• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

grip lock

thcdisc

Par Member
ive been playing a long time now 100% forehand except for putting. all my friends insist that i learn a backhand drive so i have been practicing alot lately in the fields. the problem i have is 1 out of every three shots i grip lock hard on. i mean the serious grip lock where the disc shoots out 90 degrees from where i want to throw it. id appriciate any tips tricks on starting out on backhand and not griplocking so much thanks

pull straight through close to your body- don't worry too much about release point- if you are pulling straight through your wrist will naturally tend to "break" at the right point.

When something like this happens to me I make myself slow down...that alone doesn't solve the problem but helps me figure the problem out.

I stopped grip locking when I started not trying to bomb the hell out of everything.

Griplock seems to happen mostly when you bring the disc around in an arc away from your body rather than a straight line across close to your chest.

its all about technique, not muscle

It seems that most of the time when I griplock it was because I was holding the disc (inside the rim) by applying pressure with the "pads" of my fingers (ie where your fingerprints are) instead of with the tips of my fingers.

My griplock problems are usually created by my feet, not my grip.

It's a timing issue, and the earlier post about not rushing, or not trying to bomb the hell out of it (which messes up timing), applies.

At least for me.

having many different shots cant hurt your game

I agree with everything that has been said...
I will probably get ripped for this, but when I went from a 4-finger grip back to a 3-finger grip (under the Rim) most of my bad griplock troubles went away. Apparently my pinky was the problem. I have considered amputating...

I've only had griplock problems with two of my discs, a pro d cyclone and a pro d buzzz. I wonder if that grippy pro d plastic has something to do with it.

My griplock problems are usually created by my feet, not my grip.

It's a timing issue, and the earlier post about not rushing, or not trying to bomb the hell out of it (which messes up timing), applies.

At least for me.

I've played many years, can't ever remember griplocking until the past year or two. I didn't believe the timing argument but I'm 99% convinced this is the cause (for me anyway). My hips, knees, ankles and feet give me some trouble now and it really can screw up my timing. BAM shankapotomos.

Latest posts