• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Good sidearm mid-range disc?

You'll probably laugh at this, but a Buzzz works great for forehand drives.

I'll only use it when I'm in the woods on a long, tight, hole that finishes to the right at the very end (I'm a righty). But for that purpose the Buzzz works phenomenally; it flies very straight for the entire flight if thrown with finesse, and will fade nicely at the end. It's pretty easy to get a decent flick out to 200-225' with some practice. Many players around here use a Roc for the same purpose, but since I don't carry a Roc, the Buzzz fits the bill.

If you are wanting something very overstable, but a bit shorter than a XCal, try out a Champ Banshee. Very overstable, and is a great disc to mimic an XCal's flight on a shorter scale.

If you think a rhyno is a great forearm putter try a VP. The Rhyno will take a long flight out of your bag and onto the shelf.

To me the drone seems like a more useful whippet. a bit more glide (slightly larger diameter i think) and more predictable skip.

I am primarily a forehand thrower. I absolutely LOVE the ZONE for these shots it's stable enough to handle a hard snap and ALWAYS does exactly what I want. I've always thrown Innova until I started throwing this disc and couldnt even think about taking it out my bag now.

To me the drone seems like a more useful whippet. a bit more glide (slightly larger diameter i think) and more predictable skip.

Lost my kc pro whippet at Shore Acres yesterday... Just ordered a pro d Drone. Ill take ur word for it.

For midrange forearm I use mostly my Champion Orc

and sometimes I'll use a panther for straighter shots. Orc is a 10 speed disc, so you have to have a decent amount of wrist snap, but is very predictable and makes a good precision disc.

The panther is one I'll "flop" toward the hole if I have a tough lie, or need to limit the amount of fade at the end.

firebird is shorter but for a mid-range drone or zone

Lots of good ideas.
In order pf expected length
Firebird (Predator, Spirit)
then Viper
then Whippet
then Drone (Demon)
then Zone

banshee i dont believe was mentioned... good overstable disc.

you can't really go wrong with a firebird or predator either.