• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Westside] Fortress

Thavoc

Par Member
Anyone throw one yet? They're on infinite. Similar to a PD? I searched for this thread and couldn't find it.

I'd be really interested to see which is the better FH disc for me out of this one and the Ahti.

Looking forward to your thoughts AJB.

Here these have great distance potential for a fairway driver. Excited to hear more.

tp flies like a lightly used culverin

vip is more stable has no turn and close to a beat felon in flight

this is the disc that will complete my search for new plastic.
fortress (both plastics) a vip sampo and beat northman. with sparks for fairways (different weifgts and plastics) bard or ibex (depending on wind) and envies. this disc makes me happy.

awaiting the ahti for superstupid windy days

I tried both the TP and VIP versions yesterday and found them both more overstable than any Culverin i have thrown. To me they seemed to fly pretty much like a faster Longbowman, just as the flight numbers suggest. As with the Longbowman, the TP flies straight longer than the VIP before it fades.

I tried both the TP and VIP versions yesterday and found them both more overstable than any Culverin i have thrown. To me they seemed to fly pretty much like a faster Longbowman, just as the flight numbers suggest. As with the Longbowman, the TP flies straight longer than the VIP before it fades.

I found even the Opto Culverins to be closer to my S-PD and P-PD. I did enjoy the handfeel, but didn't see any sort of improvement over my PDs already. The Fortress being more OS than a Culverin is good, but from what you say I'd have to really beat in the TP before the Fortress has a shot at replacing my PDs.

Would you guys say it is longer than the culverin or just slightly more stable? I throw a lot of culverins and would be curious in finding a slightly longer one

Sounds like what the Stag's flight numbers suggested it might be.

Would you guys say it is longer than the culverin or just slightly more stable? I throw a lot of culverins and would be curious in finding a slightly longer one

Longer, but only by a C-Hair. I will say this: my Fortresses kicked my PDs out after the first round with them. Slightly faster, more glide than most PDs, similar stability...but a more comfortable grip. Best disc that Westside has put out in awhile.

fortress

the original flying fortress by lightning discs

Attachments

• flying fortress.jpg
    flying fortress.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I've been throwing a VIP and a tournament Fortress around for a couple weeks so here are my thoughts so far

In the trilogy line up the Fortress fits in just on the overstable side of the culverin. If anything, the Fortress is slightly slower because of the more aggressive curve in the rim that gives it the extra stability. It also feels just slightly thicker in the hand compared to the culverin. Stability wise, it is very similar to a PD. You can throw it hard and it will go dead straight with a solid hook up at the end. My VIP is slightly more OS than the tournament. The tournament will definitely start to turn into a solid headwind.

I really like the Culverin, but mine beat in and start developing some turn pretty quickly. The fortress has not beat in for me yet, but I have not thrown them a lot. If you like the Culverin but want something that stays OS for longer then the fortress is probably the answer.

The fortress is not going to make my bag though for two reasons. First, I don't forehand it very well. This may be me more than the disc but the grip just felt a little off to me. Sparks and Felons get better results for me with the forehand. Second, the Fortress doesn't do anything for me on a backhand that a well seasoned Felon wont do. The Felon is also better in the wind, and better for forehands and overhands so it is definitely staying in the bag. If the Fortress was a little bit faster/longer then it would probably find a slot, but as it is, I don't need it.

I picked up a fortress after a search for a disc that would perform better in the wind than a JL thunderbird - my MF teebird handles any wind but I wanted something faster, with a sharp rim. The PD was an obvious choice, but I decided to try the fortress based on the slightly wider rim.

Really liking it. I also bag a wraith for max D forehand shots, but I'm considering changing things up and instead of bagging one of each mold to cover windy BH and distance forehand, changing to one of either:

VIP fortress 173g - OS FH / windy BH shots
TP fortress 166-169g - max D forehand

-or-

champ/MF/glow wraith 171g-175g - OS FH / windy BH shots
star wraith 168g - max D forehand

I see Cripes above this comment mentioned that the fortress did not work out forehand so well. Can anyone comment on their ability to forehand TP fortresses for distance or the performance of beefier wraiths in the wind? What types of wraiths are best in the wind - domey or flat, etc.

Might have to switch from the felon just for the amusing stamp

Not sure just how sincere you are here, but for the sake of others wondering, I'll say this - the felon has a narrower rim at 1.9cm and a blunt nose, while the fortress has a 2.0 wide rim, and is a true speed 10 with a sharp rim. They fly differently - the felon having the prototypical OS fairway flight with a little more glide than a firebird, and the fortress flies fast and long with reliable early fade, but not as early as the felon.

I don't know, the Fortress is working out great for me as a go to FH control driver. I think it's a much better option for FH shots than the Culverin, Thunderbird and PD. A seasoned Felon is good too but the grip and flight of the Fortress is more intuitive to me. It seems to push straight a bit longer than a Felon and the fade comes on less abruptly.

Just grabbed a 172 VIP. Never liked the Longbowman that much - this looks like what I wanted the Stag to be for windy days. Stag is a nice disc, but it is less stable than the numbers suggest. Must be those antlers....

Just grabbed a 172 VIP. Never liked the Longbowman that much - this looks like what I wanted the Stag to be for windy days. Stag is a nice disc, but it is less stable than the numbers suggest. Must be those antlers....

fortress is a lot faster than a stag no?