• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frolf vs. Disc Golf

timg

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Recently I've heard and/or seen disc golf referred to as "frolf" by a few people. Just curious as to thoughts on this, is it common in your area? Obviously "Disc Golf" is the correct term since we have the PDGA and not the PFA but there are apparently some people that believe the opposite since I've seen Disc Golf crossed out on some tournament flyers and Frolf written over it.

I saw them say "frolf" on tv. I was watching "the Office" season 3 and the one charecter was really into it and said he started his own league at some college. I never heard that term before today and definitely will never use it. Its still golf, just with discs...

The Summer Of George ...

"Frolf" has been a term that's been in use for a looonnnggg time. First time I heard it on TV was back in May 1997 during a Seinfeld episode titled the "Summer of George" where basically George wants "frolf" (frisbee golf) to become his new passion.

I remember watching the episode and laughing thinking that I was in on the joke and the term "frolf" would go over most people's heads. Apparently, it's a commonly used term up here in the Northeast (i'm in the Buffalo NY area).

Good episode (weren't they all!)

from the script:
George: Severance package...The Yankees are giving me three months full pay for doing nothing.

Jerry: They did it for three years. What's another few months.

George: I'm really going to do something with these three months.

Jerry: Like what?

George: I'm gonna read a book. From beginning to end. In that order.

Jerry: I've always wanted to do that...

George: I'm gonna play frolf.

Jerry: You mean golf?

George: Frolf, frisbee golf Jerry. Golf with a frisbee. This is gonna be my time. Time to taste the fruits and let the juices drip down my chin. I proclaim this: The Summer of George!

ssejhill, the sign I mentioned in my first post was actually spotted at Chestnut Ridge. It was a tournament flier. I guess there are some people in the Buffalo area that are pretty serious when it comes to what the sport is called :)

I forgot all about the summer of George!
"Summer of George, Baby!!!"

I've played rounds with several random groups around here, and I heard the word "frolf" for the 1st time in person the last time I played Chestnut Ridge. Seems like a perfectly acceptable word - I know what it means when I hear it, but never really use it personally. I do often say "Frisbee golf" however when talking to those who don't play, just to avoid the "what's a disc...oh yeah, that..." part of the conversation.

Yea, I don't mind interchanging frisbee/disc but "frolf" is just odd :)

OK, I'll date myself here. Frolf or folf dates back to the days when the only discs we had to play with were Whamos. Most used the 141g, I prefered the Masters; it was 150g and had grooves on the bottom plate as well as the top. The term stems from adding the 'F' or 'Fr' from Frisbee to the word golf. It was the west coast standard until the beveled disc made its debut and they were called discs rather than Frisbees, Whamo held the trade mark on that name. OK, I'm old, and have been playing for 30+ years - you'd think I would be better. Unfortunately, the muscles declined as the discs got better.
On another matter I posted the first thread in the buy/sell/trade area. I'm trying to track down Royal Blue CryZtal Buzzzes and Challengers. I don't have a lot to trade, but I do have cash too. Drop me a pm if you've got some. Thanks, Jman

The kids used to call if frolf back in college, 10 yrs or so ago. Thinking about that, I went to SUNY Fredonia, south of Buffalo so maybe the Buffalonians have a thing for silly names. My buddies that I play with call it Disk Golf, and Ball Golf is just regarded as evil.

hey guys, just found this place now and wanted to say hello. been playing competitive disc golf for 14 years now around the world and thankfully frolf is limited to very small pockets of the population lol.

i would never play frolf. it's bad enough playing frisbee golf. "how do you hit the frisbee with a golf club?" "oh, it's a frisbee game? maybe my 5 year old would like to play" etc etc etc.

some people hit a golf ball, i throw a golf disc.

Khao Pra Disc Golf "Treating Disc Golfers like ball golfers since Oct 7, 2007"

It should have been called 'Whoosh' ;o)

Well Golf got it's name because that was the sound it made. Wood clubs and shafts contact a ball that was made of stitched and wound ball. The resulting sound was "Golf." If we went that route, we would have to call Disc Golf, "Whoosh!" :D

Anyway, history lesson and jokes aside, I am not a fan of Frolf (Thanks Seinfled!). I am also guilty of calling it Frisbee Golf to avoid explanations. Sometimes brand names are hard to kill. I mean when was the last time you ask for a facial tissue? ;)

Firsbee sounds kiddish and Disc sounds mature and might I say even somewhat, manly (sorry ladies). "Disc" makes me think of some overly strong guy gearing up to spin in circles, hence Discus from the Olympics.

So I feel, Disc Golf and Disc Sports are the terms we should be promoting. :cool:

From the song Disc Golf Huzzah...

Some people call it frolf
But those people are dumb
It's disc golf to you and me under the sun

......you know, I don't mind using frolfing as a verb. Frisbee golf sounds like a game played with weak plastic that isn't going to fly far and possibly break when it hits the chains. Disc Golf sounds right, but it reminds me of ball golf, which I played for seven years and don't like comparison.
Disc golf > Ball golf. Their courses are all the same. They need carts. they have snooty aditudes. They got us beat with the cart girl that sells beer, but they dress funny.

Frolf in national publication

I received a copy of Dicks Sporting Goods 'Game On' mag/advertising gimmick this week and there is a section on "The 2008 Joe-lympics", you know, Olympics that the average "joe" can participate in without being a world-class athlete.
One of the items is on "Frolf", the editors like the Frolf name because "it is more fun to say than disc golf, and its better than calling the game grisbee." They go on to use the PDGA definition of DG with a quick synopsis of the history of DG & the difference between a driver & a putter.
So play whatever name-of-tossing-plastic-to-a-target game you will:rolleyes:, DISC GOLF is growing and gaining national attention:D. Major retail chain first, then world domination:eek:!!!

I do sometimes say Frisbee golf because of name recognition. 30 years ago when I 1st heard of the sport (which we played with actual Frisbees) everyone I knew called it Frisbee Golf and it was not until years later that I heard the term Disc Golf. Neither name bothers me. This site is the 1st time I heard Frolf

when i was first introduced to the sport, it was referred to me as "frolf" i just thought that was what it was called. it seemed fitting: golf with a frisbee...frolf. when my friends and i are going to play we say frolf, but when i describe the sport to someone that's never played i say frisbee golf, it's something that i think most people would understand easier; i tell them that instead of a ball and a hole you have a disc and a basket. but when i discuss it with an avid player i'll say disc golf, because i know that frolf is a taboo term, that most disc golfers feel that it makes the game sound like it's just for kids.

i'm from the buffalo area, and play "the ridge" so maybe it is just a regional thing. but the more i play and talk about the sport with people the more i convince to go out and play, because it's a lot of fun, everyone you meet on the course is very friendly, and it's relatively easy to pick up (at least the basics, i'm still workin on my annie). i've found some people actually remember back before there were pins, and you just threw at a basket on a tree. so the sport has come along way since the 1970's no matter what you call it.

Well Golf got it's name because that was the sound it made. Wood clubs and shafts contact a ball that was made of stitched and wound ball. The resulting sound was "Golf." If we went that route, we would have to call Disc Golf, "Whoosh!" :D
:

I hate to ruin your history lesson, but I have always hear that the word "Golf" comes from the term that Golf was called:

Gentleman Only, Ladies Forbidden- G.O.L.F.

I can't confirm this, but this is what I have heard.

I must agree, Frisbee sounds like a kids game. Disc sounds more adult.

What is still amazing, is how many people have never heard of the game. I try to spread the word, every chance I get.