• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me reach 500'

Looking at some comments on podskii's thread: SW22 or anyone else familiar with internal vs external hip dominance:

I am certainly very internally hip dominant. Any position that requires both hips to be externally rotated (i.e. wide stance low-bar squat or a plie position) is uncomfortable. As far as to how that relates to disc golf, how does that affect the throw?

Looking at some comments on podskii's thread: SW22 or anyone else familiar with internal vs external hip dominance:

I am certainly very internally hip dominant. Any position that requires both hips to be externally rotated (i.e. wide stance low-bar squat or a plie position) is uncomfortable. As far as to how that relates to disc golf, how does that affect the throw?
Your footwork should be similar to Feldberg or KJUSA.

1.5 year update

The beginning of this thread, in October 2021, I was throwing 380-400' maximum. One and a half years later, I can confidently say I've improved to throwing 480-500' regularly. For anyone interested, you should view my opening form post and compare it to now - quite a bit has changed.

Today, I played around with various ideas and found that SW22 and Brychanus were right. My throw was very "rotational", as I was squeezing speed out by getting extreme upper body rotation relative to my hips. Today, I tried to throw with a different "feel" in mind, specifically with a "pulling straight and fast towards the target" rather than an emphasis on rotating further back.

It worked well. Five out of six throws went 480'+, with the furthest going 507'. Throws were all hyzer-flips with moderate height, certainly not max distance lines. Wind conditions were not ideal for distance either, with a strong right to left that kept the discs from getting full flight.

Below are two of those throws. The first was the 507' throw (Innova Boss), and the second was 487' (Destroyer).

I'm wuite happy to have improved as much as I have, and I think with further improvement I could push to 550'.

The beginning of this thread, in October 2021, I was throwing 380-400' maximum. One and a half years later, I can confidently say I've improved to throwing 480-500' regularly. For anyone interested, you should view my opening form post and compare it to now - quite a bit has changed.

Today, I played around with various ideas and found that SW22 and Brychanus were right. My throw was very "rotational", as I was squeezing speed out by getting extreme upper body rotation relative to my hips. Today, I tried to throw with a different "feel" in mind, specifically with a "pulling straight and fast towards the target" rather than an emphasis on rotating further back.

It worked well. Five out of six throws went 480'+, with the furthest going 507'. Throws were all hyzer-flips with moderate height, certainly not max distance lines. Wind conditions were not ideal for distance either, with a strong right to left that kept the discs from getting full flight.

Below are two of those throws. The first was the 507' throw (Innova Boss), and the second was 487' (Destroyer).

I'm wuite happy to have improved as much as I have, and I think with further improvement I could push to 550'.

Nice - 500' is nothing to scoff at in my book, congratulations :)

I think if you're looking for more you can probably still keep cleaning up how you load and compress and shift off the rear side a bit. Not quite a full ride the bull move landing stacked on the front leg. Still little shades of the previous posture issues there. I'd be curious how it looks in a rear view when available.

Any pain points in the body?

Nope, no pain. Everything feels nice and easy during the throw. I get a bit sore in my rhomboids and lower traps after a long (1.5 hr+) throwing practice, but that's to be expected, I think.

Curious where SW would attack next.

It's definitely improved in your form, but I'm wondering if some of the muscular load is just a little high in your back based on what you're describing - maybe residual issues in posture going back to a bit of goat hump/anterior pelvic tilt. Would def want a 2nd opinion from SW there.

Looks like you are trying to move uphill and staying too open, while CD is moving more downhill and turned further back.
Screen Shot 2023-08-24 at 7.27.05 PM.png

SW22, I assume by "moving uphill" you mean my CoG is to far backwards at this point (behind my plant) and that you are not referring to the angle of the hips? Other pros (see Eagle below) are about the same hip angle and "openness" at the same point, but their CoG seems to be universally above or slightly ahead of their planted foot.

DG Form .png

The open part typically has to do with how far you trying to throw.
I think you are seeing some shirt illusion. The uphill just seems inefficient.
Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 6.18.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 6.22.32 PM.png

I haven't had time to get out to a field since the last video, but I worked on the "uphill" movement and my off-arm movement, really trying to collapse the elbow and knee together. I know this is just a "dry fire" throw, but it seems to be an improvement.

Thoughts?

You are too over your toes and not really clearing/redirecting your front hip and shoulder back inside posture. Your upperbody is falling/folding over top your hip collapsing. Note how Simon stays more inside/deeper toward the heel/east/right tee side and his right hip/cheek is pushed back into the wall in buttwipe drill and finishing more chest up.

I'm not sure your choice of shoes are very conducive to lateral stability and planting more into your heel.

simon inside posture xstep rel trip am copy.png

Latest posts