• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Google Maps

Static map will always be around for premium members. Browse map and route map are safe for now :) If it came down to it, I could re-write the browse map for another provider but so far it doesn't seem to be necessary and I'm really hoping to not have to do it anytime soon (or ever!) :)

The map in the app isn't subject to the new Google rules, it's only web stuff.

I didn't even know about the road trip planning function. Is that a premium function? My version is to click along my route and pick courses along the way. Does that increase the number of google maps "hits?" I recently did this from Oklahoma City to Pittsburgh and was able to find exactly what I was looking for... times eight...

The map overall is definitely one of DGCR's awesome features, and I was surprised to find some DGCRers who weren't aware. Guess I shouldn't have made them aware? I especially like being able to sort by rating, though I usually skip this. Thanks Tim.

I didn't even know about the road trip planning function. Is that a premium function? My version is to click along my route and pick courses along the way. Does that increase the number of google maps "hits?" I recently did this from Oklahoma City to Pittsburgh and was able to find exactly what I was looking for... times eight...

The map overall is definitely one of DGCR's awesome features, and I was surprised to find some DGCRers who weren't aware. Guess I shouldn't have made them aware? I especially like being able to sort by rating, though I usually skip this. Thanks Tim.
Route Planner is a premium feature. Your method works fine too, the route map just sort of automates that, allows you to save the trip, etc. As for the way you use the map, once it's loaded then anything you do with it doesn't count as an additional view/load or anything.

That said, you guys totally don't have to worry about toning down your use of the map, please keep using the site however you have been. If I have to make any changes at some point down the road you'll know about it.

Yes Road Trip is part of the VIP package and comes in handy if you do any long road trips. Enter Start/Finish addresses and then you can select various criteria to populate courses along your route. I usually do courses rated 3.5 or higher within 10 miles of route to see what pops up. Then you can tag which stops you want to make and add them to your trip route. Pretty much all the Browse Courses features can be applied to Road Trip. Then you can save your trips on your profile. :thmbup:

Route Planner is a premium feature. Your method works fine too, the route map just sort of automates that, allows you to save the trip, etc. As for the way you use the map, once it's loaded then anything you do with it doesn't count as an additional view/load or anything.

That said, you guys totally don't have to worry about toning down your use of the map, please keep using the site however you have been. If I have to make any changes at some point down the road you'll know about it.

What if you limit the map feature only to registered users? That'll encourage visitors to register on the site.

To take that a step further, what if you limit map views to non-premium members? Essentially make it a paywall. Once a non-premium member views a certain number of maps (or other site features) in a month, they're cut off. Enticing people to become premium members (and to help offset the costs associated with the site) isn't the worst business decision.

What if you limit the map feature only to registered users? That'll encourage visitors to register on the site.

To take that a step further, what if you limit map views to non-premium members? Essentially make it a paywall. Once a non-premium member views a certain number of maps (or other site features) in a month, they're cut off. Enticing people to become premium members (and to help offset the costs associated with the site) isn't the worst business decision.

It sounds like Timg isn't into the pay-limitation. The registration limitation seems like a great idea to me as well, though it may be better for the site overall not to provide a barrier. I imagine any traffic is good traffic in the web business.

Just an update on this. Google recently got a bit more aggressive with their requirements so I've had to put the browse map behind a login. I have ~26,000-27,000 map loads available to me per month so for the moment, it's members only.

I found a promising startup service called mapfit.com which I've emailed, they only charge per map load (zoom and pan all you want). I found out the ones mentioned earlier in this thread charge per tile, which if you scroll around a bit, one person can easily make 5000 requests (all these online maps are made up of tiles, on average there are 4 per map, and if you zoom in or pan, more tiles load). That adds up FAST.

If this mapfit thing works out, it's $50 / month for unlimited views. Seems like a good deal assuming the maps don't suck. I emailed them to get a demo somewhere as I can't find a live map of theirs to save my life. They also have a free plan which I'll try out. Of course it is a startup that has been around for like 3 years so maybe they run out of money and disappear.

So I'm thinking leave it all behind a login and use Google until I run out of views and switch the map to the other service until the end of the month kind of thing. Or if the other maps are good, maybe pay the $50/month and just open it up to anyone that visits the site rather than just members.

I've used a mapping app for wordpress from www.wpgmaps.com I wonder if there is a way to implement that or something similar. It uses google maps but the listings/logos/info are self hosted from your own database. Not sure how the site is put together or if that's even an option within your setup but works great within a wordpress site.

I've used a mapping app for wordpress from www.wpgmaps.com I wonder if there is a way to implement that or something similar. It uses google maps but the listings/logos/info are self hosted from your own database. Not sure how the site is put together or if that's even an option within your setup but works great within a wordpress site.

Never mind you can delete that comment, it's also affected by the API update. Damn the man :thmbdown:

That would still require the an API key for Google Maps so you'd be in the same boat as I am now assuming your site is somewhat popular. Putting it behind the login seems to have helped for now... and hey, maybe more people will sign up :)

Seems like working only with a log in isn't a problem at all. But then again, I have a login...
Yea, I just kind of hate cutting people off from that resource, even if all it takes to get to it is like 1 minute to sign up.

I'm a map guy as I can just look at the map and know where to go without an address or anything.

With everyone having a phone and some sort of mapping/GPS app, are maps here even that vital? I understand they a convenient way to sate the curious mind, as to where a course is, while browsing, but are people using this site on their phone to get to courses while driving?

I generally write down an address or local direction, in its absence, and go the the GPS in my car. Maybe I am missing how maps are used here.

Static Images

Can you generate static map previews into images rather get than use a dynamic map load? You could do this once daily so that free users get an image, but on click need a login or premium access to pan and zoom. You could even have a click through go to a larger map image. You'd then have a fixed number of map loads per day except for premium users.

Can you generate static map previews into images rather get than use a dynamic map load? You could do this once daily so that free users get an image, but on click need a login or premium access to pan and zoom. You could even have a click through go to a larger map image. You'd then have a fixed number of map loads per day except for premium users.
You're not allowed to save static images from any of the map providers, it's against their TOS. I've found a developer to help out with converting the map to a few different providers so I should be able to hop around a bit if it all works as planned and get off the Google train for most mapping purposes on the site.

You're not allowed to save static images from any of the map providers, it's against their TOS.

Yes, that makes sense. I run a map for something else entirely that uses OSM and is free. I probably don't have the load you do though.

So good news on this front, all the maps are almost converted to a new provider so I'll be able to move the browse map back out from behind a login. They're not live yet but I'm thinking next week things will switch over. It's amazing how many people registered for accounts after I had to do that, like 40-60 new people daily if not more. I guess a lot of people used the map and just never bother signing into the site.

Also, the little static map will be coming back for everyone. I've found a way to create them using open source maps (where I can save the images). I've been working on it a bunch today and almost should have it complete in the next few days. They aren't as pretty as the Google static images but they're free so there's that. I'll leave the Google one up for premium members because why not.

Below is an example of what they'll look like using the open source maps. There might be some weird centering issues on occasion or markers might be cut off at the top of the screen or something since I have no way to tell what's in view. Google had a function for that and I kind of fudged my own so it's probably not as slick.

attachment.php

Attachments

• staticmap.gif
    staticmap.gif
    31.5 KB · Views: 160
Last edited: