• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good list of things for a disc golfer to own

Just one thing to add:

Cheapo plastic shopping bags.

I try to always keep a few around for picking up litter.

discdawg said:
IowaDiscGolf said:
discdawg said:
Wow. Other than whatever clothes I have on that day, I only need discs and some sort of bag.

What kind of bag? If it's anything other than a plastic grocery bag, that's overkill and you're being pretentious.

:)

Funny you mention that, a guy I play with has used a plastic bag in the past. Worked just fine.

This thread reminds me of certain deer hunters. They spend hundreds of dollars on all sorts of gear meant to help shoot deer, when are you really need is a gun and a slug.

An umbrella and rain gear?!?! Geesh.

Of course, I am not very good. Just grip it and rip it is my philosophy, and I don't see any of that stuff making me play any better.

To each his own, I guess. Just don't get mad if I laugh. :lol: :lol:

I won't get mad if you laugh, just as long as you don't get mad when I or anyone else laughs while you're getting soaked in the rain. :)

Seriously, though, it's like you said...to each his own. Having spent countless hours playing long rounds and even longer tournament rounds, I've learned that the more I prepare for that time spent outdoors the more I really enjoy it. Some of the things in the running list aren't "luxury" items so much as they are simple common sense (tick repellent, first aid, snacks for those of us with low blood sugar, umbrella, good footwear, etc.)

IowaDiscGolf said:
discdawg said:
IowaDiscGolf said:
discdawg said:
Wow. Other than whatever clothes I have on that day, I only need discs and some sort of bag.

What kind of bag? If it's anything other than a plastic grocery bag, that's overkill and you're being pretentious.

:)

Funny you mention that, a guy I play with has used a plastic bag in the past. Worked just fine.

This thread reminds me of certain deer hunters. They spend hundreds of dollars on all sorts of gear meant to help shoot deer, when are you really need is a gun and a slug.

An umbrella and rain gear?!?! Geesh.

Of course, I am not very good. Just grip it and rip it is my philosophy, and I don't see any of that stuff making me play any better.

To each his own, I guess. Just don't get mad if I laugh. :lol: :lol:

I won't get mad if you laugh, just as long as you don't get mad when I or anyone else laughs while you're getting soaked in the rain. :)

Seriously, though, it's like you said...to each his own. Having spent countless hours playing long rounds and even longer tournament rounds, I've learned that the more I prepare for that time spent outdoors the more I really enjoy it. Some of the things in the running list aren't "luxury" items so much as they are simple common sense (tick repellent, first aid, snacks for those of us with low blood sugar, umbrella, good footwear, etc.)

Well, my wife thinks I am pretty stupid for not being smart enough to get out of the rain when I play. 8)

I do like the idea of a good towel. The one I have (old ball golf towel) just smears the water around.

I have had my share of mosquito bites and show them off to others like war wounds. Like I said, I am not too smart.

discdawg said:
I have had my share of mosquito bites and show them off to others like war wounds. Like I said, I am not too smart.

Could I interest you in some choice lunar real estate? Buyer's market. :)

Just don't get bit by the ticks.

Things I always carry in the bag:

minis
birdie-bag
rule book
water bottle
sunscreen
towels
lighter
pocketknife
sharpie
pens
small notepad and/or scorecards
100% deet bug spray
Scotch-brite scouring pad - for sanding discs
marking flags (a few)
travel-pack of hand wipes
LED glowsticks
chapstick
gum

Stuff that is nice to have in certain situations, almost always keep these in my trunk:

good outdoor pants that zip into shorts
umbrella
stool
tent
storage bin for discs
rain jacket
hats (baseball and winter)
fleece
flashlight
lots of marking flags
gloves

it might have been mentioned already, but a pair of Yak Trax are an absolute must for playing in the winter. They grip insanely well on ice and packed snow without digging in too much

Just wondering what you guys think about the guys you see walking around just carrying just one or two disc and nothing else? Not even a bottle of water. :shock:

Midnightbiker said:
Just wondering what you guys think about the guys you see walking around just carrying just one or two disc and nothing else? Not even a bottle of water. :shock:

I think we all started out that way

Midnightbiker said:
That they don't play when it's hot out, when there are bugs around or when their discs can get wet. That or they're miserable when any of that stuff happens.

