• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FPO Form

ILUVSMGS18

Just Another Disc Hoarder
So I've been wondering if there might be some benefit in breaking down some of the longer FPO throwers and seeing how different their forms are vs the top MPO players.

Could what allows Paige Pierce to throw so far with her small frame translate to a big increase in distance for a taller male player?

My theory is that males have been proven to be more athletic and with more fast twitch muscles than their female counterparts, so how is it that Paige Pierce throws as far as she does, and could it be possible to adapt her form to a male who has about a foot more heught and wingspan, and would that increase said male's distance significantly.

practice? while females have weaker fast twitch muscles their muscles are generally slower to tire and faster to recover. Paige clearly puts in the practice time.

Disc Golf is less about brute strength than most sports, and more about technique. Golf is the same way. You don't see many bodybuilders at the top of MPO because the additional muscle gets in the way.

So I've been wondering if there might be some benefit in breaking down some of the longer FPO throwers and seeing how different their forms are vs the top MPO players.

Could what allows Paige Pierce to throw so far with her small frame translate to a big increase in distance for a taller male player?

My theory is that males have been proven to be more athletic and with more fast twitch muscles than their female counterparts, so how is it that Paige Pierce throws as far as she does, and could it be possible to adapt her form to a male who has about a foot more heught and wingspan, and would that increase said male's distance significantly.
Paige is the Queen of Brace.
Kallstrom is the King of Brace.
Eagle is the Prince of Brace.
S5DthFi.png

b3rzV9C.png

Last edited:
Disc Golf is less about brute strength than most sports, and more about technique. Golf is the same way. You don't see many bodybuilders at the top of MPO because the additional muscle gets in the way.

I heard Ezra Aderhold can throw pretty far and play good golf

He's not a bodybuilder but I guarantee that the strength he does have is beneficial to his game

Definitely more about technique, form, and timing. Just look at Emerson Keith. He might be smaller than Paige and is definitely smaller than most of the MPO field but it doesn't seem to keep him from getting good distance off the tee.

Page moves very well and looks very athletic and powerful in her form. I'd say there are very few MPO players that are able to use their momentum to generate power in the way that she does.

If you look at football, and more specifically at scouting and things like the NFL combine, the rule is that taller cornerbacks (6'0" to about 6'4") don't move their hips and rotate as well as more traditionally sized players at that position (5'10" or so). It is going to take a truly elite athlete to be the size of Big Jerm or Ezra or Brodie and be able to move as well as a KJUSA or Dickerson or Nikko or Page, etc.

at what point does strength become a hindrance
Imo strength itself never becomes a hindrance. Strength doesn't equal muscle size.

You should look up some of the calisthenics stuff on the net like barstarzz or calisthenic movement. These guys are pretty strong, but most of these guys have a pretty similar physical appearence as ezra. Sure there will be hindrance with big sized muscles, but I don't think this is the kind of musclesize our average joe gets with a decent strength training or ever with strength training alone.

I think there are a lot more people on the courses where other oversized bodyparts becoming a hindrance, but that's another story...

Gesendet von meinem SM-N950F mit Tapatalk

The frames tend to change the swing. I don't think trying to force Eagle's swing to look more like Paige's would necessarily translate to more distance. Paul (McBeth) is like Paige in that he's very efficient and generates a lot of power despite lacking the body/frame of Eagle or Simon.

GG is another distinct example of optimizing the swing for your body type.

I don't see strength becoming a hindrance unless it effects flexibility.

It was once the thought that too much muscle would be bad for ball golfers. Now more and more ball golfers are bulking up and using that extra strength to their advantage.

I don't doubt we'll see more bulked up disc golfers.

I mean, I feel like we are somewhat assuming PP is doing something that the men are not. Their is a reason the small men out throw her. They are doing all the same 'correct' things with all the advantages males have from going through puberty.

PP is amazing, but I think this is more of a female doing everything 'correct' which makes her seem like an outlier among a peer group who for whatever reason, don't

I mean, I feel like we are somewhat assuming PP is doing something that the men are not. Their is a reason the small men out throw her. They are doing all the same 'correct' things with all the advantages males have from going through puberty.

PP is amazing, but I think this is more of a female doing everything 'correct' which makes her seem like an outlier among a peer group who for whatever reason, don't

I think the FPO sport of the side is just behind the MPO side. Paul looked like he had a cheat code on in his early career.

Once someone sets a standard like that, you start to see people rising to meet it. After Paul started dominating, we saw the rise of Ricky, Eagle, Simon, KJUSA, etc.

Paige has been dominating for even longer, but we're also seeing more talent trickle in with some younger players. Hayley King seems to be one of those "new breed" up and comers.

I've been impressed with Sarah Hokom's backhand progress. Nice slow form with an explosive release. She's pushing a consistent 300+ off the tee now days. To get a decent backhand going this late in her career (39 years old) has greatly extended her viability in FPO. :clap:

I've been impressed with Sarah Hokom's backhand progress. Nice slow form with an explosive release. She's pushing a consistent 300+ off the tee now days. To get a decent backhand going this late in her career (39 years old) has greatly extended her viability in FPO. :clap:
I gave her some tips last year. :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.10.07 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.10.07 PM.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 70

Latest posts