• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Getting to 450'

Drumba

Hi everyone. First time poster here. Stuck at 400-420'. I borrowed a TechDisc from a friend and found that the "McBeth" throw style gives me the most MPH, so I switched from a more controlled "Drew Gibson" style. My best throw on the TechDisc is 66.1mph with 1261 spin and 0 degree nose angle. My second best throw was 65.1/1312/2.4 degrees nose up. I typically struggle with nose up. Happy to receive feedback/constructive criticism on my form to get some more MPH, distance, and consistent nose angle release (they all go together). Help would be appreciated it. Oh, I know you might say I plant open to the target. That tape line is my aiming line so the vantage point by which I filmed this makes my foot look open. Judge for yourselves if it's 90 degrees or not. It may be 91 degrees.

I've also been trying to incorporate the Turbo Encabulator and Swivel Stairs. Probably terribly, but it's a process. Again, just telling yall where I am but am very open to feedback. Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:
You are pushing upward during your stride instead of dropping lower. Note how your rear hip goes up and Paul's drops significantly. Easiest to look at the bottom of the shirt/yellow line.
Screen Shot 2024-01-25 at 7.58.20 PM.png

My future posts will be shorter. I like doing a "workup" the first time that you can refer back to.

Keep doing:
1. McBeth swing thought. It looks like it helps you keep rhythm and balance and shift fairly abrupt and quick into the plant.
2. You are getting some body momentum and mass into the move athletically. Don't lose that when you start to tweak things.
3. Your overall stance width is probably somewhere close to where you want to be for now; you need to improve posture and motion to maximize it.

Stop doing:
1. Drills without feedback. Almost everyone does them wrong at first. That's often worse than doing nothing.
2. Over and over, people add way too many steps before they maximize what happens in the final two steps. You are using five. Your first two steps give you eyes on the target and gain momentum (good), but then you are spoiling much of it by the third step (bad).
3. Jamming up into your brace and throwing somewhat flat (posturally) and "over the top." Your shoulder and pocket are collapsing. Your leading shoulder is rising all the way above your chin because it has nowhere else to go due to jamming up on your plant leg and hip. If you don't hurt now, all of these are associated with injury risks in the long run.

1706277821235.png
4. You are swinging your disc, arm, and body somewhat out of posture, making your body careen out of ideal balance into followthrow.

Fixes:
1. Work on these for at least 2-3 weeks before new form check.
2. Drop the first two steps for now. I advise spending more time on standstills than X-step for now.*
3. Start with your overall stance more relaxed and more perpendicular to the target for now (i.e., closer to where any pro would be in their 3rd to last step).
4. Fix the lean away in transition. You basically might as well not even be X-stepping at that point! McBeth has his Center of Mass leveraged inside of his rear ankle moving ahead of it like walking or running.

1706278682321.png
5. You are not really coiling and your overall posture is somewhat flat, which is part of why your hips aren't moving correctly. Most mortals have mobility/flexibility issues they need to address before they have a pro range of motion. Swivel stairs is good, but get feedback. Door frame, Load the Bow. Some Swing Drills. In any case:

1706279349381.png

Notice there also that Simon looks and probably feels like he is moving "downhill" even though the teepad is pretty flat. Momentum trick.

*Plenty of people ignore this advice, but there are good reasons some people here learn to throw farther than you with standstills and then get ~20% gains in their X-steps. On the flip side, some people ignore this advice, make modest gains and perform ok-ish, and live with the problems they didn't fix. No judgment, just an observation and food for thought. I'm personally ok with intermixing them if the standstill shows mastery of the principle, but not before. This guy knows a thing or two about it:

Last and perhaps most important, if you get input from Sidewinder22, listen to him.

Go get it!

Last edited:
My future posts will be shorter. I like doing a "workup" the first time that you can refer back to.

Keep doing:
1. McBeth swing thought. It looks like it helps you keep rhythm and balance and shift fairly abrupt and quick into the plant.
2. You are getting some body momentum and mass into the move athletically. Don't lose that when you start to tweak things.
3. Your overall stance width is probably somewhere close to where you want to be for now; you need to improve posture and motion to maximize it.

Stop doing:
1. Drills without feedback. Almost everyone does them wrong at first. That's often worse than doing nothing.
2. Over and over, people add way too many steps before they maximize what happens in the final two steps. You are using five. Your first two steps give you eyes on the target and gain momentum (good), but then you are spoiling much of it by the third step (bad).
3. Jamming up into your brace and throwing somewhat flat (posturally) and "over the top." Your shoulder and pocket are collapsing. Your leading shoulder is rising all the way above your chin because it has nowhere else to go due to jamming up on your plant leg and hip. If you don't hurt now, all of these are associated with injury risks in the long run.

View attachment 331347
4. You are swinging your disc, arm, and body somewhat out of posture, making your body careen out of ideal balance into followthrow.

Fixes:
2. Drop the first two steps for now. I advise spending more time on standstills than X-step for now.*
3. Start with your overall stance more relaxed and more perpendicular to the target for now (i.e., closer to where any pro would be in their 3rd to last step).
4. Fix the lean away in transition. You basically might as well not even be X-stepping at that point! McBeth has his Center of Mass leveraged inside of his rear ankle moving ahead of it like walking or running.

View attachment 331348
5. You are not really coiling and your overall posture is somewhat flat, which is part of why your hips aren't moving correctly. Most mortals have mobility/flexibility issues they need to address before they have a pro range of motion. Swivel stairs is good, but get feedback. Door frame, Load the Bow. Some Swing Drills. In any case:

View attachment 331349

Notice there also that Simon looks and probably feels like he is moving "downhill" even though the teepad is pretty flat. Momentum trick.

*Plenty of people ignore this advice, but there are good reasons some people here learn to throw farther than you with standstills and then get ~20% gains in their X-steps. On the flip side, some people ignore this advice, make modest gains and perform ok-ish, and live with the problems they didn't fix. No judgment, just an observation and food for thought. I'm personally ok with intermixing them if the standstill shows mastery of the principle, but not before. This guy knows a thing or two about it:

Last and perhaps most important, if you get input from Sidewinder22, listen to him.

Go get it!

Hey Brychanus! I really appreciate your help, and like how you highlighted some good, some bad, and a plan to change. I did a throw session that included Turbo Encabulator and Swing Drill and really trying to coil and weight shift before the throw. It looks kind of ugly now but most form changes look gnarly at the beginning. Can you please look at this to make sure I'm working on the right things? I don't want to be working on stuff incorrectly for the next 2-3 weeks.

Keep doing:

Stop doing:

View attachment 331347

Fixes:

View attachment 331348

View attachment 331349

Go get it!

Ok so I've been working on standstills. What I've mainly been working on is weight shift from back to front leg by swinging my hips as a pendulum. And thinking of my shoulder as a pendulum so I'm not jamming up. And I've been focusing on coiling as well. I'm still working on implementing the hip drop on the door frame drill but that's hard to do without getting too wide on my stride.
To my surprise I'm getting more MPH on my standstill than my X step right now.

How's it looking?

Attachments

• IMG_1894.png
    IMG_1894.png
    412.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts