• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Getting rid of smoker-smell?

Lynn LeFey

Par Member
I've purchased a few discs from PIAS lately, and they've all smelled like frickin ashtrays.

I scrubbed them with dawn dish detergent, and used a 'magic eraser' sponge to clean them. The smell remains. I soaked one in hot water with 3 tablespoons of baking soda. The smell remains.

How do I get these things to stop stinking to high heaven?

They smell so much that they're making the discs NEXT to them in my bad smell bad too.

:mad:

Spray with Jovan Musk, let sit until dry. Now it will smell like a smoker wearing Jovan Musk.

Leave them out in the sun for a week or so. Vinegar could also help, but it's really hard to get the smoke smell out of anything.

The sun helps more than anything else, in my experience. It never really goes away though.

I have had a few stinky discs in my day. Plastic is a chain of polymers, and the stank molecules seem to get trapped in the gaps for whatever reason. You have to let those bad boys soak in some hot soapy water. I use dish detergent with good results. It may take days, depending on the severity of the stench. I highly doubt ashtray smell can trump Sunnyside Park pond funk though hahaha.

The water in our local course is super gross. Well... not the water, the 6 inches of black mud under it. I had to ditch a pair of shoes I waded in with because no force on earth made them smell like anything besides rotting butt.

I'll try the sun solution, and report back.

The water in our local course is super gross. Well... not the water, the 6 inches of black mud under it. I had to ditch a pair of shoes I waded in with because no force on earth made them smell like anything besides rotting butt.

I'll try the sun solution, and report back.

Did you try hosing them down with AXE body spray? As a substitute for showers for really bummy dudes, it is purpose-built to cover funk. KISS cologne works well too. My buddy left a few steaks in the back seat of his car and forgot about them. His car had like a foot of standing garbage in it, but that is beside the point. Eventually, the meat rotted and got stinky meat juice all over his interior. The smell was undescribable. Super pungent stench that could gag maggots. Long story short, KISS cologne was the only thing that could cover that stench. Which should speak volumes about guys who wear KISS cologne hahahahaha. One of my exes bought it for me as a joke gift, but it has proven useful for conquering stank.

Best I've found for smells is actually soaking them in lemon juice for several hours. (I typically go overnight in a 1 gal zip-lock) I'm one of those hideous (yet courteous) smokers, so I don't notice a smokey smell on my discs. However, I have had several swamp recoveries that were naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty! The lemon juice does a decent job.

Wouldn't rubbing alcohol do the same thing, and cost a lot less?

Or do you mean drink Vodka until i stop caring about the smell? :D

Actually you can get a pretty big jug of vodka for cheap. I dont think alcohol works the same but can. Something about the vodka seriously does work specially on fabrics.

But yes drink some too!

Yeah, I just tried the rubbing alcohol on a soft Challenger putter. The stamp started coming off after about 1 minute submerged. Weird.

In my experience nothing works. I got one recently in a trade. Thought I had got the smell out. Then it sat in the trunk and got hot and it reeked again. Never tried just the sun. Since heat brought the stink back out, I guess long enough could get rid of it. Please report back.

Latest posts