• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Frustrated with my league option.

drblam

Eagle Member
There is a league that meets near me, but anytime I am playing the course on league day I get a real crappy vibe from the dudes who are warming up. They take over the course, and really seem to be super competetuve, so I don't want to play with them and mess up their time.

I could totally understand that hyper competition might be their joy, and that is totally cool because they pay to play/must like it that way. Many of the nicest golfers I have run into basically tell me that the league there is kinda jerky, but I don't know where else to go to get good competition and learn how to improve.

Really, I am frustrated, but don't really think they are doing anything super wrong or horrible. I guess I feel like their league isn't as open and welcoming as the sport on the whole has been.

Have you approached them?

My league gave off "bad vibes" too, until one day I just walked up to them, introduced myself, told them I was looking to improve, etc. After that they were totally cool.

I finally figured out most of the "bad vibes" I was picking up were more from them trying to get focused before league (yes, they are competitive...nothing wrong with that) than any sort of ill will or unfriendliness.

Maybe your league is different and it's full of *******s and dickwads; however, you can't know for sure until you talk to 'em. :)

One other thought: if the league guys are there every week or month busting their asses getting the course playable, throwing tourneys, etc., and they see YOU enjoying the course but not going to league, nor pitching in on work days, and never introducing yourself to any of them...

well, maybe they're catching bad vibes off of YOU. ;) :)

I would suggest joining them and giving them a chance. If it sucks start your own on another night. They may just be odd to strangers.

a lot of times it's dudes who know each other just being dudes. sure, they probably are competetive but every single one of them was a first timer at some point, probably thinking the same things you are thinking. "those dudes seem like dicks, i don't want to play with them" only to eventually play, get accepted and then be perceived to be a dick themselves. full circle, yo.

in all seriousness, show up and if you can make some shots, hit some putts you can become part of the in crowd too

Have you tried playing in the league even once? Maybe it is just easy for me b/c I'm a outgoing competitive person but I don't mind if people wanna be competitive. Just approach one of the players & find out what time & date the next league is (if you don't already know) show up & then after the league you can decide if you wanna keep going or not. Don't knock something until you try it.

I met a really nice guy last week, but I had to bounce before the league started to go to a dog pool party (not a typo). Maybe I will try to run into him again, and just have him run interference for me.

The course is really pretty poorly maintained, signs are inaccurate, baskets have no numbers at all and criss cross so it is normal to see people playing the same basket from three different tee pads, and I am not sure enough to know who is actually right. I don't think they are upset at me enjoying all their hard work, because I don't think there is any hard work going into the place.

Plus the ace pot is at 600 bucks, so maybe they are just trying to scare off anyone that looks like they may win it.

Jokes on them, though, I am horrible!

Plus the ace pot is at 600 bucks, so maybe they are just trying to scare off anyone that looks like they may win it.

This is the reason for the bad vibes. People don't like ace pot vultures. Lots of good reading to be had on DGCR about the topic.

Word. I will check em out when the pot is hit, if it is hit, apparently these wahoos can't hit it because it is up to 600 bucks!

I agree with what's been said. Try it out. See if you're reading the vibe wrong. Give it some time.

And if you end up not enjoying the league, think about starting your own. Try not to poach their members or compete with them: if they're running regular play, run a doubles league or handicap league. If you are put off by their league, chances are others feel the same way and would like to join a different league.

I agree with what's been said. Try it out. See if you're reading the vibe wrong. Give it some time.

And if you end up not enjoying the league, think about starting your own. Try not to poach their members or compete with them: if they're running regular play, run a doubles league or handicap league. If you are put off by their league, chances are others feel the same way and would like to join a different league.

They run random draw doubles, so I would assume they'd welcome new players. I'm sure they just thought I was an ace pot vulture because I have good enough gear to not look like a total noob (read:bag with quad straps).

I will try again a different day.

Just play. Getting to know folks takes time. Our league nights might seem cliquish, not because any of us are jerks, but because we've known and played with each other for a while. But at one point in time, I was that new guy playing random dubs for the first time, and so were the other current regulars.

i despise local league players who think they own the course that night.

i actually think leagues are pretty lame.. and for those who lack the skill to compete in other venues. like bowling leagues and those softball games where every player brings a cooler.

hopefully the league is run by an organized club, but it sounds like the league/club isn't giving back to the course much. My suggestion would be to participate, propose ideas and offer to lead the effort in seeing them through. Sometimes a little bit of effort is contagious.

Latest posts