• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Go to Hyzer disc?

In general more over-stable discs want to get to the ground sooner and "spike" in or skip hard when thrown low. Neutral to slightly understable molds are some of my favorite discs to throw long glidey hyzers with while placement and spike hyzers generally call for a more OS disc

This so much. People dont seem to get this. I talked to the guys in my club about this 100's of times, and they still take their most overstable discs when they want much right to left movement. I pitty the fools ^^

Anyway, goto hyzer discs ( with glide ):

Aviar, Wasp, Teebird, Destroyer

Goto meathook discs :

Zone, Drone, Predator, D1

Lately I've been toying around with different approach tactics. I've found that on a 100-150ft, wide open shot at the pin, I can pull out a meat hook and throw the low skip hyzer. I can "run it" with a good possibility of making the skip, without blowing way past the basket. I carry a blizzard Boss for the shots I just described. The lighter Blizz plastic allows the disc to skip a little higher and further than its heavier counterparts.

I loved my Champ Banshee as a utility disc (overhand and big hyzers like nobody's business) but I lost it. I used as a shorter Firebird, essentially. Now I power up my M2 usually (I generally play shorter courses) but if I play a longer course I can throw my AR Mantis or a first run Star Wraith.

High speed discs work pretty well for hyzer shots. Not having a big arm makes these 13/14 speed discs pretty darn OS. I use a King for most longer hyzer work, my Drone for shorter shots and a Z Crush for low skip hyzers.

Lots of variables in hyzer shots, so I can't really make a blanket statement about any one disc I've thrown.

For me the hyzer line-up is:

GL Pain-for the shots around 250 and under, where I want controlled glide, fade with a predictability that you can set a watch to, and not much skip.
Opto Trident- For those hard lefts 350 and under. I have to give it everything I've got to get it out 350, but I know it will always fade hard. Skips can be kinda long with it, so I have to throw accordingly.
Opto Striker- I can use this one for pretty much everything, so it's what I throw when I want a line that I can close my eyes, let it go, and know exactly where it'll be.
Premium Slaidi- For those super long sweeping hyzers, hyzers that need to fight the wind, and for when I want it to tombstone on impact.

for me it really depends on the disc. i can throw a nuke on a hyzer and have it hold that line or i can throw my force on a straight line and have it naturally hyzer out. or i can throw an understable disc super high and have it fade out and stall left. There are many types of shots and it just depends on what the hole requires.

hope that helps

I really appreciate all the help on this matter. I do look for others with experience to help me further my game.

I really appreciate all the help on this matter. I do look for others with experience to help me further my game.

buy every disc mentioned in this post and get back to us with your findings. :)

Firebird - driver
Drone - mid
Zone - mid/putter

There are many ways to skin a cat, you just have to find out which way is best for you.

It all depends on the distance and what I'm looking for in the flight characteristics.

If I'm throwing a spike hyzer from anywhere in the 150-300 range...it's either my Zone, KC Pro Roc, Rival, Banshee or Predator...all depends on the wind and if I have to crash through trees or brush.

If I'm going for a gentle hyzer then it's the Judge, KC Pro Roc, Rival or Valk.

If it is a sweeping hyzer I love to throw the Judge, KC Pro Roc and Stingray.

No go-to, I throw hyzers with most of my discs overstable and understable, fast and slow. The orc should work very well for long distance hyzers without too much headwind until it get's scuffed up (champ wears extremely slowly btw) and/or you start throwing significantly faster. Right now you are new and aren't throwing with exceptional speed and athleticism yet so don't try to copy anyone! Just figure out what works for you because your results will vary quite a bit from a pro. Don't focus on the name, brand, or speed of the disc just throw a lot of discs and use the ones that perform best.

Last edited:
Just because I like stirring the pot a little bit, I'm more than happy to throw long hyzers with a Sidewinder. It's the best combination of pure length + most right-to-left distance. Of course, I have to release it with huge hyzer and have a lot of height to work with. I'll use it on Renaissance Gold #2 and #3.

@ Ted Bratton: I feel that I have chosen what is working for me and that seems to be good. On my home course, Rocklin DGC, I have been able to average +2 to +5. Over the last month or so, I have changed some discs and increased some of my distance. It all depends on the course layout, but with the settings the way they are now, mostly mid placement, I have lowered my average to -2 to +1.

I try to take all the advice I can get from players that I meet up with or partner with in the weekly doubles. I know that what works for some may not work for others. It is pretty general when it comes to form, and that is something that I have been working on. I know that when I find something that works, I tend to stick with it. Now, it might not be conventional...like me throwing the Missilen, but it works and why go away from it...until it breaks and don't work no more.

I am game for trying many of the suggestions that have been handed down to me over the last day via this post. Thank you to everyone that has chimed in....I really do appreciate it. I will be taking this advice and moving forward, hope to do well in the upcoming Rocklin ProAm, which will be my first PDGA tournament.

OP from your first post...it really sounds like you want a Valkyrie....It's basically a little more stable than your sidewinder. I have a 175g Star Valk and it is fairly stable....from your experience, this is what youre looking for....

FIREBIRD is too overstable (i think) for your tastes at the moment.

(I also really like the PULSE as a consistent straight-hyzer disc)