• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip problems - middle finger knuckle catching disc

Bush Cruiser

I've got some kind of grip issue that I can't shake. When I release (backhand) the disc catches on the knuckle of my middle finger knuckle, the middle one. Google called it a PIP joint.

I've got a sore callus on my finger and aim issues that aren't improving. It's only an issue when I throw hard, my putting has been improving like normal.

I've watched a bunch of videos about grip and I can't seem to fix it. Anyone else have this issue? Or knows someone that fixed it?

Marked to watch this thread - my issue is the area a few cm from the knuckle where the nail meets the cuticle. I can't seem to avoid that point on either BH or FH throws (at least decent ones)

I'm not sure if my problem is 100% the same, but some time back last November my middle finger started catching on the rim as I released BH. I'm not sure exactly sure what part of my finger was catching or how, but I was getting abrasions where the nail meets the cuticle like Bill said, and general pain in the finger. Eventually this turned into a sprained finger, and I'm only now starting to be able to throw without the finger wrapped up. Be careful and watch for sudden swelling!

I tried throwing fan grip so only my pointer finger was actually wrapped around the rim, but this only helped so much - my middle finger was still catching somehow. Ultimately I think it is/was a more nebulous issue involving my overall posture, how I'm leveraging the disc out, etc. I'm still struggling with it, but my best feeling throws are the ones where I stay in good balance, i.e. don't get accidental nose up by tipping over, and where I'm focusing on throwing the back of the disc so it hammers all the way out, rather than slipping out early.

Frustrating issue for sure, good luck!

My FU finger will swell up like a sausage, so I've had to modify. Gets dicey as I improve and get more speed, too. I just avoid having that finger against the rim. End up with some sort of stupid power fan, which would be even more worthless if I had any power. Good luck. IMO, grip is one of those things you can keep refining over years. Doesn't seem that complicated, but I'm finding I shouldn't imagine I've arrived anywhere.

Might help to post your grip.
PXL_20240430_004803502.jpgPXL_20240430_004739009.jpg

Ignore my gross painty hands, I was doing trim today.

I had some success with my finger issue by cocking my wrist a bit more on the pullback, and trying to release with a more neutral wrist. It seemed to reduce the rub a little, but I'll have to play around a bit more. I didn't get as many throws in the field as I wanted because a dog stole my disc and then tried to poo on it. No tooth marks though. Good boy.

No matter how I trim that nail it flattens where the disc rests against it and the area under and the cuticle to the side gets irritated like crazy. This point seems to always be the last part to release from the disc on all types of my shots. I've moved it all over the plate and have settled on the middle finger spread like above but with the ring finger tucked up by the middle to support it. So far that's helped but has caused tendon pain down the pointer finger thru my forearm. Medical tape helps but it always sweats off.

20240430_082612.jpg

View attachment 338831View attachment 338832

Ignore my gross painty hands, I was doing trim today.

I had some success with my finger issue by cocking my wrist a bit more on the pullback, and trying to release with a more neutral wrist. It seemed to reduce the rub a little, but I'll have to play around a bit more. I didn't get as many throws in the field as I wanted because a dog stole my disc and then tried to poo on it. No tooth marks though. Good boy.
If I throw a lot of putter drives with fan grip it will rub my middle finger as well, so sometimes I will switch to power grip which helps.

If I throw a lot of putter drives with fan grip it will rub my middle finger as well, so sometimes I will switch to power grip which helps.
Actually not bad. I've gone to power grip on anything but short putts and it seems to help. It feels weird and awkward but I don't seem to be doing any worse score-wise.

Unfortunately, the power grip tucks the exact problem area into the inside angle of the disc to get ripped out from. I've had some success setting putters deeper into my palm but still too many throws come out like a wounded duck. Getting grip pressure on the leading edge of the disc is a 50/50 thing lately.

I got another round in and the power grip is working for me. My local course is heavily treed and short holes. I got away from the power grip early because I was inaccurate off the tee and throwing it into trees, and who needs power when the basket is 130' away?

I guess something changed in the last while of playing because now my power grip has better accuracy than fan grip on the hard throws. And no more sore finger!

Thanks a ton, seriously. I've spent 6 months watching my putting game get better and better, while my driving was stagnant until about a month ago when it actually started getting worse. I feel like I'm progressing again.

Unfortunately, the power grip tucks the exact problem area into the inside angle of the disc to get ripped out from. I've had some success setting putters deeper into my palm but still too many throws come out like a wounded duck. Getting grip pressure on the leading edge of the disc is a 50/50 thing lately.
You gotta post pictures of your grip. I just learned this myself.

Finally got some decent pics and circled the area that I'm having pain and swelling with either power or fan grips, since both release from that point last. Tape helps some but I have to fight through issues getting a clean release (and sweating it off in the summer).

full

full

full