• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Form critique - drivers 350, mids 275

goalkeeper19

Hello all, long time lurker, first post.

I've been playing for 20 years, never really pushed myself to get better. Lately I've been putting a lot and improved significantly (average 250-260 on PP360), and my drive game is holding me back.

I'm looking for more consistency and a little more usable D! I've been pretty consistent maximum at 375 for years now, hitting 400-415 on freak shots.

I know consistency/control comes from lots of repetition, but I know my form is stopping my progress.

Known issues:
- dropped shoulder, constant hyzer release
- no hip engagement
- teebirds go as far or farther than wraiths/high speed

https://youtu.be/jBqeb21bruU

I was throwing a mixed bag of drivers and mids in an open field. I prefer Rocs/Teebirds/Wraiths, don't feel much comfort with faster/wide-rimmed discs. I very rarely get the full flight out of my longer drives.

Any help would be appreciated!

I don't really know what drills to suggest to try to correct this, I'm sure SW22 will be around to help you out. But first of all it looks like you're way too fast/stiff through your entire throw. You're going at full speed and tensed up from the beginning. You're getting to a good balanced release point with a good swing plane it seems like (even though you have hyzer issues you said), but all of your steps are at full speed rather than building up and accelerating at the end.

It also seems like since you are going so fast/tense you aren't transferring into the brace, rather the front leg is landing as you are still starting the drive off the rear foot. If you go a little slower into the X-step, then it may help you have better tempo to feel a fall/drop into the right heel and drive off your left instep to add to the momentum/shift. Perhaps check out the crush the can drills for starters, which should help accentuate the drive into the planting.

Yeah, that's quite fast and spastic starting out. Need to slow way down and be smooth and get some rhythm and accelerate late through the hit/finish. In the Hershyzer, you are kicking the wall with your foot way before your butt hits the way. In part 2 your head would be hitting the wall behind you/leaning back, instead of turning back while balanced upright. One Leg Drill should help you get the feeling of being balanced upright on the front leg.