick to them a split second longer than i want to sometimes.

and by the way you two, high praise for being able to stick on topic. It's tough to not change the subject when we live in a world of ADD.

mmmatt,
was that Gremlin originally a lot more overstable than the buzzz? Also, did you have a nice touch with it? I guess i'm looking for a disc that i can have good touch with forehand, but is predictably overstable.

The Gremlin certainly held a line and I wasn't able to turn that disc over. Yes, I'd say is was overstable, almost as overstable as a driver. I was able to put almost as much power into it as a driver without it being flippy on me. I didn't have it for long enough to develop a touch for it, unfortunately, but it did seem like a disc that could be a touch mid-range.

awesome matt. thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it and probably get one sometime soon.

The Gremlin certainly held a line and I wasn't able to turn that disc over. Yes, I'd say is was overstable, almost as overstable as a driver. I was able to put almost as much power into it as a driver without it being flippy on me. I didn't have it for long enough to develop a touch for it, unfortunately, but it did seem like a disc that could be a touch mid-range.

Isn't the Gremlin O.O.P. except in CFR discs?

Found this page under the legacy section on Innova ... and this page

Forehand approaches the Pig seems to be able to hold a sidearm line really well. When thrown flat it will stay straight with a little fade at the end. The Buzzz also seems to go well with sidearm.

And i don't think form is the problem. I can throw the buzz fine. the difference between the plastics for me is touch. with the esp plastic my buzz has and star plastics that i've thrown, i feel a lot smoother and more comfortable throwing forehand, and i have a much better touch with them. The dx discs don't come out of my hand flipping or anything weird flight wise, but with that plastic my fingers just stick to them a split second longer than i want to sometimes.

and by the way you two, high praise for being able to stick on topic. It's tough to not change the subject when we live in a world of ADD.

Since I'm sure the OP has been waiting on the edge of his seat, I'd like to solve his dilemma: get a Hornet, dude! Although that has come and gone since this thread died. Nowadays, I think my recommendation would be to find a max weight, relatively flat, Buzzz. I think Z, Big Z, or ESP could all work.

It was refreshing reading through this thread before deciding to necrobump. Nowadays I hear people jump straight to forehanding Drones, Gators, Zones, Harps, and the like, as the OP was way back in 2008. So, come on, people, who's forehanding the Buzzz or other neutral discs? How far out do you use them, and what kinds of lines?

Latest posts