• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fundraisers for new courses

superberry

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Can I post this here? Anywhere? I searched a bit and didn't find many posts about active fundraising campaigns for disc golf courses. Well, I'll give it a shot.

We are developing a new disc golf course across the river from the Powder Mill course in Marquette MI. We have 80 acres to work with, and will be developing a dual-dual 18 hole course with two permanent pins and tees. They'll range from Red to Gold skill levels. The property is pretty unique and features a pond, river, rock outcroppings, and subtle elevation changes throughout. This will bring our local area collection of courses to four 18s (that we manage), a 27, two 9s, and development on yet more courses (two 9s and two 18s). Marquette County is not becoming, but has become a disc golf destination.

The campaign is managed by Patronicity who secured a matching grant for us through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, so everything we raise will be matched!!!

Here is a link to the fundraiser...
www.patronicity.com/buck

Club announcements and postings here...
www.facebook.com/DiscDaUP

SEE YOU HERE SOON!!!

Whoa!!!! Eerie silence??? Does that mean no one is trying to raise money for their local courses? Or that no one is willing to give money to their local courses?

I guess my intent of this thread, as long as the concept didn't violate any rules, was that everyone could (should) post their own fundraisers they have going on, in an attempt to reach a broader audience of generous potential donors.

Whoa!!!! Eerie silence??? Does that mean no one is trying to raise money for their local courses? Or that no one is willing to give money to their local courses?

I guess my intent of this thread, as long as the concept didn't violate any rules, was that everyone could (should) post their own fundraisers they have going on, in an attempt to reach a broader audience of generous potential donors.

Look at your donor list from the new Marquette course. A vast majority of them were non disc golfers and local businesses who have no idea what DGCR, or disc golf, is. Find out how they found out about the fundraiser and advertise there.

People raise money (or try to) in the local area of the intended course. I live in Arizona, why should I fund a course in Michigan that I will never see/play? I'd rather spend what I can on a local course and those are 'advertised/posted' on the local disc golf FB pages. I'm not sure what percentage of DGCR members are from the general vicinity of where you are trying to get a course created, but it's probably a small percent....and the percent that have extra cash to donate to the fundraiser is probably even smaller.

I suggest finding out if your local area has any FB groups disc golf related and post there, you'd probably get better results from doing that.

What Bill said, not that I don't wish you well.

still, no harm in you sharing your goal to get a course put in and maybe you actually find a local or two here, but they are probably on FB as well in whatever your local group is.

I'm confused. I think others are as well. You did not ask a question in your original post, at all. Are you simply looking for ideas and feedback on how others are going about fundraising?

You all should go back and read his first 2 posts. I mean REALLY read them. Maybe read them twice.

He's not asking YOU to donate to a course in Marquette MI. Look at the thread title. It's just not that hard.

This is why we don't have nice things. Mando's right.

Around here, I've never seen a course fundraiser done by soliciting donations. Most of them have been by having an event, the proceeds going toward the project. Sometimes, with a raffle added onto it.

So the silence may be just a "not interested, not my style" reaction. Or non-reaction. I wouldn't assume it's because no one is trying to raise money, or willing to give money -- just that they do it in a different way, one that is distinctly local that doesn't involve soliciting from others.

This is not a bad idea. People who want to support projects can, and this had the potential of reaching local donors or former residents who wouldn't otherwise know. The sport is growing in many way and this is a good way to think outside the box when it comes to finding donors.

Around here it is usually the same set of people supporting our courses so maybe this is a way to expand the donor base. If course it's brings it's own set of issues regarding managing finances and such but that is an issue anyway.

Might have better gotten your point across if you lead with this:

...intent of this thread, as long as the concept didn't violate any rules, was that everyone could (should) post their own fundraisers they have going on, in an attempt to reach a broader audience of generous potential donors.

Others have mentioned fundraising at the local level, but I don't think anyone would argue reaching a broader audience would hurt.

Don't take this the wrong way. I was not really intending to drum up much, if any donations here. Posting the info about our campaign was just starting it out, and my intent for the thread was for anyone with a fundraiser to be able to post. Really just a spot to post these, and not necessarily discuss them or react to questions. Idk, ill conceived???

Idk, ill conceived???

Perhaps just poorly phrased. The original post looks more like "support our fundraiser" than "you might want to do fundraisers like ours, for your course (example of ours included)". Perhaps it just need one extra sentence, making that distinction.

<some parts snipped>

The campaign is managed by Patronicity who secured a matching grant for us through the Michigan Economic Development Corporation, so everything we raise will be matched!!!

Here is a link to the fundraiser...
www.patronicity.com/buck

When I read your post, the part that I quoted above made it seem like you ARE looking for us to help raise funds by donating. You tell us everything raised will be matched and then provide a link to the fundraiser site.

The rest of the post was just explaining about what you are trying to create.

Maybe that was the wrong interpretation, but that is how I read your post.

I don't see any issues with this thread haha. If you don't care about the topic, don't interact with it! That's what I do with most of the forum. ;) :D

Personally, this thread reminded me that I was planning on donating. I was excited when the OP posted about it in the Michigan new courses thread, but I think I was travelling or something at the time and I forgot to donate until seeing this thread. So I appreciated the extra share!

With the patroncity fundraiser, and that organization doubling your funds to $72k total, do you get access to all $72k at once or how does that work?

You said they secured a grant for you, is that something they just offer or did you have to work that out with them?

I'm interested in the original intent if the thread, to find new ways of doing course funding and getting more baskets in the ground. Thanks for this thread.

Our greatest revenue generation for our club is leagues. Dues and CTP's. We can get pretty elaborate with CTP's. My league runs several mystery CTP's a year. We procure stuff, via sales, garage sales, personal stash, donations..... We have given away toasters, maryjane plants, gift certificates, booze.... We work really hard to theme the evening and correlate the mystery CTP with that theme. It is kind of hokey, but it is usually well received. We charge 10-20 bucks to enter. Our club runs 5 pretty successful leagues and dues alone can really add up.

Latest posts