• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good Forehand Midrange Disc

Jax11

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm fairly new to the game and really prefer to throw Forehand, but my midrange game really lacks because I cannot throw my Dx Roc forehand consistently. I'm looking for suggestions for a good forehand midrange disc made by any manufacturer.

My favorite forhand drivers are the DX/Champion Wraith and Champion Starfire which I can throw 275-325 feet consistenty.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

You probably want one of the more stable midranges for that, you might try a gator or a drone.

Well first off let me say that I prefer to drive with my forehand as well...but learning the backhand for the midrange shots and certain tees is very handy:) But a forehand drive with the Wraith is my favorite and best throw.
That being said, I've had the same dilema as you lately and have found 2 solutions. 1 is that is throw a slower speed driver like a firebird and I just throw it slower, and maybe give it a touch of annie to make up for the inevitable right turn:)
Also, I've been trying smaller diameter midrange discs like the Gator and have been having some success. I'm looking into getting a cro.
Seriously, I'm not so good with a Roc either, but I've been throwing a Coyote pretty well with my backhand on midrange shots...it's a pretty forgiving disc.

Well first off let me say that I prefer to drive with my forehand as well...but learning the backhand for the midrange shots and certain tees is very handy:) But a forehand drive with the Wraith is my favorite and best throw.
That being said, I've had the same dilema as you lately and have found 2 solutions. 1 is that is throw a slower speed driver like a firebird and I just throw it slower, and maybe give it a touch of annie to make up for the inevitable right turn:)
Also, I've been trying smaller diameter midrange discs like the Gator and have been having some success. I'm looking into getting a cro.
Seriously, I'm not so good with a Roc either, but I've been throwing a Coyote pretty well with my backhand on midrange shots...it's a pretty forgiving disc.

A Cro and a Wasp work out well, but I have noticed the last few throws with my wasp it turned over BAD. However, I think I released it wrong as it looked wobbly.

whenever i try using a Buzzz FH it just wobbles and looks horrible at first gets good D tho - somehow the Gator doesnt wobble much when i release. feel much more comfortable with the FH Gator

I am really surprised to see you say that throwing a firebird is working because while it is a slower disc it is definitely more overstable than the wraith. Furthermore as to the question at hand I would definitely try a gator or a buzzz, the gator will be a little more overstable. I would also try to get that in a higher quality plastic (Star, Champ, ESP, FLX, etc.) because that way the disc won't be changing on you constantly. I love rocs (as I carry 6 in my bag) but they're not that easy to flick and the dx is always changing on ya. Good luck in your endeavor.

As someone who is looking for the same thing, let me tell you what I have tried to this point and what my next step is. Initially I only had drivers that I could throw forehand and so I would just throw those with less power. I actually got pretty good at guessing the right power to put on the disc. This past weekend I played in a tournament with a guy who still did this for approach shots. I think there is some value to learning how to control your power. For me though I came to the point of saying gee I wish I had something that doesn't skip so much for approach shots. I tried a Banshee fairway driver and I do love that disc, but it still skips on me. So my next step is either going to be a Cro or Gator. I will probably end up with a Gator because I can get it in Champion Plastic if I find the right person selling them on eBay. If you really want it to stop though, you should try r-Pro plastic from Innova and get a Cro. I have been really happy with the way r-Pro plastic generally stops on a dime. The Cro recently came out in r-Pro and the description on the Innova web page says that the shape of the rim makes it good for forehand shots. I guess we will all find out.

Ok so I have definitely had the same problem with forehand. When I first started playing I couldn't get the backhand drive down very well so I started to throw forehand which has worked out great for me. Honestly what I have found that works great for me is a putter.

Any great forehand driver can be thrown midrange by slowing the speed down on your throw, putting a hyzer, or anhyzer angle on it or even slipping it to an S-curve. But no matter what it makes it hard because the "great" forehand discs such as a Wraith, Boss, Flick, etc all cut through the wind hard. So my solution was to find a good putter that I could throw forehand - plus putters sit down nicely and fly pretty straight. Honestly it depends on the distance you are looking to throw for midrange. I plan on my midrange being about 50 to 150 feet. The putter I currently use is a Gateway Evolution Wizard.

Hope this helps!

id go with the cro, i usaully suggest only good plastic but the dx cro can take some abuse and keep its shape because of how thick the lip is.

I also really like the gator for short-mid FH.It seems the disc has a better glide forehand than backhand for me.

A Cro and a Wasp work out well, but I have noticed the last few throws with my wasp it turned over BAD. However, I think I released it wrong as it looked wobbly.

Wasps are definately very angle sensitive thrown FH. I find that they require a little more height to work right. A little anhyzer is all it takes to become an unplanned roller. The Drone seems to be a bit more forgiving.

cro

get a cro....I throw about 1/2 my midrange shots forehand and I got an r-pro cro 175 and it fits the bill nicely.

I have birdied shots with it from 75 feet out and hit chains so many times it's not funny.

Between the cro and the teebird I have shaved anywhere from 3-5 strokes off my game a round.

My FLX Buzz handles FH much better than a Roc and also feels more comfortable. I also like the Drone, DX Gator(The Star/Champ are not as stable and I don't like them and feel different without the bead). A 168g Star Firebird also works nice as a FH mid. I also like my Soft Banger GT for dead straight FH shots inside 200'.

I really like the Pro D Drone. It works very well for forehand midrange shots.