• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Have you ever seen...

i took out a large branch with my champion boss yesterday...it basically is a razorblade when it spins fast

after many years they do die...ask someone who has played since the 70's and still does...they will tell you bayville in va beach used to have hundreds more trees

Bayville suffers from the same thing as many other courses on flat terrain. The compaction caused by focused foot traffic will kill more trees than discs ever will. Essentially - it's rarely the disc hits that kill trees. But when you damage the external layer of bark - the tree becomes more susceptible to insects.

If the trees are young enough the lack of bark and constant scarring will kill the trees. I've pretty much sheared a small tree in half with my destroyer before. My tomahawk over a ravine took out a (dead) branch that was about an ich thick before as well. It makes them much easier to snap off when they are dead. It was cool though watching a 6 foot long branch fall from 50 feet up and onto the bridge ;)

Hole #12 at Johnny Roberts has a tree that gets hit mercilessly (often by me). It has many battle wounds. While I was designing a disc park I worked with the City Forester to ensure that we did none of the rare trees were not in the direct fairways.

It's hard to be sure with dying trees.

At Earlewood there are plenty of trees with an incredible number of scars. Some are dogwoods, and have died over the years. We've often attributed this to disc damage, but.....

There are many other dogwoods in the park that have died, in places no disc ever flies.

No doubt some trees on some courses have been killed by discs, but I suspect the number's small. Now, the number that have been disfigured....

Nice. I can't recall how many times i've been prepared to defend myself with my discs.

A boss could split someone's skull open... Some of the new high speed drivers are mean. The illusion by gateway has a mean edge on it, and the plastic is VERY hard.

Yeah. i've been throwing an illusion some lately, and that thing RIPS out of the hand. Discgolfreviews.com rated it as the fastest disc in the world in 08.

Yeah. i've been throwing an illusion some lately, and that thing RIPS out of the hand. Discgolfreviews.com rated it as the fastest disc in the world in 08.

yea I miss my illusion :( is yours the E plastic? I had a blurr in that plastic, my illusion was the standard extremely hard type. The blurr made a funny noise whenever it hit something. You should try thumbering/tomahawkign the illusion if you tommy at all :)

oh and i just looked at discgolfreview.com and it's domain is pending with godaddy, so site is down :(

This is hole # 3 in Kingwood, TX . This little tree has really suffered:

treehits.jpg

I played in a tournament at Sylmar, CA a while ago. It is a wooded course and some of the holes have trees within 10' in the front and they're all scarred up.

yea I miss my illusion :( is yours the E plastic? I had a blurr in that plastic, my illusion was the standard extremely hard type. The blurr made a funny noise whenever it hit something. You should try thumbering/tomahawkign the illusion if you tommy at all :)

yeah mine is. I'm actually just borrowing it from a friend. It does make that funny hollow sound when it hits a tree, but I only throw it on open holes because it's not mine.

The old number 8 (now # 11 I believe) has a pine tree about 15 feet infront of the tee, and it must have 500-600 disc marks on it. Next time I am there I will snap a picture.

The old number 8 (now # 11 I believe) has a pine tree about 15 feet infront of the tee, and it must have 500-600 disc marks on it. Next time I am there I will snap a picture.

Wait a second. Are you talking about THE number 8??? The one with the hole??? Wow, I thought it was just a myth. Does it really exist?

Last edited:
This is hole # 3 in Kingwood, TX . This little tree has really suffered:

You should see if there is any way that you can get the Indians to stop firing arrows at it. Might help a little. I've seen way worse than that though. I hate the course that has the real tree beating, but I'll take some pics if my friends drag me out there.

Funny, just today my friend noticed that a not so big tree to the right close of the tee on a hole seemed to have taken quiet a few hits in it. The branches at the left of it were, how can i put it, practically nonexistant compared to its right side :)

....Some of the scars are so high I don't know how people got them up that high with enough velocity to make a scar. I expect these to die the death of a thousand cuts. Kinda sad, really.

Maybe some of those scars are from years ago and the tree grew.

Coldbrook in Kalamazoo, MI has some trees with tile tubing protecting the trunks of the trees. I don't know the proper term for it, but it's the black tubing used for water drainage. The tree on the left side of this photo has it wrapped around the trunk.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/view_image.php?p=course_pics/438/a8c33639.jpg

Latest posts