Form Check/update

Likely need more side bend to get it to gel:

36700ae26824e3429490807a035e642d.png

Likely need more side bend to get it to gel:

36700ae26824e3429490807a035e642d.png
Yeah I was thinking battering ram or drilling deep hyzers with flippy plastic to keep my angles honest.

What I generally see in my current form is that my shoulders telegraph a substantial amount of anhyzer coming into the transition when my intention is slight hyzer. I suspect that this has to do with rear leg balance and/or how I'm attempting to load/coil into the rear leg - perhaps too shoulder-focused instead of ????

I was able to throw for a few minutes yesterday (apologies in advance for poor camera angles). I tried the pendulum again because why not. While I did see a bit more distance with less input, I'm afraid the fundamental issue(s) persist. Need a paradigm shift.

View attachment Standstill 04092023.mov
Standstill

View attachment Pendulum Xstep 04092024.mov
Xstep

View attachment Heavy Toss 04092023.mov
15lb kettlebell toss (wind shifted the camera)

Attachments

• Heavy Toss 04092023.mov
    21.1 MB
[COLOR=var(--text-lighter)] I suspect that this has to do with rear leg balance and/or how I'm attempting to load/coil into the rear leg - perhaps too shoulder-focused instead of ????[/COLOR]
(y)

Don't see a DD there.

Mechanically in the throw you are never doing the vertical part of the double dragon letting it tow your CoG all the way back and up in your backswing so you just sink off the rear hip instead of levitating before transitioning forward. Your shoulder is rising because it has nowhere to go but up as you crash onto the brace leg.

1. Your pump should be able to keep carrying its momentum more vertically and the shoulder line toward the sky when you pump/slash through. Right now they are disconnected and your body looks a little confused whether it is pump up or horizontally.
1712792098326.png

2. Do DD kicking straight back at camera and let it carry you all the way into the tilt. You should be able to balance briefly on the rear leg with your leg kicked back before shifting forward. You should be throwing out of it.

1712792179788.png

SW could probably pause here and stay in balance:
1712792449980.png

3. If rear leg isn't getting the hint as part of the above, maybe time to switch to Reverse stride.

Attachments

• 1712792074730.png
    1712792074730.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back with a quick DD attempt. On the first toss out of it, the shoulders did seem to settle a bit more into a natural hyzer orientation.

Still looks like I'm shifting more in front than behind, however, and there's perhaps some shoulder collapse.

Need to keep your shoulders closed longer or elbow more forward. Note how your right shoulder is open to the right of your ankle so you end up rotating too early/fast and hugging yourself/rounding.
Screen Shot 2024-04-15 at 10.45.39 PM.png

Dumping a few clips from today's session. Things are generally all out of whack. Need to figure out this rear leg pronto as my plant side joints are starting to feel fatigue. If any of you fellas want to trade my cash for your coaching via zoom or otherwise, drop me a DM. I tend to struggle learning physical things on my own as my proprioception is horribly deficient (feel ain't real, right?). For example, I had a helluva time learning the low bar squat until I hired a competent coach who practically fixed it in one session. Anyways, here's a drill attempt and a P2 that somehow flew well into the mid 300s (there was some tailwind but nothing crazy).

View attachment Reverse Stride 04162024.mov
Reverse Stride

View attachment P2 041462024.mov
P2

Finally, a question. In the below still, you'll see a substantial misalignment between disc and forearm. Is this a grip issue, a balance issue, or a mixture of the two? I can play with grips but don't want to change more too many variables at once if I don't need to.

Screen Shot 2024-04-16 at 8.28.58 PM.png

Thanks y'all

Some feels are real but you often don't know until hindsight, unfortunately.

I think you're getting some of the lateral part of reverse stride and starting to develop rhythm (good) but the first thing I saw is that you are not getting great balance and compression on the drive side in the backswing. If you took the Dingle arm backswing more vertical it would probably help.

I don't know if you saw the Thighmaster... thread ... But I think your legs do look a little inert to me like mine used to. If you dont feel the "squeeze" in ride the bull, the can can drill or double dragon kicking back should help your legs feel both the balance and the load because they have to react to the kick each way to stay balanced.

Your leading shoulder is rising and arm and disc are at odds with it because you aren't landing balanced in top of your brace leg (because you also weren't fully on the drive leg). You're not quite in power stance but you're not fully in athletic stance yet. Kind of trapped between them.

