• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What to work on? - RHBH ~300 feet

Oleelo99

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx-aXoH5dxw

Hi!
Over the last two years I've gotten better because of increased consistency, better angle-control, better putting, and a better forehand, but I feel like my backhand distance has stagnated. My consistent max distance is about 300-320 feet. Any advice on what I should focus on to improve my technique and gain distance? Please be as concrete as possible in your advice, including how to work on it.

In advance, thanks for replying!

1. Way too stiff and way too linear. Loosen up and feel the weight of your arm and body. The swing plane is neither straight nor flat. Your elbow is pointing at the ground while your leading shoulder is sloped to the sky, whereas they should be working more as a unit.

h7rjzuN.png

2. Your X-step is ahead of your center of gravity and decelerating you rather than accelerating you into the plant. You might as well not even X-step. You need to learn to throw with momentum and your mAss.

3. No obvious use of gravity moving your body into the swing overall and crowded posture with anterior pelvic tilt "humping the goat". You get trapped by your plant foot and don't fully deweight, putting too much twisting through the lumbar region (it shouldn't twist!). You will eventually probably hurt something trying to swing for distance like that. Shift your whole body more parabolically and swing free.

Eyz5FEk.png

4. Never a bad time to learn the basics on one leg. If SW can throw a Banger GT 300' like this with a less than ideal body type you could probably learn to get that or more (with patience) with your body type:

IMO, somewhere between 250 and 350 feet is typical for newbs. From there, we start trying to put more power in to the throw and end up hurting ourselves.

Not that you shouldn't develop distance, but how you increase distance matters.

Work on your stand still. Optimize that, then add a single step.

Everybody is different and im reflecting my bad choices. I was focused on distance and hurt myself in the process. Whatever you do, pay attention to your body. A few extra feet won't matter if you can't play.

Video: https://youtu.be/L1uZs4B8r1U

I tried doing a more relaxed arm while trying the one leg drill. I also tried being a bit more bent at the hips. Does it look like I´m doing it somewhat correct? I don´t immediately feel like I´m learning much from it, but I might just need to keep doing it for a while? Is there anything I should adjust? I´ve watched the videos a few times, but I don´t think I understand all the concepts.

Here is a more recent video of me throwing. I tried mimicking some of Philo's technique because I thought it might make it easier to feel the weight of my body's momentum moving forward, potentially making it easier to control when I hit peak reachback and making it easier to get into a position in the reachback where the right should is lower than the left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avKJsU2tEi8

This is my own understanding of certain concepts and what I should focus on to improve, anything that seems blatantly wrong, or priorities I should change?
  1. Where I'm looking. For example looking more down as I x-step and not looking towards the target until I have relased the disc. I suspect looking forward too early makes me rotate too quickly and makes it harder to release at 10' o clock. I don't know what else to do to correct the release point. Do I need to actively break my rotational energy? Do I need to more actively hammer out my forearm or "stretch" it more away from the body?
  2. Shorter x-step
  3. A potential point is a more fluid motion when throwing slower. When I speed up my run-up significantly, it sometimes feels way better, both in "feel" and in hitting my angles. I don't know whether I should accept a faster run up or fix certain things in my slower run up instead?
  4. Get to peak reachback later and iniate my pull through after my heel hits the ground (after the weight shift). I suspect that a shorter x-step might help with this. Also contemplating adding a certain pump to make it easier to delay. I think I might also have a too active pull-through, but I don't know how to work on that.
  5. More neutral shoulder angle in pull-through and relase. As far as I understand, you kind of want your left hip to push your right hip in the pull-through / weight shift, and your right hip to finish higher? But then not matching your body position to this?
  6. Fixing release nose-angle? It looks to me like I'm doing something towards the end of the throw where my disc gets a slight nose-up at the very end. I don't know why or whether this is worth working on yet.

I have a hard time understanding what is meant by the claim that the swing plane is not flat. I would think that it would be pretty flat on a flat throw at least. I understand having a more relaxed posture than I have in the first video, but other than that, it just seems like a recipe to throw hyzer to me.

Also, it seems to me that some twisting in the lumbar region is necessary to coil, to get some seperation between the shoulder rotation and the hips?

At times, I feel like I'm stuck in this cycle of trying to work on my technique to get better, but mostly just making my technique worse for a while without much improvement afterwards. I start off motivated to get better by watching videos, doing some drills, doing field work, filming myself, and playing a lot. This is followed by a period of decreasing motivation as I fail to really make any significant changes in my form and my form becomes increasingly rigid as I overthink everything. As I start thinking less about technique while throwing, I gradually become more loose and start to "improve". The "improvement", however, doesn't really feel that different from my pre-form-work technique. At times, it feels like I'm having a period of making myself worse through technique work, followed by a period of getting back to my "normal" form. It also makes me question if I understand the concepts that I've seen so many videos about. Any tips for getting through such periods of demotivation, where disc golf seems significantly less fun?