Midnightbiker said:

I think we were all there when we were just starting out. When I first started I just carried around my DX Shark and Eagle. At my first tourney I had about five discs, two of which I had just gotten in the player's pack. Had to carry them around in a plastic bag. Boy was my face red.

Midnightbiker said:

I just started carrying a bag 2 years ago. Before that, I was like Matt, except with a mid: Champ Valk, Roc, Magnet and nothing else. It can be done, but is horrible for tournaments when there is a lot of hurry up and wait or you have to play through conditions. For winter play, I would just put a towel in my pocket. I've been playing since 1997.

garublador said:
Midnightbiker said:
That they don't play when it's hot out, when there are bugs around or when their discs can get wet. That or they're miserable when any of that stuff happens.

I agree. I over heard a group of guys yesterday at the course, all carrying one disc I might add, saying that" they don't understand why these guys have to carry around a briefcase full of disc, taking time to choose a disc. Just throw a damn disc. I don't understand".

I just sat there a laughed. Especially when I saw all of them drive off the tee. Those disc went in ten different directions. I think only one went near the basket.

Midnightbiker said:
I agree. I over heard a group of guys yesterday at the course, all carrying one disc I might add, saying that" they don't understand why these guys have to carry around a briefcase full of disc, taking time to choose a disc. Just throw a damn disc. I don't understand".

I just sat there a laughed. Especially when I saw all of them drive off the tee. Those disc went in ten different directions. I think only one went near the basket.

Don't get too heady with your bag full of discs. I've played with some people that can make me look like a crap sandwich with nothing but a beat Roc and an old BB Aviar that is almost white from being sun bleached.

I find that most of the time I go out with my bag of discs I only end up using two or three the whole round anyway. The discs, in the grand scheme of things, don't matter much. It's how you throw them. And if someone can cover all the shots they need with two or three discs, more power to them. One or two disc rounds can do wonders for your technique.

Disc minimalization. Simplify, simplify, simplify.

cmlasley said:
Midnightbiker said:

Don't get too heady with your bag full of discs. I've played with some people that can make me look like a crap sandwich with nothing but a beat Roc and an old BB Aviar that is almost white from being sun bleached.
I've seen all kinds...good and bad carrying from one to a boat-load of discs. But the one thing I noticed this winter. More and more "rec" players (I mean worse than me by a bunch :lol: ) out playing in "less than perfect" weather. One or two discs playing in high winds, cold temps, and even with snow on the ground.

nice drive kid said:
I find that most of the time I go out with my bag of discs I only end up using two or three the whole round anyway.
I'm the same way, but it isn't always the same three discs.

I like to have water, bugspray, a mini, some tape and a towel with me so it's kind of silly to bring that stuff but not a bag. If I'm going to have a bag, I might as well fill it with discs!

Midnightbiker said:

happy to see casuals out at the course... parks depts are putting money into courses to attract folks like that, not just the habitual/regular few. so, the more of them that come out, the more courses we'll get.

mark12b said:
Midnightbiker said:

happy to see casuals out at the course... parks depts are putting money into courses to attract folks like that, not just the habitual/regular few. so, the more of them that come out, the more courses we'll get.

Word

IowaDiscGolf said:
Quality footwear...Merrell shoes are pretty good

I don't mean to hijack your thread but Merrills suck. They wear out as fast or faster than any other shoe I've tried. I had three consecutive pairs of the same style of yellow trail running shoe from them on which the sole seperated from the shoe after a single round.
The best shoes I've had are Nike turf shoes. The short rubber cleat serves two purposes: better grip off the tee and more durability. I don't lose any grip on the tee and the .5"-.75" rubber cleat takes a long time to wear down to the point that holes start to be worn in the shoe. They cost about $30 too at one of those bargain chains like Marshall's or TJ Maxx. The ones I have now have lasted about 10 months and are still going strong. Previous to these I wore out a new pair of disc golf shoes in about 3 months if not less.

Latest posts