Need a little more side bend probably.

I'm very chatty and active, but still think of this as Sidewinders home first so encourage him to DM if he has time/interest.

Swung a 15lb kettlebell today. Pretty enlightening. You'll see the momentum 'toss me around like a rag doll' then you'll see my try to mitigate that (probably to little avail).

What this did teach me is that the brace is way more active than I thought, or at least than how I was treating/approaching it. Seems to require a fair bit of firming up/tension in the leg. I noticed that more of the posterior had to flex and firm up, mostly the glute.

If this is sounding right y'all please let me know and I'll continue to swing heavy stuff with this in mind and focus on resisting against that momentum.

Tried a couple things yesterday. I notice no cosmetic changes mechanics-wise, however, adding a little hop did yield about 10% more distance with much less input effort. Issues still persist with posture and balance, so rear leg balance will continue to be my focus before I worry about micro-managing anything downstream. I do need to turn back deeper into the plant (why is this so hard?) so door frame drills are self-prescribed.

View attachment Battering Ram 04192024.mov
Battering Ram thought/attempt

View attachment Pure 04192024.mov
Baby hop pure ~335ft

Attachments

• Pure 04192024.mov
    12 MB
I'm starting to think that my previous cross step was too long and perhaps throwing off rear leg balance.

Tried a more vertical little hop today and really focused on keeping my mass inside of my rear foot (Northward). Also was thinking of my rear leg almost as a pole vault pole (but less flexible) and my hips and arse are the pole vaulter - if that makes any sense. Like, not trying to load into the rear leg or 'mush' on it, but to firm it up and stay inside of it so I can accelerate my body off of it forward and down into the plant? Sorry if none of that makes sense - this stuff can be difficult to explain.

Below you'll see me try a dry run and then throw one into the net. To my eyes, this looks a bit better but I wanted to see if this was a better path from which to try to build. Bonus cameo from Sasha the German Shepherd dog.

Just a couple overall comments:

You've got a lot of the horizontal parts, but not the vertical parts of the move. So I'd probably invest time there.

Overall the tilt of double dragon is missing back and forth. Most adults have a lot of trouble with it at first. Make it nice and big and reciprocating back and forth. Should probably post it from side and rear of tee. People usually have trouble with parts of it that are always related to the problems in the throw.

When you use your pendulum it's only doing half of its job- when I power mine up and I'm in decent sequence and posture, my arm mass going forward is literally helping to pull my entire body forward. Obligatory Thor gif:

MOBhmv.gif

So my move now feels like I'm coming off the rear side of double dragon (rear leg issue aside), pumping forward to keep the momentum going toward the target, then swinging back into the rear side of double dragon, then landing and throwing out of it. That big double dragon action and pendulum momentum is basically the whole effortless power engine of the move. The DD part will probably end up smaller in your move with your body type but you wanna get it in there.

Last edited:
Just a couple overall comments:

You've got a lot of the horizontal parts, but not the vertical parts of the move. So I'd probably invest time there.

Overall the tilt of double dragon is missing back and forth. Most adults have a lot of trouble with it at first. Make it nice and big and reciprocating back and forth. Should probably post it from side and rear of tee. People usually have trouble with parts of it that are always related to the problems in the throw.

When you use your pendulum it's only doing half of its job- when I power mine up and I'm in decent sequence and posture, my arm mass going forward is literally helping to pull my entire body forward. Obligatory Thor gif:

MOBhmv.gif

So my move now feels like I'm coming off the rear side of double dragon (rear leg issue aside), pumping forward to keep the momentum going toward the target, then swinging back into the rear side of double dragon, then landing and throwing out of it. That big double dragon action and pendulum momentum is basically the whole effortless power engine of the move. The DD part will probably end up smaller in your move with your body type but you wanna get it in there.

Many thanks. For clarity's sake, was this in response to my most recent vid? Reason I ask is you mention the pendulum and I've used a pendulum style throw in past recent videos.

But you also reference the pendulum momentum in general so just wanted to be sure.

Many thanks. For clarity's sake, was this in response to my most recent vid? Reason I ask is you mention the pendulum and I've used a pendulum style throw in past recent videos.

But you also reference the pendulum momentum in general so just wanted to be sure.
Both the recent one and the preceding pendulum.

I think we typically see that any issues that show up in a full pump are also evident when the pump shrinks or is taken away. So I've learned to treat it as a diagnostic as well as a bit of form.