• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me with my 2015 bag

Twojsquared

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 2 years off and on just now getting into it seriously.

Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed

Throwing Style: Working to learn RHBH as I've found this is a must have skill on 90% of courses, Natural RHFH, Also have a 400' tomahawk

Golf Distance (avg/max*)
Driving:
Tomahawk 400' max, Forehand 350-400, back hand 250-300

Putting: 25-30' I'll try for chains 30+ I'm parking it

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: I shattered my knee when I was 18 I have a mental block where I'm scared to plant hard on my throw.

Other sport proficiencies?: I was a side arm pitcher in baseball, could regularly throw high 80s, which is why I think I feel so unnatural RHBH throwing. I also have very powerful legs from skateboarding when I was younger.

Additional Information: Author's discretion
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?:

Drivers: I feel I just have a completely random mix of discs and when I come up to the next hole I'm just guessing at what disc to throw. I want to have a specific group of discs for specific situations.

MidRange: I only have 2 midrange discs and I'm not crazy about either of them. People often tell me to get a Buzz but I'm confused because there are so many versions of them.

Putters: I'm happy with my Judge and Wizard but I want something I can feel confident in throwing 30'+

Specific areas of desired feedback: I'm really working on my RHBH throwing I think I just about have my form down I'll post a video next week for some suggestions but I feel my discs are the main thing holding me back now, and my knowledge of the game. The guys I play with in league are often telling me what disc to use in what situation.

Immediate and long-term goals: Getting distance out of my RHBH throws and working on extending my putting distance. Also being able to throw effectively in the wind. I can't believe how some people can get their discs to glide with ease in a headwind. When I throw into a head wind my disc no matter how flat I let go always gets tilted up and take off to the left. Lastly I would really like to feel confident about entering a tournament by the end of the year. Not win it or anything but at least be able to shoot good enough to not embarrass myself.

I average between 62-65 on http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3719. It is a very nice course with some tight OB lines (to me anyways) For an idea of my skill level.

With my drivers I feel like I don't know what I like I have just a completely random selection. I'm working on getting my backhand to 350-400 feet to rely less on my Aerobie especially since I cant throw that in the wind. I'm looking for any suggestions here.

Drivers:
2x 166-169 Aerobie Epic A+ ( I can tomahawk this disc have it flip over and glide 350-400 feet straight as an arrow)

170 MVP Neutron C- (I just bought this but I get very poor distance with it)

168 Innova GStar Boss B+ (I get the best distance out of this disc when throwing backhand)

175 Innova Pro Starfire C (Super average disc I never find myself throwing it because I have better options)

166 Innova Star Katana A-C (Either I throw this disc amazing or I throw it horribly wrong I'm almost scared to throw it because I don't think my game is good enough to handle it yet)

170-172 Discraft Rogue B ( I like this disc but have trouble getting distance out of it sometimes)

169 Innova Arch Angel A (This really should be classified as a mid as I use it on short holes 200' I can park this consistently and is my go to disc on a short hole.

172 Dynamic Discs Trespass ? ( I just bought this disc and have only throw it 2-3 times but I love what I have seen so far with it.

My midrange is trash, my game heavily relies on trying to park it as close to the basket as I can so I can use my putter. I really would like to add a good midrange or two to my bag.

Midrange:
170-172 DGA Squall B (I like this disc a lot it is my go to midrange, not that I really have any options)

177 Innova Pro Roc C ( This disc is great for when I land behind a tree near the basket or don't have a clear shot but I wouldn't dare try to throw it with a clean line of sight and 200' to go)

I don't have consistency in my putters, I love the Wizard and Judge and I think I'll pick up some spares for practicing. The problem with my putting options is I have nothing I feel comfortable shooting from 25+ feet out, I feel I lose control with the Judge and Wizard at that distance but it may just be my form.

Putters:
175 Dynamic Discs Judge Classic A
175 Gateway Supersoft Wizard A-
175 Gateway Warlock C (I found this disc the first time I ever went out playing mostly just keep it in my bag for good luck)
175 Innova Birdie D (Probably just give this disc to my dog,)

Feel free to trash my bag as hard as you want I need all the constructive criticism I can get.

Last edited:
Ok as far as drivers go the MVP, Neutron is the plastic type so no clue what it is. As far as the others like the boss, Starfire, rogue and trespass in general they are all stable to over stable drivers so you have a bit of overlap. I would probably drop two of them. The Katana is very finicky on height, nose angle, and angle of release so you have to release it very consistently to get the same results every time but it is a great disc, same goes for the archangel with them both being undetstable. I might add in a neutral flight driver like an Innova Archon or Beast that should fly dead straight.

You lack any fairway drivers so you might consider adding a teebird and leopard for those shots that are to far for a mid range but to short for a distance driver (the archangel works for the leopard honestly)

For Mids the roc is a great choice, I'm not familiar with the squall. I'd add in a neutral disc like a Mako or a Stingray to give you those extra options on angles for upshots.

Putters look excellent you just need practice with them you might consider getting 2-3 identical to your main putter for putting practice to build confidence and consistency.

I'd pick up some fairways. Leopard for backhand for now. With your forehand distance I think you could throw a firebird pretty well with consistent results and could give you some different overhand lines. I'd dump a lot of the discs you have personally, you seem to have a lot of under stables which seems why your having some issues. Your not getting the boss anywhere near flight speed backhand.

And I'm not sure which discs are forehand/ backhand/ overhand besides the epic and boss. So my opinion might be crap.

Work on backhand. Healthy person like yourself should be able to throw 400 backhand with many flaws. Prolly some obvious stuff you could fix without much problems. Just getting past 400 takes dedication.

Latest posts