• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Gyro Chat GYROS RULE (ps innova archon something something)

NoLifeLeft said:
Mine is more stable than the Vulcans or AvSS I've thrown. Katanas, eh. More stable than the flippy ones, less stable than the stable ones,

thank u for the feedback, is there shoulder or dome to urs?

niuvalleycane said:
NoLifeLeft said:
Mine is more stable than the Vulcans or AvSS I've thrown. Katanas, eh. More stable than the flippy ones, less stable than the stable ones,

thank u for the feedback, is there shoulder or dome to urs?
Well, it is the Vulcan top so it has a steep angled flat shoulder with a ridge where it meets the relatively flat top.

I have been liking this disc a lot. Maybe it is just better for my power level, but a new wraith starts out little too stable for me. The archon is perfect for where I'm throwing. (350-380 with it) It does have a decent amount of turn during the flight, so I've been using it for more open holes, tailwind bombs, and when I need to flex a big s curve. I'm interested to see how the production run of these is going to be, as well as the star version.

NoLifeLeft said:

Exactly, so even for players in the right power range for this disc, it raises the question:

Why even throw an Archon when you can throw the Katana? And throw it further, too?

The only answer I can think of would be rim feel/grip issues. I wonder if it is a slower turning disc, or any more controllable than the Katana?

Im right around where throwindiscs is at about 350-400 with it its got a nicer feel in my opinion on the rim then the katana but katanas are my go to disc and I can huck them alot further then the archon but its not as predictable. My only real complaint about the disc is when Im throwing on a windy day it can become alittle flippy and unreliable and lets not forget it is a semi slow disc at that. overall I really like this disc hopefully they'll come out with a production run then these pre release ones.

Actually, I haven't thrown any variation of the Archon aside from the beaver state fling pre-releases. I'd be curious to hear what one of these Star stamped Star Archons flies like. My money is still on "ridiculously understable".

It is weird that the speed rating is 11 and the rim width on the PDGA approved discs list of 5/6/11 states the rim width as 2.3 cm. The same as an Xcaliber one mm more than a Destroyer both of which are speed 12. Hmm. Only a little short of a Vulcan. Which is one mm wider winged but oh so understable at speed 13 and -4 turn rated way less HSS than the -2 of Archon. According to Innova. But where is the reliability in the numbers? Beasts were -2 but i think stabilization process has been applied to some of the one year old to newer ones making it 0 turn. Oh well.

JR said:
But where is the reliability in the numbers? Beasts were -2 but i think stabilization process has been applied to some of the one year old to newer ones making it 0 turn. Oh well.
Are those new or seasoned Beasts? From what Dave D. has written on the subject I doubt the ratings were ever meant to describe how the disc flies out of the box, they almost always start out more stable.

jubuttib said:
JR said:
But where is the reliability in the numbers? Beasts were -2 but i think stabilization process has been applied to some of the one year old to newer ones making it 0 turn. Oh well.
Are those new or seasoned Beasts? From what Dave D. has written on the subject I doubt the ratings were ever meant to describe how the disc flies out of the box, they almost always start out more stable.

the new beasts are much more rigid and are much harder to flip.

they really suck. NOTHING like the smooth turn of the pearlies and other earlier beasts.

I felt one of these for the first time this weekend at a tournament and I hate that top. I can't get a good grip on it with that stupid top on it. I couldn't grip the vulcan either for that matter.

Apothecary said:
jubuttib said:
JR said:

the new beasts are much more rigid and are much harder to flip.

they really suck. NOTHING like the smooth turn of the pearlies and other earlier beasts.

I think of the no turn at all Beasts as the third model now because they have such different flight from the "new mold" Beasts. If you throw the second version Beasts hyzer flipped to flat then the difference is small enough not to matter almost each time but if you are used to annies with Beasts the third kind needs more angle and still fights out of the anny earlier and more. The difference for throwing is that with model three you can't throw as high unless you can add more angle and still you need to max out the spin. Failure to get the most spin you can on higher lines will result in model three going left where model two would go right. Different disc indeed.

I have one model two and half a dozen different weights and plastics model threes. I actually prefer model three because i prefer to throw low line drives with minimal fade on the courses we have here. On the few holes where high annies are the best option model two rules.

Dammit JR, now I'm finally going to have to throw another Beast to see whether you've just had a run of luck with high PLH Beasts or whether they mold character has really changed across the board.

I have no idea whatsoever if they are stabilized or changed altogether. What i know is that before i can get calm weather testing with my new high PLH STD and normal dome VIP Northman i can't tell which is the longest low fade driver for me. Model three Beasts fade too much for my preference but they are manageable and long so that's why i've used them. The field that was free today had rear right winds that inflated how my STD flew. In distance and fade. Actually i have two STDs and despite being dissimilar both are way more HSS than the yucky first one i got. They have a lot of promise. A little less HSS straight P PD kind of flight even in some wind. Too bad minority of the STDs at the local shop were shaped with a high PLH. Both higher PLH ones were stiffer than my first yucky one.

I got a 170 Archon and with less than full power maybe 80-90 % it flipped to flat with about 3 degrees of hyzer. In headwinds i needed double that. I imagine top gusts were at 6 MPH although we had way more during the day. Archon ain't a Wraith competitor. For me a good less stable Wraith would be halfway in HSS between a new 166 Pro Wraith. I imagine that in calm weather the Archon is manageable at my power and clean release. It's certainly not as bad as the Vulcan in flippyness. I think Innova is right placing the turn at halfway between the Vulcan and the Wraith. Archon ain't a faster Sidewinder this is more HSS than that. I don't need any hyzer for new Valks because they don't flip from flat to me. So a faster Valk it ain't until the Valk is broken in. I think i need a degree or two more hyzer for the Archon than model two Star Beasts to flip to flat.

With the winds we had it's difficult to say anything about the LSS of my production Archon. It will flex from mild annies. It did move a lot right to left in the longest toss i had but it was fairly high too.

Overall the Archon reminds me of the blue GL Flow made more realistic in the HSS and 165 VIP King (and well flattened hyzer from Vulcan) in that each of these want to stay annied for a long long time getting easy extra D. At least once turned over a little. Unlike Vulcan not flipping too much is fairly easy with the Archon. The place where i threw the Archon didn't allow low line drives so i can't tell how straight it is in that shot. Based on the higher lines lower shots have fairly little margin of error in hyzer angles on low lines but shouldn't be overly hard fading. I don't think this will still be laser straight so i think i'll have better luck with high PLH STDs.

I'll report more once i can throw in good conditions.

You know you have a third model if your Beast is slightly concave and has a definate flash. If you remove the flash it will fly like any other run of Beast-L's.

With the flash intact I think they fly like longer original mold Beasts, just a tick less stable all around. Not a bad disc, just a lot of newer discs do the same thing but better.

*looks at thread title*

*looks at the past like 15 replies*

*contemplates renaming this thread to The Beastly Thread*