• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Get the ball golf terms out of disc golf

Hole is not necessarily wrong. The first baskets were called pole holes.

From DGA's site
Today more people know what disc golf baskets are when they see them in the park. In 1975 when DGA first unveiled the first Disc Pole Hole disc golf basket to the Frisbee® community, it was a revolutionary breakthrough.

Ed Headrick started the DGA with his son Ken to work on the first Disc Pole Hole disc golf basket. When they began, people were throwing Frisbees at light poles, trash cans, signs and trees. DGA's first Disc Pole Hole consisted of 10 chains hanging in a parabolic shape over an upward opening basket, (US Patent 4,039,189, issued 1975). Ed had tried many prototypes before cracking the idea of hanging chains over a basket. The archives of the DGA are full of pictures of fishing net contraptions, welded boxes of rings on poles and other sketches hatched out of Headrick's imagination.

Since DGA's founding there have been many attempts to improve upon the Disc Pole Hole's basic design. However, just as the basic design of the bicycle has lasted the test of time, the basic design of the first Disc Pole Hole from 1975 is still the foundation of every basket today.

Over the years DGA has come out with many inventions and patents improving upon the original design. These inventions include multiple rows of chain (inner chains), sliding attach point for the chain(sliding links), the Trapper Basket, and most recently the V reflex chain configuration found on the Mach Lite.

I don't think I could even if I tried. They're too close to each other to separate out.

Me either.

We already have some of our own terminology Hyzer and anhyzer, we use feet instead of yards and we disc up or down, not club up or down.

We even share "equipment" terms, Driver, fairways, mids and putters. What part of a disc equates to a putter? What else should we call a putter, inside the circle disc? Putter is easier.

I don't think too many terms will change unless they come from the pro tour down, grass roots up is too slow and regional at times to have any affect.

It's also a lot easier to explain the game to someone new with crossover terms.

We already have some of our own terminology Hyzer and anhyzer, we use feet instead of yards and we disc up or down, not club up or down.

Good point. If you think about it, it seems golf has to do much more with the dynamics of where the ball comes to rest as it pertains to the challenge of the next hit/stroke: fairway, intermediate cut, hazard, bunker, etc. The actual flight path from the lie to the next lie, for the most advanced golfers' (hook, slice, backspin, etc) might be intentional. But for the rest of us.....

For disc golf, the prevalent and interesting terms are are descriptors of what happens to a disc in flight - unique terms like hyzer and anhyzer (as you said), but also hyzer flip, turnover, spike hyzer, roller, scoobie, cut roller, thumber, etc etc etc. The richness in our terminology mirrors the richness of our game....the aerodynamics of discs.

Last edited:

Latest posts