• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hardest Houston Courses Ranking

So with you having a player rating of 926, a good number by many standards are only yielding a birdie less than 5% of the time at Oak Meadows versus over 11% at the LINKS. Seems like a tougher course.

Plus, your par rate is better at the LINKS as well. It just seems to me when I think Gimmie - I think should be a birdie, but never worse than a par. If my theory is true than Oak Meadows holds strong on not yielding easy holes to birdie, but your point holds water that playing conservatively may yield more pars than I give it credit for.

However, having said that - you still average half a stroke worse at Oak Meadows. :)

I'm not arguing that The LINKS (blue tees) is a harder course than Oak Meadows. Look at my list; I have Oak Meadows listed three slots above LINKS Blue.

And if you want to compare my scoring statistics (LINKS Blue attached) that's even more misleading because a fair number of those LINKS rounds were thrown well before I got to my current skill level. The Oak Meadow rounds as a whole are closer to where I am now.

Your percentages are right on for my scoring as a whole. (See second attachment.) But now you're veering into the realm of home course advantage... I've got almost 10x the number of holes played and discs thrown on the LINKS as I do at Oak Meadows. I know the lines at the LINKS and can tell you right now what disc I'd throw on every hole. Give me that many rounds played at Oak Meadows and I bet I could come pretty darn close to evening out those Bird/Par/Bogey percentages between the two courses. I mean I do throw primarily RHBH after all. ;)

I agree that Oak Meadows has a fair number of hard-to-birdie/2 holes, and those holes can easily turn into Bogey/4 results when trying for the 2... but it also has a fair number of easy-to-Par/3 holes if that's your goal... but where's the fun in that :p

Attachments

• linksstats.jpg
    linksstats.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3
  • om_vs_lb.jpg
    om_vs_lb.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 3
I agree that Oak Meadows has a fair number of hard-to-birdie/2 holes, and those holes can easily turn into Bogey/4 results when trying for the 2... but it also has a fair number of easy-to-Par/3 holes if that's your goal... but where's the fun in that :p

And I guess that's where I think of a hole as a gimmie or not. I try to always go for the hole, so maybe that's why the difference. Bottom line - it sounds like we need to play few rounds together at Oak Meadow - I'm sure that will help solve the issue. :)

And I guess that's where I think of a hole as a gimmie or not. I try to always go for the hole, so maybe that's why the difference. Bottom line - it sounds like we need to play few rounds together at Oak Meadow - I'm sure that will help solve the issue. :)
Yep, playing for par/3 requires a significantly different mental approach to the hole vs. going for the best score possible.

Since I basically learned to play disc golf at The LINKS and couldn't throw very far to start out I played a lot of holes where I was going for 3's. Going for bird/two was either out of the question or would likely result in a sunk disc so it became throw the best, safe first shot that gives you the best second shot to have an easy putt.

I can't speak for the links, since I have never played it.

As for me personally, the 21 hole lay out for the Spring Valley tournament, was one of the hardest courses I had ever played, with all the OB that came into play.

For regular play, Cedar Hills (Jack Brooks #2) is the hardest course I have ever played.

#2 Would be Oak Meadows

#3 is going to have to be River Grove. Even though its a short course, the trees make up for it. My best score out there is 58.

I think the easiest 18 I have ever played is Dunbar, but like someone said, its 50 miles south of Houston.

I think Conroe is not that difficult either, since I have pared it a couple of times, even with the new #2 and #3 holes.

I think Bear Branch from the regular tees is also quite easy. I shot my best out there at -6.

Latest posts