• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help: retrieve a disc out of a drain

seedlings

* Ace Member *
I need some ingenuity.

Lucky me, I hit a tree and a new eclipse reactor went into and down a drain. There is no cover to remove for access, The disc is a few feet below ground level. There is a 24" diameter corrugated tube that exits the drain and spits out into a creek. Looking up the tube 20 feet or so, I can see the disc glowing.

Since I didn't take a picture, imagine retrieving a disc from a curb sewer drain (with no access cover). How would you try to get the disc back? You have a small opening to reach into horizontally, then down vertically, but out of reach.

Hmm... If this was 30yrs ago i might have had the thing to retrieve it. Me and my brother had an extensive erector set and one of the pieces we made once was an arm with plastic fingers that could be manipulated by pulling on some rings that were around where an elbow would be. It could have been modified to go around a corner i would think but tt would probably be cheaper to just buy a new disc though.

Cut and bend metal coat hangers to reach around and hook it?

Push it further down the drainpipe so you can reach it with an extendable disc retriever?

That's all I got...

I was able to retrieve one in a curb drain once, by taking a pole of some sort, and putting a thick wad of duct tape, sticky side out, on the end. I was able to press to pole and tape onto the disc hard enough that it stuck, and I very carefully pulled it out.

It took some time, patience, and lots of profanity to execute.

You could buy a Kwik-stik or something similar but you could also order a couple new discs for the same price. Some sort of coat hanger contraption plus the duct tape suggestion may be your best bet.

You could buy a Kwik-stik or something similar but you could also order a couple new discs for the same price. Some sort of coat hanger contraption plus the duct tape suggestion may be your best bet.

The Kwik-stik is probably the best solution (they weren't around when I did the duct tape thing).

If you play much around water, you'll probably like having one.

If not, the best deal is to find a local player with one, who'll let you use it.

Can you reach the disc horizontally thru that pipe or do you need to pull it up vertical?

Imagine a 3 foot cube hole with a regular curb sewer drain opening at the top. From the side, bottom of that cube, the pipe goes down 20' at a 45* angle.

Tough access either way. I'm going by there at lunch to see if my 10y old son might be able to scramble in there \\safely//

Imagine a 3 foot cube hole with a regular curb sewer drain opening at the top. From the side, bottom of that cube, the pipe goes down 20' at a 45* angle.

Tough access either way. I'm going by there at lunch to see if my 10y old son might be able to scramble in there \\safely//

If you had a long enough pole with some give (my brain goes to the tent pole in my garage) could you push it farther down the tube closer to the exit point, then poke in there with some kind of something to fish it out?

Or maybe I'm imagining the situation all wrong lol.

I can't fully visualize, but a high-powered leaf blower could possibly move it along.

New Thread

I need some ingenuity.

Lucky me, my son went into and down a drain. There is no cover to remove for access, My son is a few feet below ground level. There is a 24" diameter corrugated tube that exits the drain and spits out into a creek. Looking up the tube 20 feet or so, I can see my son.

Since I didn't take a picture, imagine retrieving my son from a curb sewer drain (with no access cover). How would you try to get my son back? You have a small opening to reach into horizontally, then down vertically, but out of reach.

Enter.....................the evil clown. :p

Last edited:
New Thread

I need some ingenuity.

Lucky me, my son went into and down a drain. There is no cover to remove for access, My son is a few feet below ground level. There is a 24" diameter corrugated tube that exits the drain and spits out into a creek. Looking up the tube 20 feet or so, I can see my son.

Since I didn't take a picture, imagine retrieving my son from a curb sewer drain (with no access cover). How would you try to get my son back? You have a small opening to reach into horizontally, then down vertically, but out of reach.

Enter.....................the evil clown. :p

I mean.....i'm very partial to my children. But. In today's age, kids are probably easier to replace than discs :p

I got it. #10 ground wire in one hand, phone camera and light in the other to see. Only took an hour splayed out in the dirt and poison ivy. No children involved. No clowns.

Bonus, I found a 163g Mako3 with no ink :|

Awesome!!! Next time, try using one of those 25' long Fat-Max tape measures, I've seen it done before to grab a disc out of a storm drain.

Latest posts