• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help Me! I dont understand the rules for jump putts

Dr3wska

What i dont understand is when its legal to jump putt and what other rules r there with the jump putt like if u land on your marker if thats a penalty er what. Someone please give me clarity so if i try to use a jump putt in my first tournament i dont do something illegal and look stupid.

you have to be outside the circle (10 meters around the basket.) You have to release the disc before you jump. I'm sure someone will link you that David Feldberg video where he goes in depth. Anyone have that?

Yeah Adam has it right. If you are within the putting circle (10 meters or 30 feet), then you must stand behind youre mini and putt and cannot cross the mini after the disc leaves youre hand. You must show that you have held balance throughout the entire putt before you can go get the disc. (Most players pick up there mini and then move on). Outside the putting circle you are allowed to jump putt. Meaning you can jump from behind the mini and putt as long as youve released the disc before you land. Or you can stand behind the mini and putt and cross once the disc has left youre hand.

Yeah Adam has it right. If you are within the putting circle (10 meters or 30 feet), then you must stand behind youre mini and putt and cannot cross the mini after the disc leaves youre hand. You must show that you have held balance throughout the entire putt before you can go get the disc. (Most players pick up there mini and then move on). Outside the putting circle you are allowed to jump putt. Meaning you can jump from behind the mini and putt as long as youve released the disc before you land. Or you can stand behind the mini and putt and cross once the disc has left youre hand.

This is wrong. You must release the disc before your foot leaves the ground.
If it was the way you have it written above someone could long jump from the edge of the circle and try to toss it in before they landed. Funny to see but not legal.

Last edited:
yeah, it should have been called a "putt jump" cause thats the order in which the rule was written

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that they were going to be placing restrictions on / doin away with the "putt-jump".

Here's the link: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11704&highlight=foot+fault

the short of it is that he explains how even pro disc golfers have been misinterpreting the rule for years, and they want to start enforcing the correct "jump putt" or what should be the "putt-jump" rule. So technically jump putts are Illegal, although I see everyone do it anyway (even in my 1st tourney I played this winter).

I personally don't care if someone in my group takes a jump putt (from outside 10m), but some people who play tourneys might. I say go ahead and play like you normally do in the tourney until someone calls you on it. I believe you get a warning before any penalty strokes, etc.

edit: That being said, the OLD understanding of the rule says that you can do your normal jump putt from outside the circle (10m). I don't know what's currently being enforced around the nation.... anyone have encounters with this?

i get it...

but what is the purpose? who cares if you have control within 30 feet?

Do other sports incorporate such a rule? I have no problem with it. But why?? What's the point?

No matter where you are throwing, anywhere on the course, you must have a point of support on the ground behind your lie, either your properly placed mini or the disc you previously threw as it landed, when you release the disc with no other point of contact closer to the hole. You are allowed to cross that line after you release as long as you are not inside the 10m circle, which is more like 33ft and change. The point in making this rule is so that people wouldn't get an unfair advantage based on how tall they are, allowing them to fall as close to the basket as possible before releasing their disc. I can just imagine Patrick Ewing taking up disc golf because he could slam dunk every putt from basically 10ft and in. Yes it is a confusing rule and no there isn't much else in sports out there like this. Face it though, Disc Golf is its own unique thing and the rule does make sense. Interpreting and enforcing this rule should happen in much the same way all the rules in ball golf are enforced, and to this point in disc golf they are minus the fact that a majority of the people playing Disc Golf do not understand the rule, yes even some pros do not understand the rule, or simply are not honorable enough to enforce the rule.

You can't cross the free throw line in basketball until the ball touches the rim.

But I have trouble from time to time keeping "balance" after putting. I'm always falling forward.

I stand corrected on my comment on rules in other sports from my previous post. Good call KoopaTroopa.

i get it...

but what is the purpose? who cares if you have control within 30 feet?

Do other sports incorporate such a rule? I have no problem with it. But why?? What's the point?

it gives you that extra push needed to get to the basket. i don't see the point in it unless i'm putting from about 60 ft. out. a jump putt any closer, tells me, that i'm not getting any power in my putts to begin with, so the jump putt wouldn't be my fix, more snap and power in the putt would be.

i rarely jump putt. it really only happens on accident when i am putting, again, from like 60+ ft. when it's done intentionally, i spray putts everywhere.

i, personally, have much better luck almost flickin the disc back hand. not a full rotation of the arm, but like i said, just a back hand flick i guess to float the shot close to the basket.

the 50/50 putt i call it. it's either going in or landing right next to the pin. great idea for those in doubles games, when you're the first to approach the basket. try and make it, but if you miss you're RIGHT THERE!!!...then you're doubles partner can run at it.