• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

Much ado about nothing lol. I played ball golf before Dg and the terms just come naturally to me and to most people I play with.

Sharing terminology doesn't bother me the slightest bit. As said several times already in this thread, disc golf is a derivative of golf.

What annoys me is the term "ball golf." :wall: It's hard to take what is said after that seriously. If I were a golfer I would be even more annoyed by that term.

Golf has been called Golf since the 15th century. It has a 500 year head start on disc golf, it is arrogant to think that disc golfers have the right to change the name to "ball golf."

Sharing terminology doesn't bother me the slightest bit. As said several times already in this thread, disc golf is a derivative of golf.

What annoys me is the term "ball golf." :wall: It's hard to take what is said after that seriously. If I were a golfer I would be even more annoyed by that term.

Golf has been called Golf since the 15th century. It has a 500 year head start on disc golf, it is arrogant to think that disc golfers have the right to change the name to "ball golf."

I'm 100% in agreement. I am a former NCAA collegiate golfer.
I took up disc golf initially as a stress reliever.

Golf is golf. If disc golf wants to borrow some of the terminology,that is completely okay. But let's not trivialize a sport that has been around for hundreds of years and is a exponentially larger market share.

There's nothing wrong with ball golf, just the people that play it.

I'm 100% in agreement. I am a former NCAA collegiate golfer.
I took up disc golf initially as a stress reliever.

Golf is golf. If disc golf wants to borrow some of the terminology,that is completely okay. But let's not trivialize a sport that has been around for hundreds of years and is a exponentially larger market share.

I don't think anyone is trying to change the official name of golf to ball golf. It's more like how people in countries where soccer is really popular call the NFL "American Football". They're not changing the name or "trivializing a sport", they're just using a term that makes a distinction more clear when two things share similar names.

I don't think anyone is trying to change the official name of golf to ball golf. It's more like how people in countries where soccer is really popular call the NFL "American Football". They're not changing the name or "trivializing a sport", they're just using a term that makes a distinction more clear when two things share similar names.
True that. In normal conversation I just say golf but use ball golf when I am contrasting/talking about DG to people or here on the site.

I too use it merely as a distinction when I'm talking about both sports in close juxtaposition. The only other time I have used "ball golf" or "bolf" is when I would be talking with my friend who is a very good Collegiate golfer. I said it more to annoy him than anything, but I don't think there's anything wrong with making the distinction.

If a girl in this area says she plays hockey, I ask if she plays ice hockey or field hockey. The local HS has one of the best field hockey teams in the state, but there are half a dozen ice rinks in the surrounding area, so it's entirely possible that she plays ice. It's not demeaning one or the other, just clarifying. When I talk to my Scottish friend and he talks about a football game (especially if he doesn't mention the teams), I have to ask if he means world football or american football. Again, not demeaning one or the other, just clarifying.

As someone who has never played nor has any clue how to play ball golf (in terms of skills or mechanics), it's fun using the ball gall terms, particularly as a new player. I felt like I was golfing...and I was! (just not ball golfing). If anything, these terms give new players and the general public a way to connect with what would otherwise be unfamiliar.

In some cases, using a DG term is appropriate. I have heard people say "basket 3" or "play basket 3," including on DG broadcasts, although I rarely if ever use that vernacular. I'd certainly never say "target." There's nothing wrong with stroke that I see, although "throw" is sufficient. However, "stroke" sounds more proper; the opposite would be ball golf using "hits" instead of "strokes." Rough have somewhat different definitions and is used less in DG, which is just fine and dandy. Fairway is pretty much the same in use, while green just refers to the putting area in DG and not a particular type of grass cutting.

It's hard enough to convince people not to say Frisbee(TM) golf. Why do we have to remove the golf part? Is it really that awful for our game to be related to a highly popular and regularly televised international passtime?

Here is one golf term that disc golfers seem to be ignorant of, etiquette.

It's been said many times already and I'll agree. Most terms make sense in both golf games/sports. But "stroke" is the one that bothers me. "Throw" is the applicable word here.

It's been said many times already and I'll agree. Most terms make sense in both golf games/sports. But "stroke" is the one that bothers me. "Throw" is the applicable word here.

To me, "throw" equals "shot".

"Stroke" would be "form" (maybe?)

I reconcile this in my mind with "stroke" being the stroke of a pencil, the mark on the card.

That, and "throw" sounding so odd in certain usages. Like penalties. "If you do that again, I'm going to throw you." With the admission that "....I'm going to stroke you", if you stop and listen, has its own strange connotation.

That, and, like almost everything else in this thread, and the odd terms in other sports, once we use them enough we own them, with our own definitions, and the communication works just fine.

Why can't we just embrace the fact that we derived our sport from golf? We have "golf" in our sports name! We are both unique in our own ways but let's give golf its credit, it was here first.

I don't like golf very much. Mostly because of not too nice encounters with golfers attitude.
But there are enough similarities to accept the same terms. Except those that are completely wrong - like "hole" or "stroke".

Maybe we should make list of those really wrong terms so we really know what we should change (it's up to us to change ourselves)

So here is a start:
hole
stroke
tap in