• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Lock Question

jhilton

Bogey Member
Here is the predicament. I struggle mightily with grip lock problems. Anytime I am going for my max power, I can almost predict a good 20 degree right grip lock. Problem is, when I go for max power in an open space, that grip locked release actually goes about 30 to 40 feet further than a non-grip locked release (albeit to the right).

Question is, how can I get all that grip-lock snap and power, without throwing the disc 20 degrees right?

phisherman's response sounds like a joke, but it potentially has merit. Most golfers release the disc early which leads to less distance and throws to the left...do this enough times and the mind tells the body this is straight ahead rather than slightly to the left. I'm not saying this is what you're experiencing, but it's something to consider as a possibility.

I'll take that into mind... but imagine that it isn't an early release. What mechanics flaw might cause the same thing. It's only on throws where I pull my hardest.

Switching to slicker discs than washed to grippy rubber may help. Form wise accelerating the arm late should help. That is looser muscles and real power from the arm increasing only after the disc has started passing the right pec. Elbow forward before the straightening of the arm helps and much more will be pulling close to the right pec. Possible a little sideways adjustment of the planting position of the last step may help too in some cases.

jhilton said:
I'll take that into mind... but imagine that it isn't an early release. What mechanics flaw might cause the same thing. It's only on throws where I pull my hardest.
Starting your pull too early and not pulling close enough to your chest will both cause grip lock.

Thanks. I worked today on keeping the disc closer to my right pec, and I think that may account for a lot of it. Must have slowyl drifted away from my pec over the last month or so.

Starting your pull too early and not pulling close enough to your chest will both cause grip lock.

correct.

chances are you are starting your pull before your right foot hits the ground.

Ahhh.. this is so frustrating. I thought I had the grip lock fixed by bringing the disc closer to my chest, but now it is back like crazy. Sometimes the disc is coming in so close it is actually hitting me in my left side's ribs/pec area. And now, the further I try to throw it to the left to adjust for the grip lock, the further right it goes. I have to actually throw about 75% power, or throw with a three finger grip, which also lacks the power to get a good snap, to get a straight release. It is unbelievably frustrating. I am beginning to feel like practicing disc golf only makes me worse at disc golf.

I've struggled with the same problem, and occasionally still do, and for me the reason is too early body turn when I really try to crush it. The disc hitting your left side is a symptom of this; it's not really the disc hitting your left side, but you're hitting the disc with your left side when your arm lags behind and the body is already turning past neutral. You need to delay the shoulder turn past neutral until the disc is at your right pec. When your shoulders are past neutral when you're pulling the disc past your chest, your pull line is toward where your shoulders are pointing - to the right.

At least for me, this is the cause of 90% of my "grip locks".

Same for me. My griplock problems started from watching the 2006 USDGC DVD where Billy and Barry are talking about Brinster and how great his shoulder turn is. This caused me to try and force mine to get more D and totally borked up my throw. BTW on hole 3 Schweb mentions that he's throwing a Roc he got from Blake :p.

Hey Jhilton
This describes me to a tee. I throw a couple of good ones and try to give the next one a little more juice and I invariably hit myself on the left side. I know the instant the disc hits me I turned my body without pausing for a nano sec to let the disc glide into the pocket. Given the pocket is about a disc width passed the right pec I know I started my turn at least 2 feet too early. I believe this is what is referred to as severely "effed" timing. The good thing about this is I can usually correct it on the next throw. Bad part is I can't stop doing it.
I also have had some of my best "feeling" shots, rip wise, start and end 30 degrees or so right. These happens when I don't bring the disc in close enough to hit my left side but still rotate way early. This may seem like a silly question but, Is this really grip lock or just simply having the disc rip out as it should, just wide right due to poor timing? I quess I think of grip lock as hanging on too long. Best of luck fixing this issue you are not alone.
SD

After hearing your discussion, i think it is DEFINITELY in my timing. I tend not to pause at all, and need to play with a pause in my rotation. Thanks for the responses, I'll give it a shot and see what comes up.