• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Grip Tips for Rocs

when i first started throwing rocs.....i took a stack to a field and just kept throwing until they felt comfortable

I found that learning to adjust your power grip to fit different discs is a good way to really figure out how to actually grip a disc. You'll learn what's important that needs to be the same from disc to disc and what can change a bit. This article will help a lot, too:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

I find it's best to learn a power grip with all your discs. If you then choose to use a different grip that's OK, but I guarantee you that the best players in the world that use grips other than a power grip for their midrange shots can throw their midranges with a power grip but choose to use a different grip instead.

Power grips on a roc or putter dont work for me. Buzz onthe other hand, you hae to power grip those, forget finesse shots with a fan grip on a buzz, wont work

i use a power grip on rocs, but it took me a while to get comfortable with it. i used a fan grip for about 18 months with mixed results. the thing that helped me was getting comfy with power gripping my aviars. once i got used to that and tried it on rocs, it was a breeze.

I have a grip specifically for my mids that works well for me. I stack my pinky, ring, and middle fingers pretty much on top of each other and up against the inner rim. My index finger goes on the flight plate and my thumb on top as normal. I struggled with grip on mids for over a year before I found this grip that felt semi-comfortable. I'm sure there are better ways to do it though so take this with a grain of salt.

Appreciate all the advice guys! I seem to have fixed things, oddly enough I did the Right Peck Drill with the Rocs with a power grip and they flew straight with minimal to no wobble almost every time. While not getting the distance it really helped readjust my throw and with practice the distance will be there. Thanks!

Appreciate all the advice guys! I seem to have fixed things, oddly enough I did the Right Peck Drill with the Rocs with a power grip and they flew straight with minimal to no wobble almost every time. While not getting the distance it really helped readjust my throw and with practice the distance will be there. Thanks!
That sounds like a bit step in the right direction. Good work!

Throwing sidearm I would just start with a two finger stack. It gives a good amount of control and power.

Very true, this is how i throw. My friend however seemed to turn it over doin the stack, he uses the V (index on the rim, middle finder near the center) grip. I find he loses distance but has much better control with the V. What ever works i guess!

I have a grip specifically for my mids that works well for me. I stack my pinky, ring, and middle fingers pretty much on top of each other and up against the inner rim. My index finger goes on the flight plate and my thumb on top as normal. I struggled with grip on mids for over a year before I found this grip that felt semi-comfortable. I'm sure there are better ways to do it though so take this with a grain of salt.

When throwing Rocs, or really any midrange, I get the best results by using Climo's "fork grip," which it sounds like jtreadwell is using from his post above. When I move up to fairway drivers, I drop the pinky, and when I move up to high speed drivers, I drop the ring finger as well.

Everyone's hands are different, so your mileage will vary, but it's worth it to look up information on Ken Climo's fork grip. There are probably video clips on Youtube, and he and Feldberg do a good explanation of it in their instructional video. As you will see Feldberg suggest, Climo's fork grip is generally better for people with large hands, whereas Feldberg's variation on the four-finger power grip will generally work better for people without large hands.

Another thing to watch for is the nose angle of the disc as you pull it across your chest and release it. If it's in a different plane than the direction of your throw, or if the plane of the disc or the throw changes during your pull, you're likely to get OAT (the disc will flutter out of your hand and show extra understability). It looks like trying out the right pec drill may have helped you with that already.

Last edited:
Actually tried some Roc sidearms today and had a lot of success when I consciously slowed down my arm and used more wrist flick. Got much more stable flights with little to no flutter. I primarily use the 2 finger stack on mids but have problems turning them left with lots of flutter but I think I figured out the solution to that, hopefully. Thanks!

Um I'm using a San Marino Star as my go to Roc, and its like 173, I have a DX I'm working on beating in that is 174, then I have a 180 KC Pro as my more overstable version

those are good weights for the most part, get a few more in dx when you have the chance. don't be afraid to snag some seasoned ones from the marketplace, they are cheaper than new ones and worth more (in my opinion) because they're already past the 'awkward breaking-in period'. try a lighter kc for your overstable roc at some point. the 180 will fill that role, but the big difference in weight is kind of a crutch. a 174-175 will be plenty overstable and much easier to throw.

Thanks! The DX is actually starting to beat in nicely, my home course is woods based so lots of nice trees to hit a disc with lol.