• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Groove vs Shryke for sidearm throw?

Achasteen

I was comparing these discs on the shelf and was trying to decide which to get. They have the same stats 13/6/-2/2. The biggest difference was the shape of the rim. I power grip the rim like a pencil for throwing front hand. The writing bump on my finger actually fits nicely on the Groove's curve. Looking online, people seem to not like the Groove calling it gimmicky and the Shryke is more praised and popular. I wish I could try them both, but I can't really invest in more than 1 disc. Thanks for your help deciding!

I was comparing these discs on the shelf and was trying to decide which to get. They have the same stats 13/6/-2/2. The biggest difference was the shape of the rim. I power grip the rim like a pencil for throwing front hand. The writing bump on my finger actually fits nicely on the Groove's curve. Looking online, people seem to not like the Groove calling it gimmicky and the Shryke is more praised and popular. I wish I could try them both, but I can't really invest in more than 1 disc. Thanks for your help deciding!

I used to crush a Groove, backhand, when I started playing.

If the Grip feels good, you could use that to your advantage. But keep in mind most discs, besides the Monarch, don't have that feature. All that to say, if you get too used to that 'groove' it may end up being a hindrance later on if you know what I'm saying.

Also, if you're just starting out. It may behoove you to use slower speed discs and develop good form and technique.

To add to ^that last sentence, speed 13 doesn't just mean how fast or far it will fly. It also refers to how hard the disc needs to be thrown in order to give you the glide, turn, and fade numbers accurately.

Tern was my previous sidearm disc. I could handle the speed. I would like something slightly more stable with the same rim width or thicker. Both the Shryke and Groove seem like a nice step up, but I don't know which one.

If you get a Groove, you might get one of the best discs Innova makes. Chances are around 2-3% on that. The problem with the Groove is the inconsistency of production. You really never know what will happen the first time you throw it. I had a really nice and stable one a long time ago. When I lost it, I went to buy another. It was so flippy it wouldn't work for me. Another flew more like an Ape than I needed. Another was "stable" in that you never knew how it would fly. That disc ended my search for a Groove replacement. You've been warned.

The Shryke in star plastic will be a lot like your Tern.

On a positive note, you can probably get a Groove cheap at the used bin.

Last edited:
I had a Groove years ago. It wasn't understable at all. In fact it was almost firebird stable. I agree it is a surprisingly comfortable flick disc but it's so inconsistent you have no idea how it is going to fly until you actually throw it. By default I would choose the Shryke, and in fact I have a Shryke but it's currently sitting somewhere in the trunk of my car. It's not a bad disc and it will forehand but if its in any plastic other than champ you're going to have to keep that thing on a severe hyzer line with some premium snap to throw it at speed and even then you're going to need a lot of space and height.

I would instead recommend a Katana in a stable plastic like glow champ if you're looking for a speed 13 forehand bomber.

attachment.php

^That's a prototype Glow Groove, originally released in Columbus OH, Sep 2011.

Anyway, I don't understand all the Groove hate. It's an incredibly versatile mold. Buy a 1/2 dozen of them and they should cover at least 3 or 4 different slots in your bag.

Last edited:
^That's a prototype Glow Groove, originally released in Columbus OH, Sep 2011.

Anyway, I don't understand all the Groove hate. It's an incredibly versatile mold. Buy a 1/2 dozen of them and they should cover at least 3 or 4 different slots in your bag.

This is so true. Wasn't someone talking about molds to cycle in another thread? Groove should totally be there, but just use fresh off the shelf champ Grooves. Brilliant.

Grooves are like an out of date box of chocolates. You never know which one you're gonna get but it'll probably make you run to the toilet either way.

When people complain about the inconsistency of the the groove it makes me thinks, how many grooves have you owned and thrown... jokes on you I guess, really

My first thought on reading the OP was, "'A Groove' is never the answer." But that thought was wrong, as there are questions to which "A Groove" is the answer, such as:
What is a disc that would almost certainly be a waste of my money?
What is a disc that I would probably regret buying?
OR
What is a disc that has a name 10 times better than it flies?

Shrykes became a staple in my bag last summer. Between the Groove and Shryke, especially on a limited budget, Shryke any and every time. For forehand, if you are getting more snap than with BH, I would recommend a Champion Shryke. I have both in the bag, Champ for FH, Star for BH.

When people complain about the inconsistency of the the groove it makes me thinks, how many grooves have you owned and thrown... jokes on you I guess, really

Why would you buy them? If you need a Groove, just walk into the woods deep, deep off the fairway and you'll usually find one.

Latest posts